Universal Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Kaje85

Kaje85 Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I won't be paying for a demo, absolutely awful idea.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm curious, would you guys complaining about the $1 "Demo" have preferred to pay $5 for the entire first case? The way I see it, this way, a lot more feet are in the door. Like what you've played? Great, buy the whole thing! Don't like it? It was just a buck. Either way, seriously...Capcom loses. Whether they charge nothing for the first bit or keep it a buck, they're going to get the "#### you, this shit should be free!" / "#### you, why do I have to pay more?" reviews on the App Store.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Been waiting on this one and have all previous ones
    I had zero issue with paying the $1 in the past I would just pay as I went but since it's holidays I will see an iTunes card soon and get the full purchase at that time.
    Love the series and just glad we get to play it
    However I do agree with the crazy file size not sure what's up with that but a lot of games lately have been huge file sizes and my space is gone as it is just wish you could pay to get more gigs and I just don't see why Apple hasn't tackled that yet as I'm sure it has cost them money from people who don't buy because of lack of space so this problem falls on Apple not the devs

4. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Does the game require internet connection to play?

5. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I honestly thought this was a weird question to ask, given the cost of the app, the size of the download and the fact its a single-player game, but opening the app on Airplane mode seems to make it forget my purchases (unlocked the whole game, but only the first chapter is showing as available). Reopening the app with an internet connection fixes it.

Weird.

6. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Thanks for checking, Capcom usually does weird things. Now I will skip this one as my holiday-game on the beach. Sadly...

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Gently bringing this up again. Any news on portrait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Danigarcia75

Danigarcia75 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I don't see this being a demo, I see it like 1$ for the first half chapter and 15 for the rest. But first chapter for free sounds better to try and get the rest if you like it

9. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    But now more potential to sell more as people want to see what happens on ep. 1, Id assume

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Please stop calling this a paid demo. It is not. It's an episodic game. Is The Walking Dead also a paid demo? Any paid games that have additional DLC are also considered paid demos?

This is a 4 episode game. Episodes 2-4 are $5 each. Episode 1 is split into two parts, you get part one for 99¢ (the original purchase) and part two for $1.99. If you bought all episodes separately it would be $18, or you can buy a bundle for $15 and save a couple of bucks.

Consider this: Would you have a problem if they sold the game with the entire first episode but the initial price was $2.99? What is the problem with giving customers the OPTION of checking out the game for a dollar and then spending more only if they actually want to, rather than spending more up front to only find they don't like the game partway through the first episode and are now out 3 bucks instead of 1? How is that better in any way?

11. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015

Since the first trilogy has already one free case i wouldve just went full premium on this one tbh, 16.99 or 17.99 for the game, period, if you want to try the series, the trilogy is there.

Just my 2 cents, im buying it for the second time anyway (have it on DS) i love AA too much to even consider not buying.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't disagree. Also, it's strange since Dual Destinies launched for free with the full first episode (I think?) and as of today it's now a 99¢ download. Anyway, not saying it's not a strange strategy, just saying people trying to frame this as some sort of scam are just plain wrong.

13. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #33 Intendro, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    It is rather odd that they don't say "that initial purchase isn't even the whole first episode" until halfway down the description (that's when they say "other episodes cost more.")

Almost like they want people to not bother clicking to see more of the description and end up buying only half an episode... That sounds scam-like to me. "Now go buy the other half of your incomplete episode!"
    #

---

And that is unacceptable.
    I must wait for a bugfix. #

And hopefully they manage a size reduction. 2.42 GB is ridiculous considering the previous games. That can't be normal.

14. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Since you only get half of the first episode and have to pay to unlock the rest of the episode, it feels like a demo.

I understand your point, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. But it doesn't change the fact that it FEELS like a demo with it setup this way. I think it would have made more sense (and less friction) if they had just given us the whole first chapter for whatever price, rather than a paid taste.

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    What exactly do you want them to do? It's clearly stated in the description. If someone just blindly buys something without even reading what it is, that's their own fault. There's nothing "scam-like" about this.

You're assuming that there's widespread friction over this, when in fact it's just a handful of people on these forums. The fact that they released Dual Destinies for free and have since changed it to a dollar, along with releasing this as a dollar right out of the gate, tells me that things didn't go so well with that strategy with DD. The wider audience of mobile gamers hate paying absolutely anything, and so often free with premium unlock games get blasted in reviews because people expected that the entire game should be free and get all bent out of shape when the free part ends and they're asked to pay for additional content.

My guess is that it's worth having less downloads and having there be at least a tiny barrier of entry so as to increase the quality of customers who are more likely to comprehend the concept of additional paid content. Also, free+premium unlock conversion rates are less than 2% so even getting people invested to the tune of a dollar might do a lot towards getting them to continue on with the game and buy more of the content.

The only thing I know for sure, though, is that this isn't a scam. People bitch incessantly about free to play, and here's a full-fledged premium game which players can buy in pieces if they're more comfortable that way or as a whole bundle all at once. It's as consumer friendly as it can be, and even more so than on other platforms where the game is just $30 or $40 right out of the gate whether you end up liking it or not. If we start to also bitch about games like these, then companies will simply stop making them.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Never change, Internet. Never change.

I mean, suppose the first case was $2.99 or $4.99. Realistically, is anyone going to go "OKAY, FINISHED THE FIRST CASE...I CAN DELETE THIS NOW!"? Either way you're going to shell out more if you want to experience the rest of the game and not delete the app. The barrier to entry is SO low and people are complaining. It's one measly dollar. ONE DOLLAR!

Okay, so suppose Capcom later changes it so that the first half of case 1 is free. Big deal! Has anyone complained about the initial $4.99 every Telltale game costs that is later permanently made free? At least a free promotion means people will still have to pay to see the finale of the first turnabout, unlike the Telltale games where someone's always getting a whole free episode whereas someone paid $5 for the very same thing.

17. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #37 Intendro, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Start the description with the pricing information (instead of randomly putting it somewhere around the middle) to be perfectly clear about it?
    Was I not clear?

It seems very odd that they aren't even giving a full episode with the initial purchase and are not putting that information in the most obvious place.

Shouldn't the price be as blatantly visible as possible? Can we at least manage to agree on that?

And what about this? The full price ($15 +1) was hidden behind a payment, with nowhere else saying what it was!
    (Until now, since the full unlock has shown up in the "Top IAP" section... but that's not from Capcom giving it.)

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If anyone's expecting to pay $1 for a 20+ hour DS game, then that's their problem. As soon as I saw the price, I literally said "Huh?" and checked out the description.

Casuals who just come across Apollo Justice on the App Store, you say? Despite the success of the entire series on DS, these games still appeal to a niche audience.

19. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #39 Intendro, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    #Objection!#
    I assumed the initial purchase was a whole episode when I saw the price.
    That's a reasonable assumption.

#Hold it!#
    Why am I having to repeat myself there?

The price information should be put in the most obvious available place: it makes sense to do so. Why make people skim through the description to find it?

Why is this being argued about?
    Isn't that a reasonable point?

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    But I don't agree. You only have a couple of lines of text above the fold, I can't imagine them trying to explain the pay model in that, or that it would be the type of thing that would catch anyone's attention. The pricing information is perfectly fine, below the list of features and right above the compatible hardware information. Just like pretty much every other game on the App Store.

You're being perfectly clear, but your complaints and accusation of it being misleading and a scam is pretty unreasonable.