Anyone tried Skyfire yet? (Flash on iPhone)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Scaramoosh, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Heard that it brings flash player to the iPhone and just wondering if it's true and actually works?

2. #2 Mindfield, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Haven't tried it yet, but technically it doesn't give you Flash. It transcodes Flash code into HTML5; that's why it got approved. I'm wondering just how efficient it is at its job and whether it matches native Flash code (though it'd be hard to gauge that without native Flash.) It also only supports video, no games or apps.

No iPad version or universal binary either, which is where I'd really want to use it to any great degree.

3. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    People on my twitter feed seem to be all about it. Which is ironic. They all hate flash, yet as a friend of mine put "They treat Skyfire like it's the second coming". lol

4. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I hope this means I'm able to play Vimeo now.

5. Scaramoosh

Feb 25, 2010
    It's useless, every website still just asks to install flash.

6. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

You have to press some special icon apparently to make it convert it. I doubt they would release a hyped browser that is useless...

7. Scaramoosh

Feb 25, 2010
    I just want it to play in the browser :\ Hate how videos take over so you can't do two things at once.

8. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I haven't messed with it at all personally, but a coworker got it and was watching Zero Punctuation on his iPhone just fine... I'll have to see if he can watch Hulu or random other videos to see if they work.

9. They state in the description that Hulu is not supported because Hulu do not allow their streams to be converted through a proxy. (Probably legal issues regarding regionality.)

What I'd really like to know is if sites that are not about Flash games or videos specifically are supported. tv.com for example uses Flash to display its content, so I want to know if places like that work. I doubt they will though because they state specifically that this is really only for video.

10. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    However, it seems to be unavailable in US stores as of now. We'll see how it goes.

11. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Yeah, I got it recently and while I like the browser, I havent gotten any video to work. It might be because:

A: I am only on 3.X and it requires 4.0 to work.

B: The whole "sold out" thing is affecting being able to play videos.

12. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    um it doesnt work all too well. I went to a site that requires you to have flash, and the page says that I need to update my browser to the latest flash version inorder to view the content. Waste of $3.00 in my opinion.

13. Well, if anyone wants to see a hands on, Engadget just posted one. Seems to work for them (now that the servers are recovering) but it's pretty much just a stopgap to visit (some) Flash video sites you couldn't otherwise watch on iOS.

14. RoadRunner123

RoadRunner123 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Just got it. It worked with megavideo.

15. Scaramoosh

Feb 25, 2010
    It's working with some sites now the server load isn't so big, still doesn't work with youtube though which is annoying. The iPhone app sucks and there are lots of flash videos that wont play on iPhone, so woulda been nice.

16. czarro77

czarro77 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mental Health
    Houston, Tx
    Just purchased it yesterday. I've been using it on Fearnet and Megavideo and it's been playing some videos but not all of them. I'm on an iPhone 3G 3.1.2.

17. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Does it work on southparkstudios.com?

18. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i can get them to play but not how i think its suppose to work in a normal browser.. if i click on a episode it wont play it loads a 30 second clip for next week episode( ok on a second try it did load the movie, shrugs.. ) and shows a get flash icon where the movie would normally load. under what i think should be the movie playing there is a film strip now if you click on any of the pictures in the strip. it plays the episode. im watching the super hero episode now. so the fact it plays anything on there webpage i guess it works. im still playing with it.

hope this helps.

chris.

chris.

19. It works for me. I just used it to watch a full episode of the Colbert Report. The video quality wasn't great, but it got the job done.