Anyone going to Spiel 12 in Essen?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Black Ops, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Black Ops

Black Ops Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Thinking about going to Spiel 12 in Germany. Has anyone in the forum attend a Spiel convention before?

2. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

I have been at Spiel many years in a row. I have been on the other side of the table as an exhibitor. The show is crazy. If you have a hot game people wait in line to play your board game. It really is an eye opener that so many people still sit down at a table and have a real battle of the minds. Black Ops I always travelled in from Canada to attend. Pretty straight forward getting there from Frankfurt. I am fluent in German so that might be an advantage. Pretty easy to attend. The younger generation definitely all speak English.

Essen is an absolute must at least once in a lifetime.

3. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey Synd. Sounds like the place to be. Makes me think the last thing I want to do is be stuck manning a booth watching others have a great time :cool:

I take it you are going this year? I am thinking of meeting our artists from Serbia there. I met them in Venice in the spring and Spiel seemed like a great place/time to get together in the fall.

Dunno what I think about eating fine German cuisine (read:sausages) for 4 straight days, but I guess with every great joy must come a little pain.

4. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Surprisingly the food is very invigorating in most of Europe. Processed food takes a back seat compared to North America. If you can schedule your meeting to be during Spiel it definitely is an amazing experience. Great eye opener to a very strange world.

5. Black Ops

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Oh I love European food, just taking a cheap shot at our German Devs :cool:
    We decided to get a booth and hang out for the 4 days. Thanks for your opinion and insight.