iPad Anyone else been spending less money lately?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I really only spend a fraction now of what I did in the first few months of the app store. It seems there are fewer and fewer games I am interested in, and the ones that do come out tend to be in the $1-3 range.

This is a good thing to a degree since money is tight and all, but at the same time, I've been using my phone as a reader (god bless Stanza and that drinkmalk site) about 50% of the time, internet browser/actual phone 25% of the time, and game console 25% whereas I was using this as a game console like 75% of the time between July-December (obvious approximation).

And yet I probably use this now more than ever due to my using it as an ereader every NIGHT now I'm reading for at least an hour, in addition to reading both to and from work on the train (another hour). I really only use the iphone for games when I'm on the can or watching tv.

So I'm not complaining at all (I must have $2 thousand in books alone on it, all for free), just wondering if anyone else has changed like me.

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

oh yeah

my spending is way down

mostly because i just lost trust in the app store after getting burned by false promises by developers, buggy applications, and over hyped games that i bought @ 10 bucks, and only played once

then there was the period where devs would release an app, and drop its price the next day, soo..you just wait. and you could get a $5 for .99Cents

right now im content with what i have, if i do buy, it is a .99 or 1.99 (less risk) (greatly reviewed) one on sale

i just picked up blue attack, its not on sale, but for the amount of content/value for its price...

and the TD defense games like 7 cities and creeps keeps me pretty entertained

and there is no real reason to buy any game right when it gets released...i feel payback was overhyped..i've only played it three or four times....

but yeah my spending is way down, and im happy

3. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I'm definately buying fewer apps. There was a period where I was driving myself crazy looking for the latest game that I could kill my ipod battery with. It's pretty frustrating when I open Appsniper and see "172 new apps" and then browse through them and see that they are all pretty much crap. I still come to TA every day and check a few other sites out, and based on the forum and site recomendations pick up a game here and there (Labyrnth 3d and Word Jong the last two) but it's not the compulsion it once was.

I also have found that I spend a lower % of time playing games. And as a bonus my battery is lasting a lot longer (not even needing a charge some days!). I'd wager with the ebooks your not finding that though, I've read a few books and it drained the ipod pretty good. :)

4. SwingOnThis

SwingOnThis Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    My spending is pretty consistent, but it's fallen off as of late because i still have a bunch of games on my phone that i haven't even delved into yet, and i have to remind myself of that when i have the urge to buy anything new.

5. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Same here, but tahts b/c I already have 9 pages with good games

6. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I think that's true for me. But I'm about the break it after Zen Bound and Snap are released. Been saving $$ on that. Just bought a $5.99 Snatch from AppStore after about a week. Usually I can overspent $10 in a week LOL!

7. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I am also spending less money. I decided to throw a lot of information about many things into the notebook app. I am reading all of that whenever I have free time.

8. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I have only had my ipod 2Gen for 2 months now, and I am spending less as well. For example, I still haven't bought Zombieville USA, Heavy Mach, or Payback yet. Mostly because the negative or buggy things I hear make me want to wait for something like CJS (that is assuming a lot)! However, I do find a jewel worth the price tag every once in a while. I just recently bought Smiles (the full version), and I love it! Only puzzle game I have worth the full price!

I hope to spend more soon, but I already have a lot of great games. IMHO developers need to step it up a notch now...my expectations are high! ;)

9. Muzzle

Muzzle Member

Jan 17, 2009
    College Student
    Washington, D.C.
    Exactly my experience as well. Buying less, playing less. I've also deleted a lot of games that I used to consider "keepers" - down from 6 or 7 pages of games to 1 and a half. I think I'm finally able to show some restraint from purchasing those time-killer games that simply provide novelty or minimal entertainment. Incidentally I find myself buying/playing almost exclusively puzzlers now.

10. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Me. Only spent money on two games this month. Bobby carrot and ExZeus

11. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I spend less, because my 9 pages are full and it doesn't make sense to buy a B- game if I have to delete an A or B+ game to free the space for it.

Another problem is that there are less really great games in the last weeks.

12. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Although I haven't spent much on games, yet, I do spend MUCH less time perusing them. When I first got the touch at Christmas, I was spending an hour or two each night going through the AppStore and looking at the new games and reading all about the games and user reviews. I was deciding on what games to get.

Now I have a decent number of games I enjoy and realizing some 99 cent games just aren't worth it, I am beginning to be much more selective and focusing on what I read here at Touch Arcade. For example, I never thought twice about Westward until there was good feedback here. I bought it and really enjoy it.

My days of looking over the AppStore each night are over. Lately, a lot of what has been coming out seem to be Lite versions, and I also notice a lot of apps seem to be dropping in price. I have wondered if both of these are an indication people are slowing down on purchases.

13. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    People are slowing down on purchases for those same reasons; waiting for lite versions or price drops.

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #14 spiffyone, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    You had me agreeing 100% with you, Vende, right until you brought up Stanza and the drinkmalk site. Stanza alone is fine. Perfectly legal. Stanza + drinkmalk? Negative.

I just want to point out (and I'm not accusing you of this, but very well might be if you fall into this category), that if one complains about copyright infringement vis a vis Duck Hunt, Q*bert, etc. on the App Store, and/or complains about people downloading hacked iTouch/Phone game apps (pirated copies) and then goes and downloads an e-book without giving compensation to the copyright holder...well, it's a bit hypocritical.

Piracy is still piracy, and copyright infringement still copyright infringement regardless of what the medium might be.

Just puttin' that out there.

:(

15. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #15 Vende, Feb 17, 2009
    ^I don't want to make this a whole thing, but I'm sure you've seen copyrighted material on youtube (or perhaps you haven't) without any guilt. I don't see much of a difference, at least on an ethical level.

16. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Yes and no. I just spent about 50 bucks this past week :( But I figure sooner or later I have to own all games I'm interested in :) Making myself get bunch of Lite versions of games. And I wait for dollar sales now.

17. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    #17 spiffyone, Feb 17, 2009
    So by that very same logic then you'd see no difference on an ethical level toward sites that allow for downloads of cracked apps?

Just sayin'..., I mean...it is pretty much the same.

18. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    In the same situation. Only having 9 pages puts me on a limit, otherwise I'm constantly swapping out games from my pc. Yesterday broke down and bought Vector tanks, 7 cities, Zombieville, Skybound, Price is Right, PacMan & Downhill bowling. Looks like I haven't slowed down I'm an addict. =

19. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Regardless, back on topic, I spend less because there's been a bit of a drought. Serves me right for buying up all the apps that I was hyped on, I guess.

And now I find myself getting more "lite" version and wearing them out before I make the decision to buy.

20. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    And Apple really has got to solve that 9 page limit nonsense. I mean, I like the "surprise" I get when deleting a game I've beaten and then, after a reboot, seeing another game that was hidden on page X (as I like to call it) suddenly appear in the earlier game's place...but...c'mon Apple. Seriously. WTF?

More than anything else the two things I want from Apple in a future update is increasing the page limit past 9, and something as simple as allowing for any app that we decide to run to get the majority of RAM once launched (launch app, background processes shut down automatically, save for phone calls for the iPhone users).