Anzen: Echoes of War

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by creimschussel, Oct 17, 2019.

1. creimschussel

creimschussel New Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    #1 creimschussel, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    [​IMG]
    Anzen has continued to evolve and we have been working hard to create a fun and competitive experience within the hack-n-slash ARPG genre. We will have much more to share in the future but here are some things you can expect!

Features

• Online Multiplayer
    • Competitive End Game (Ranking, matchmaking and leaderboards)
      • Endless Dungeon (PvE)
      • Arena (PvP)
    • Classless System
      • The weapons you equip define your class. You have the ability to mix and match skills from weapons in order to find your favorite playstyle
    • Limit Breakers
    • Powerful Mythic Items
      • Each Mythic Item has unique skill trees that offer powerful modifications to your skills

Jump in our Discord and talk to us directly about the game
    Discord: https://discord.gg/PFZdKbx

2. creimschussel

creimschussel New Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    Thank you for taking the time to check out Anzen!

We want to push ourselves to keep improving the quality of the game and learn more about how we can improve. Any and all feedback is welcome. Please be as critical and specific as possible, no matter how small. :)

Got a couple of questions here to get things started!

Question 1

• What is your first impression of the level of quality of the game that has been done so far in the prototype footage shown?
    Question 2
    • How appealing is the art style? Is it consistent with the concept art?
    Question 3
    • How does the gameplay look? Smooth, clunky? Why do you think it looks that way?

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Welcome to TA, creimschussel! The project looks ambitious and right up the alley of many of our members. To answer your questions:

1) Not bad, but it’s tough to tell without seeing combat — that’s where a lot ambitious games by less experienced teams fall apart. Overall, the character does feel like it’s moving in a real environment, but there’s still a bit of “floatiness” about her, probably because of the lighting. You want dungeons to feel oppressive and dangerous, but it’s tough to pull off when the lighting is so flat. As to combat, it needs to have impact: you need to “feel” the hits, and there has to be enough complexity (parries and/or dodges, heavy and light attacks, special abilities) to keep things interesting for the long haul. And controls to match, of course.

2) the design on the preview seems a lot more generic than the concept art. The fantasy and tech mix on the art seems fresher. That said, I’ve seen a lot worse.

3) I kind of answers this on question one. In general, I find that movement animation can make a huge difference when it comes to clunkiness. What you’ve shown so far is not bad, but it seems like it has ways to go.

Very intrigued — thanks for the preview!

creimschussel likes this.
  4. creimschussel

creimschussel New Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    #4 creimschussel, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Hey Squarezero!

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really appreciate the details and the examples you gave. This really helps us hone in more on where we need to focus. And also help validate our own ideas moving forward.

1) The area in this one is of sacred ruins so they are not a dungeon, so to speak, so we went for more of a respectful calm atmosphere that gets invaded by these mercenaries. I 100% know what you mean by making the player feel more of what is going on around them thought (which we haven't done the best job in this level we showed). We are working on more props to put into our environments and more textures that will help tell more of the story inside each level because they are lacking right now. Lighting can definitely be improved on. Otherwise, like you said, you are not fully feeling the effect of the environment.
    • Haha yeah, we are working on the stat system still. Right now there is no parries, dodges, critical strikes, etc. But they are coming! :p
    2) I am glad you like the mix! Its something we have been working on to make the art direction feel cohesive and unique.
    • Our plan right now is to add more props (and working on the lighting like you mentioned) to bring the levels more to life. Like adding other statues or more props on the ground that make sense for the area, maybe there are shrines around, things like that we need to concept out more so we have a better idea on how we want to tell the story of each level and make them feel more organic and alive.
    3) Yeah, making the animations not so stiff. I think the major problem with alot of the animations is that you dont see much of their bodies move so it looks odd. Your mind goes, wait, humans dont really move like that! :p

You are most welcome! Thank you for having a platform that allows us to communicate with the community. We realized that it was time to start getting feedback from more people to make sure we are taking things in the right direction. I think alot of indie devs wait to long to get feedback and having these open platforms to discuss our games it great!

P.S. I added another video that shows more gameplay happening. I had removed because I thought 3 videos were too much but they are all under a minute so I guess its not too much. :p

Oh, we also are opening up the prototype soon so anyone can download and test it once we get some more updates in it.

5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    wow, seems wonderful!

creimschussel likes this.
  6. creimschussel

creimschussel New Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Male
    Thank you! We are really working hard to hone things in an make everything cohesive as possible. We are only a few gamers trying to make a game in our spare time but we really want to go all out. :)

Gwarmaxx likes this.