Universal Apocalypse Meow: Save the Last Humans (by SplitCell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Yeah, I made it. You have to level up your gun & rockets and stay on top of the ship to protect it.
    Especially for those fast coming drones.
    I distracted the turrets not to shoot at the ship.
    And half way of the level the pilot thanked me & flew away. So you don't have to protect it till the end of the level.

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

If Apocalypse Meow doesn't get at least 2 nominations for the TA Forums' Game of the Week it won't make it to the voting stage. So far I'm the only one to nominate it. You can nominate up to 5 new releases, so have at it. I wanna see more people getting involved each week! =) Just click on the link below:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=267752

3. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Tried this out due to comments and because the Devs showed up. Glad I did. I was one of the biggest lovers and active forum members for Sky Force 2014 and this has the same vibe. Highly polished and I like the added randomness of the level generator.

I don't seem to have too many problems with the controls. Maybe it's just me but they feel fine. Definitely worth checking out for the grand old price of free.

By the way Dev's, good pay model. I like it, similar to what Skyforce did. They got a lot of initial grief about it because it wasn't well understood but it is a good model IMO. Great job with this game.

4. shiftdelete

shiftdelete Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I was surprised to see how good the production value and details were. Nice job. I still prefer the older Cave shooters and bullet-hell gameplay... but this was still a nice surprise.

5. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Great game. Bought the doubler and now the game feels completely premium and balanced, besides the occasional ad, which doesn't even bug me. This game is a time siphon! Ahh!

6. neurowave

neurowave Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    Thanks! Great that you caught that the levels are somewhat procedural… we thought that would add to the replay value.

Thanks! See how the game feels when you get to the harder difficulty levels… we really wanted to capture more of that bullet-hell like gameplay, but make it something even casual gamers could enjoy. We're still totally open to feedback, so please share if you have more thoughts on this.

Awesome, we tested this quite a bit in beta, so glad to hear it's feeling balanced! Thank you for supporting us by buying the doubler!

7. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Dev just an FYI but looks like your app name doesn't fit under the app. Only part of Apocalypse. You might want to get that fixed unless you like "..." on your app icon :)

8. neurowave

May 31, 2015
    Yeah we went back and forth on that… At one point we had "Apocalypse" in the icon and "Meow" as text under the icon. The problem with that is that the game will then show up as "Meow" in other parts of iOS, which didn't feel right to us. For example, in Spotlight you would see our app title as Meow, not Apocalypse Meow. :/

9. Anotherkellydown

#49 Anotherkellydown, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #50 LordShad0wz, Aug 8, 2015
    Ok,

If my friend AnotherKellyDown likes a game this much, I need to give it another look. So for the last half hour I've been playing.

Where do I purchase the mineral doubler? I would also purchase the remove ads. But I cannot find the mineral doubler anywhere at the moment? I'm waiting for my missiles to be built so I can finish up the last 2 missions on sector one and I wanted to make the purchase. It actually is fun.

Also for anyone else having the sensation the controls are sluggish, go into options and turn on relative control. It's off by default. It's much much better now. I'm very happy with it.

What are your future plans with the game devs? I'm starting to really get into it now.

EDIT- HA I restarted the app and see a little store icon on the upper left hand corner of the screen. Let the purchasing commence! Lol.

Billy

11. cirrus82

cirrus82 Active Member

May 30, 2015
    Glad you're enjoying it! I'm neurowave's twin brother, I do all the programming at SplitCell. We've already begun working on the remaining 4 sectors. Yes, that's an intentional 9 total :) We've tried to have each sector introduce a new gameplay mechanic, we're trying to maintain that in the next 4. We've slowly introduced the enemy cats in each level, we hope that by the end of Sector 5 you have a good sense of who they are and how they rank. The story develops in the next 4...

We've had a few different features/bug fixes reported which have already been implemented (localization tweaks, being able to play your own music, and some duration tweaks for sectors that end too soon). These will come in with the next update.

I've always been a huge fan of relative control. Apocalypse Meow originally only had relative control, but the rest of the guys convinced me that absolute gave you far more fine control, particularly when using slow-mo for hairy situations. I'm much better now with absolute control, fwiw...particularly so on a smaller screen. We got some good feedback on that during beta. We spent quite a bit of time making sure relative behaved as expected.

12. neurowave

May 31, 2015
    Awesome, great that you're using Kamcord!

Thanks for the kind words, Billy! The store doesn't appear until the first 3 bootups. Both mineral doubler and ad remover are in there.

Our plans are to finalize the last 4 sectors (9 total, since cats have 9 lives). :) We're also looking into other forms of content to explore, aside from the primary sectors. Lots of good suggestions coming in over email.

13. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I purchased the no ads, ship speed up, and of course the mineral doubler Iaps. And I'm progressing steadily As I upgrade my ship. The boss at the end of sector two is cool and I liked the side firing cannons at the beginning of the level as well. Thank you for responding. And I hate cats, love dogs. So I'm getting a lot of joy out of the game lol

Billy

14. neurowave

May 31, 2015
    Didn't see Luigi had already replied... Much better than mine! ;)

15. Anotherkellydown

#55 Anotherkellydown, Aug 8, 2015
    Sounds great. Thanks for the update update ;)

If I can add one thing: the battery drain seems quite high causing my iPhone to get warm. Not sure if it's possible, but it would be nice if there was a way you guys could work on a performance optimization to fix this.

I too prefer the absolute control over relative touch on this.

Really glad you gave it another shot!

The only thing I don't like about the game is that the dogs are the good guys and the cats are bad. The cats should be taking center stage here :D

@Sash-O @ImJPaul @The Son of Anarchy - Glad you guys decided to nominate the game =)

16. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    First of all I never play plane shooting games ever.
    This game looked so amazing I thought I would try.
    This has everything I've ever wanted in one of these type games.
    It has upgrades , leveling, collecting , multiple game objectives, along with overall objective , amazing amazing graphics . The theme is so funny but perfectly executed.
    This just may be my fav games this month or year.
    Really top 5 .
    I can't believe how good this game is.
    I usually hate having to wait to play but since the games take a few minutes to play anyways your not really waiting. 5stars for that.
    I've downloaded so many games that are galactic shooters or whatnot thy have been highly praised and disliked them a lot.
    This is the OnLY one I've ever liked.
    I'm paying for iap $20 from me today thanks for the great game

17. cirrus82

cirrus82 Active Member

May 30, 2015
    We're pushing the devices pretty hard to get the quality we want, there are definitely more optimizations we can explore. A big one is Metal, we think we can get back a bit of CPU performance there (which is what's causing your phone to run particularly hot). We've already started on that one too (actually have a version running on it) but that will take a little longer to get to the quality we want.

We've got plans for another title where you can play as the cats, but it'll be a little while before you can unleash those claws on hapless pups. Don't expect them to go out without a fight ;)

18. cirrus82

cirrus82 Active Member

May 30, 2015
    Incredibly flattered! Thank you for the support! Really glad you like the theme, it was a blast getting that in there (probably the funnest part of making this title).

19. Anotherkellydown

That's understandable, given the high quality graphics and the amount of on-screen action. Thanks for the reply!

You just made my day. Cats rule!!!

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Oh hell no. Cats are evil. When I was about ten years old our cat clawed me in the face and its claw was stuck into my forehead as I ran through the house screaming for my father to help.

I'm very happy to shoot down every cat in this game. Give me nukes. I will nuke them. Lol

Billy