App limit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MCRrokz, Dec 23, 2008.

1. MCRrokz

MCRrokz Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I discovered the limit on the number of apps that could be installed on your ipod, some of you may have seen this already though. I really don't like it, you can only have 9 pages of apps on your ipod. We pay for these apps so we should be able to use all of them when we want to. And no, my memory was not used up. When I install an app from the app store, itunes says that it is on my ipod but i can't see it.
    Itunes or a developer needs to fix this. they need to make more pages and they or a developer needs to make a whole new app, simply called "apps". The "apps" app could just list your apps like you were looking at your songs and you could design your own categories to put them in like playlists. The "apps" app would really make it easier for those of us with 150+ apps, so we don't have to scroll through all the pages.

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I agree. Something has to be done! :)

3. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    148apps isn't good enough!

4. MCRrokz

MCRrokz Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thank you!

5. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm also pissed off with the preexisting applications that you can't delete. I don't need stocks (i just check msn), weather (prefer weatherbug), calculator (haven't used it once), contacts (it's just redundant of phone), and clock (other than alarm, what the hell do I ever use that for).

Notes should be integrated in calendar, itunes/apps should be combined, and photos and camera should be just one program.

Apple should at least give us users who haven't had their phones jailbreaked some kind of organizing sub folders capability. 148 is not nearly enough.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I agree about the stock apps. Now that the AppStore is available all those apps need to be made free there. Especially YouTube and Google Maps, then Google could release new versions faster.

As for the 148 apps... Well 148 is the maximum you are visible. You can still add apps you just won't be able to see them.

If you have a Jailbroken iphone you can use QuickGold or Categories to Launch apps and not worry about that pesky limit

7. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    This is the third time I see people talking about the app limit today. Funny that it seems to be a hot subject today!

While I limit the amount of apps I have on my iPod Touch myself, it would be cool if Apple set a higher limit. Quite some people are hurt by the limit and have to remove apps they purchased from their device simply because there is not enough place on their 9 pages.

8. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I've deleted soooo many apps, just because I've bought new ones, it's really annoying 148 apps is a joke.

9. InsolentDreams

InsolentDreams Well-Known Member

There is a possible solution... though you won't like it...

There is a possible solution to the "app limit". Basically if you unlock your phone and download the app "Categories" it allows you to create and have subfolders.

Check it out here: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1047445/iphone_app_categories/

I have this on my unlocked phone (I have a few devices, some for testing) but I haven't tested the max app limit on it. I will test it when I get a chance and let you guys know, though this is really a limited option as most of you don't really have a spare device to play with and unlocking your phone can be a real problem. It's not as bad if you just have a iPod, but it is a risk unlocking your primary phone.

Anyway, my point is... I am hoping Apple adds something like this. This would let us all group our applications into our own personal folders.

For example on how this works... on my unlocked phone I have a "internet" folder, "games" folder, "reallife" folder (for apps like urbanspoon and loopd), and a few others. I have no pages to go through on my phone to scroll through, only folders. It is nice!

10. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

I agree with the folder idea.

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

The folders would be a better idea, because the 9 pages is too many already. The flicking through pages gets old, fast. But I don't like folders either, since they all have the same icon, and they look strange. They need to do something, but I don't know what. :(

12. MCRrokz

MCRrokz Active Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I also agree with the folder idea.

13. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Is there any specific reason that there can only be 9 visible page (some limitation that I don't know about), or is it just Apple deciding people only need 9 Pages for apps? I need more room for apps, whether it be folders or more pages (preferably folders :)).

14. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I totally agree with your idea. Perhaps someone can send that idea to Apple Customer Care so that it could be implemented in their next update?

* Before I purchase my iPod Touch I didn't even realise that there would be any limitation on how many apps we can installed. In just 1 month I already purchased/downloaded ~135 apps. Who knows what more new app would appear next year?