App Idea...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Wegmans, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Not sure where to post this, but I thought i'd see what you folks thought about this idea...

I would like an application that allows me to view all my addresses/bookmarks on the map AT THE SAME TIME. I know i can add pins to the built-in map app, but it would be great if there was an application that takes it a step further.. When you view a list you can see what is closest to you, etc.

What i would like to do is when you go to the grocery store, hardware store, Best Buy, etc. you can place a bookmark on the map, add your comments, and then view it on the map.. This would be a great way to spatially view places, instead of just on a list.

Ideally this would be combined with AroundMe's features of sorting things by distance..

Does this make sense? I've been searching through the app store for something similar, but i keep coming up with Geocaching apps..

I'd be willing to subsidize this program to bring it to fruition.

2. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    whoa...hold on...Geocaching apps? where>?

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #3 NotYou, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  4. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    awesome, but that only got my hopes up until i remembered that i only have a 1st gen touch, so unless its by a wifi...i dont think it will work

i like your idea by the way
    visual contacts

5. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Thanks Lynch! hmm yeah i guess this would only be useful for iPhone users.. but i'm serious about subsidizing this, so pass the word along.. I think it could be a winner

6. mek

mek Well-Known Member

to program this
    i would retrieve the contact data from the users phone, store it into an array
    then parse it into strings that would be load into a UIWebView and google's map api

but to correctly identify each contact, you would either a physical address, or lat/long. coordinates

this can ben done

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

something like this maybe

Code:
    -(IBAction)openMaps {
    	// Where is Apple on the map anyway?
    	NSString* addressText = @"1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014";
    	// URL encode the spaces
    	addressText =  [addressText stringByAddingPercentEscapesUsingEncoding: NSASCIIStringEncoding];	
    	NSString* urlText = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%@", addressText];
    	// lets throw this text on the log so we can view the url in the event we have an issue
    	NSLog(urlText);
    	[[UIApplication sharedApplication] openURL:[NSURL URLWithString:urlText]];

8. mek

mek Well-Known Member

one thing to consider....is it a violation of the google maps terms of use?
    technically all you are doing is embedding a UIWebView to your UIViewController and having the UIWebView load the google maps URL. so its kinda like a browser accessing and loading the maps, by selling an app, or releasing it, which depends upon their services..does it violate the TOS?

just something to look into