iPad app-cracking ... justified ?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by applesauce25r624, Dec 3, 2008.

1. WOW !

I didn't realize that companies can bait-and-switch paying customers by making their apps ad-supported after they have already been paid for (read thread below).

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=1674

Is the app business a free-for-all in which both customers and developers can screw each other over?

Apple obviously doesn't care or there would have been regulations to stop this kind of shady business.

They allow developers to earn money for BOTH the original price of the app AND advertising revenue!

Are cracked apps justified?

Your thoughts, please!

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Of course not.

Nowadays, with the global and freedom feeling that internet brings to all our spirits the only thing that companies should do is to make their applications available for ALL countries unless the law forbids for some reason (which is really rare).

Restrain access is an act against freedom. The business model has changed a long time ago and they HAVE TO change as well.

Man! I think I'm completely out of the topic... Sorry.

3. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Not justified at all. One in a million apps this happens. And if you tell Apple they will probably give you a refund.

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    App cracking is not justified. There's been a few threads recently surrounding cracked-ups. And as indicated in those threads, people will crack apps if so they choose and nothing anyone will say will change their minds, but this is one more reason for them to "justify" it.
    If the developer is shadey, then simply we as consumers need to be aware and not purchase anything from them. ANYTHING. Why even get a cracked app of their game?

The thread you indicated is a good starting point to blacklist those developers and no-one should get their apps, legit or cracked.

5. definitely

i think a pinned thread of a list of shadys devs would be really nice

6. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Hope these devs burn in hell.

7. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    If this is the case, couldn't they just remotely disable apps or make them not work?

8. LOFTUS KING

LOFTUS KING Member

Dec 2, 2008
    To be frank, loads of purchased products still have advertising.
    - SKY TV - Adverts? Check
    - LAST TWO JAMES BOND FILMS - Constant references to FORD/WATCHES/SONY PRODUCTS? Check
    - MOST EA GAMES - Blatant advertising hoardings in the background? Check
    - PAY 40quid TO WATCH MAN UTD/CHELSEA - Sponsorship and advertising everywhere? Check.

So - does this mean you go out and nick the DVDs/Clone the Sky box/Download the video games? Nope - if you don't like the blatant advertising on that product - just don't buy it! And as suggested - just black-list the constant offenders.

9. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Don't you think it's a bit difficult to follow your advice when you pay for an ad-free product, but the developer later "upgrades" the app to an ad-supported version?

--Eric

11. Underoath777

Underoath777 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
    So let me ask you this people. What if you want an app that the developer did not put up on your store? Like I want iScores, been trying to get it put on the canadian store but the developer does not want to. I have left tons of messages about that at his forum and no word of it yet so i had to get it cracked. So is that justified, yes!

12. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Sell in one country and not others is as wrong as crack an application IMO (*) because this is completely against of internet is all about, it's against freedom. :mad:

(*) not that one error justifies another

13. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    I worry when someone goes from pointing out a clear wrong, then asks if another wrong is the solution.

I won't linger on the merits or morals of the argument, but rather suggest that if you have problems with anything you've bought via the App Store, then the best thing to do - for everyone concerned - is to complain directly to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

In this case, you could make it clear how you feel about the publisher/developer's actions, and suggest something pro-active, such as forcing developers to clearly label software that contains advertising. Which would save everyone a lot of time, and possible give you some decent karma.

-modus

14. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Maybe he's working on it, gets far too many emails to respond to every one and prefers to keep his head down to do the job?

Maybe he's on holiday. Or ill.

Or maybe - God forbid - there's some other reason which is far greater than your personal need for attention.

As my wife is fond of saying, making assumptions is just making an ass out of u, and umption.

You live and learn. And here's today's lesson: Just because your mother won't bake you a cake, doesn't mean it's ok to steal one.

-modus

15. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Shouldn't it be an ass out of u, and mption (since the u was already used?) ;)