Anyone else feel there is too many good deals to finish your current games?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by appreview123, May 22, 2009.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I'm not TOO bad, but I do have this problem :eek:

I do play all games at least once--but I seldom finish them and seldom even dig into them really deeply. A handful I do, though--and the rest were worth the price even if I eventually get only a few hours out of them before new stuff distracts me! (And a very few I just won't take to at all--which is an acceptable risk at these prices. I read reviews first so most of my purchases are well-chosen.)

I've been trying to cut back--not due to cost, but to make myself dig deeper into UniWar, Heavy Mech, Iron Sight and others. But my folder of "Games to Get" bookmarks is still growing fast!

2. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Speaking of which, will the iphone gaming platform even be around 20 years from now? I have some games that I probably won't touch months if not several months or even a year from now. At this rate it may be years before I get into some of these games. I keep envisioning my self in 30 years, I'll be 60 then, playing games on my iPhone that I bought in 2009. I mean if people are still playing games on their sega genesis why can't I play games on my iPhone years from now. This brings me to this final question, will I be able to play games on my iPhone if I no longer use it as a phone with no phone service?

3. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    It won't be around as we know it--the hardware and OS will have evolved past the point of compatibility, and most current hardware will sadly have perished (not even considering batteries, since you can always plug in). If yours happens to survive, then yes, it will play even without phone service... but if it crashes, re-installing may require an old iTunes on an old Mac/PC!

However, by then emulators will be out, along with installation/extraction tools, and running old iPhone games on whatever the latest thing is will be possible :)

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I hate it cause when I get a new game system or gadget, I'm always buying all the older systems games or running emulators on them. I'll get like every game I've ever loved from the 8-16 bit eras, get them to run on the system either officially or unofficially, and tell myself "I'm set for life! When I'm an old man I'll have every game I've ever loved on my __________", but then the "new" thing comes out and it's a game of "get all the old stuff on the new thing" all over again. Vicious cycle, I tell ya.

5. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I guess the emulators by that time will have worked around the touch screen issue. Maybe I can copy my games to an iPod touch when the time comes and use that as a gaming device. I prefer the mobility and accessibilty of idevice gaming over a console. I'm too busy these days to sit in front of a tv and play a 40 hour game.