Anyone used FAAD (Free App A Day) to promote their game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Luke Kellett, Dec 29, 2011.

1. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Free Pick Ups

Once you set you app for free you get picked up but stacks of free sites anyway that will do the promotion for you. One of our games picked up over 2 million downloads for free which has since translated into 100k paid, without paying for FAAD. You are better off launching your game as paid and then switching it to free after a couple of weeks if you want to get the same exposure without paying the 7k.

2. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Glad it worked for you, but this is not at all typical. Most apps are lucky to get a few thousand free downloads before trickling down to less than a hundred a day.

3. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just a heads up guys, my FAAD campaign started today. It's still early days but I'll post back soon once 24 hours has passed and give you some solid info :)

4. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    How long is your promotion going to last?
    24h or more?

JC

5. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    The campaign lasts for 30 days. Though the featured icons last for 48hrs (24hrs for each section).

From my own research the first 4-5 days are the most effective though. Will have evidence sooooooon :)

6. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Sorry, I mean how long is it going to be free?

7. mommagamehouse

mommagamehouse Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    CEO
    india
    Best of luck !!

8. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ovogame I will keep Superflick free for at least the length of the campaign.
    mommagamehouseThanks!

So the campaign has been running for a little bit over 24 hours now. In that time I've had 5k new installs (11k since Monday) and 11k clicks on the FAAD campaign link. The downloads are less than I expected, but the IAP profits are more. So all in all it's been a surprising 24 hours!

I'm looking forward to the weekend rush now :)

9. Nice! Hope you will "debrief" us on your FAAD promotion at the end of the week.

Cheers!

10. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    #30 Emeric, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks Luke, that's great information! Please keep us up to date.
    I was wondering: how do you know how many clicks come from the faad website?

Wish you hundred thousands of downloads.

Also, I'm trying to list all faad site per territory. Anyone can help?:
    US: www.freeappaday.com
    France: www.appgratuites.com
    Spain: www.appgratis.com

11. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Tip of the day. You can add a + to the end of any bit.ly link you find and get stats.

FAAD uses bit.ly for as long as I can remember. So you can actually go back and analyze the effectiveness of their campaigns for every single app.

SuperFlick's link from FAAD. https://bitly.com/x98pmV+

12. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    fantastic tips !!
    thanks for sharing

13. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep great tip, this is one of the ways I researched FAAD before contacting them. Combine that with AppAnnie, AppFigures and some good ol hard work and you can get a good idea of how well things run.

FlyingRoosters will do!
    Emeric thanks dude! Me too :)

Oh, another good research tool is Alexa, gives a good idea of how a site ranks world wide :)

14. Hi Emeric,

Thanks for the list for those international faad sites. Have you stumbled upon any sites for Canada and Australia?

Thanks!

15. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Nope, I didn't start a full research but I was expecting some people here had clues for faad-like websites in their countries.

I know the guys who do appgratuites in france. They launched the spanish version and are in beta currently for the UK version. But I'm surprised faad (US) didn't try to expend to other countries. I'd be curious to know the chinese/Korean ones, if the exist (if they don't, that's a fu*king golden opportunity for whoever's quick enough).

Seriously, these guys make more than 1M€ a year just with a simple website and simple app. I'm not a business man and I'd rather make games, but I find it crazy that every territory is not already covered by a "faad" kind of app.

16. voodooetc

voodooetc Member

Oct 3, 2011

My best whishes Luke.

So right now.

I see something around 15000 clicks.
    what about installs?

could you tell us many installs do you have with that 15000 clicks?

and your personal opinion is it worthy to spend 6000 - 6500 USD on the campaign?
    How your income? is going good right now?

17. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ok so heres the details after the first week:

FAAD Clicks: 14,173
    New Installs: 25k

The first two days of the campaign had Superflick featured in the top menu, and this reflects in the number of clicks in the first two days ~6k each. Since then clicks have trailed off very rapidly as Superflick is featured on another page which I doubt people really see.

Superflick made it into the top 20 for Sports games and top 100 for Arcade games on both iPhone and iPad in this time. Which is why the downloads are higher than the actual number of clicks.

In terms of revenue, this has been quite good as usage is nice and high at the moment. About 20% of users play twice a day and session length is about 2.6 minutes. Superflick has also had a number of positive reviews and ratings.

I expect downloads to drop over the coming weeks and then settle (hopefully much higher than before).

In terms of the 6.5k-7k spend on FAAD. Firstly I would try to get them down on price, as that is quite high. Secondly to make it effective you need to have your IAP's in order as well as other marketing strategies to ensure MAXIMUM exposure over the campaign. And not making your app free 6 days before the campaign starts (like I did when I scheduled things before locking in dates argh!!). So if you spend the money, make sure you do other things to make it worth it! Milk it for every penny...

18. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Luke, I am very surprised by these numbers, they are terrible!!! You should ask them to get some of the money back, they obviously failed to do their part of the deal. Seriously, it is ridiculous they charge so much for such a crappy exposure.

JC

19. Hi Emeric,

Cool thanks, and yeah we'd love for someone to do the equivalent of FAAD for specific countries. We're getting good revenues from other non-US countries (more than expected). Everything is becoming more global nowadays.

20. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think a couple of factors contributed to this, one the Superflick icon is a bit bland and two FAAD seem to be slipping. Probably due to increased competition, which sucks for the dev because it's no longer a great one stop shop.

If others know of better options I'd love to hear about them!