iPad Anyone tried Skybound?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by tosui, Dec 23, 2008.

1. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Has anyone tried Skybound ($2.99)? It looks like a very polished and unique game. There's a video on their site.

You basically draw clouds that a ball (or something) bounces off as it rises higher and higher. The clouds disappear pretty fast, and you can angle them to direct the ball to objects like powerups, coins, etc., some of which they bounce off of and interact with. The game has a very nice painterly look.

Anyone pick it up?

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah I ended up getting it and I'm loving it.

The clouds you draw can only be of a certain length so I've died a few times just getting used the the length.

I'm currently playing in Boss Mode and enjoying it immensely. Anyone remember the Cloud/Eyeball boss from Kirby?? Yeah, You fight different variations of that. The credits also appear in the side bars.

2.99 seems like a lot but honestly I've payed a lot more for a lot less quality. Skybound will definitely stay on my iphone as a pick up and play game.

One Note: You can not pause the game and stay in the game. Exiting to the home screen pauses your game and you can return to that point.

Hope that helps!

3. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Awesome, V!

I think I'm gonna pick this up soon. I'm always looking for a good pickup game that has some real distinctiveness to it.

Happy Holidays!

4. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    This game is a complete rip of a minigame in WarioWare Touched on the Nintendo DS called 'Galaxy Bounce'... in that game, you draw lines to bounce a ball from earth, up and out into space, all the while trying to aviod stars and other obsticles that get in your way on the way up.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You're right cause before WarioWare Touched came out in late '04 that kind of game never existed before...

Except for all those Draw Bounce games from the early 80's

6. idrisguitar

idrisguitar Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    too expensive for a game like this.

and music from the vid is a bit offputting too. it wasn't bad but got a bit annoying.

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    There is no ingame music just sfx. The music you heard was just something they played for the video.

8. CrispsInnOut

CrispsInnOut Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I can pause it by using the "sleep" button on my iPod Touch. Is it different on an iPhone?

It also pauses if I double tap the home-button to get the iPod-music thing up.

I had some problems with it crashing when synching online scores, but now it has worked without crashing the whole day. Maybe they fixed something, I dunno.

I get really annoyed when I die, but I keep coming back to it, cause I know a higher score is within reach. quite addictive, I reccomend it!

9. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks for the quick review, hehe :)

10. CrispsInnOut

CrispsInnOut Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Hehe, I was supposed to reply to someone further up about not being able to pause the game, but I pressed something wrong q/reply isn't quote-reply I found out! :)

11. corpsicle

corpsicle Member

Dec 11, 2008
    highscores

So, i finally got beaten off the nr 1 spot on normal mode, but i still reign supreme on the boss mode.
    Come on guys, fight harder. =)

12. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Oh right, sorry... I didn't see that part in my original post where I claimed Nintendo to be the pioneers of the format. I guess that means that if I was to refer to a game as being a copy of Sonic The Hedgehog, that would be me claiming that Sega invented the side-scrolling platformer? :rolleyes:

Maybe referring to the game as a 'complete rip' was a little harsh, but I'm just expressing my individual opinion, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the developer, I'm sure he slogged his guts making this. I was just trying to say that it shares MANY similarities to Nintendo's own version.

13. CrispsInnOut

CrispsInnOut Member

Dec 24, 2008
    The main game is very similar to Orbit ball, an unlockable mini-game in wario ware touched. The boss mode is however a twist on this gameplay mechanic.

Personally, I don't mind games being similar to other games. What matters is execution and playability. Skybound also brings in other elements to the game that differeanciates it from Orbit ball, so it's not a clone.

14. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Orbit Ball, thats it... man, its been bugging the hell out of me trying to remember what that game was called. Now THAT was a fun game... hitting one of the stars or planets as you get into outer space sends your ball flying all over the screen, it's absolute mayhem trying to regain control.

15. CrispsInnOut

CrispsInnOut Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #15 CrispsInnOut, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
    Just saw they have priced this down for a holliday sale, it's now 0.99 cents
    Edit: eeh.. 0.99 dollars of course.

99 cents.

:)

16. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    "Are you the ball, or are you the creator who prevent the ball from falling" - Some portion of reviews I picked from AppVee.

17. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I'm thinking of getting this game. Is it worth a buck?

I think it looks pretty fun and I KNOW I've played a game exactly like this, but I can't remember where...:confused: