Anybody else tired of retro games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Camzy, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    ok, lol, i didn't do it down a dirt road, but i have done this before

2. FinalGamerAC

FinalGamerAC Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Well im sorry you feel that way because for as long as you play games on the ipod touch/iphone or any other gaming console or handheld you will find ports(bad and good) and emulations. Its just how things work you think that people will only ever play new games? what about the thousands of old games that have been made? its stupid to believe old games will never be played. Also if you judge a game only by its graphics you are a idiot because graphics are not what makes a game just a part of it, some of the best games of all time are from the 8/16 bit eras. I do believe that ports or a emulation should not be made unless it is of good quality but i am defiently not tired of "retro" games, in fact i welcome them because id rather play old good ports(ala Myst) than stupid sudoku games. Both old and new games can be offered if you dont like a game dont get it.
    Favorite ports on ipod touch:
    Vay, Myst, Wolfenstein 3d, Megaman II(controls could be better) etc

3. Why are you on my lawn?

Also, you are in the minority, dude. There is a large contingent who love retro, many of whom weren't around for it when it was new. Suck it up and deal. It's a legitimate genre of its own these days, and for those of us who dig it, it's awesome seeing these classics make a comeback the iPhone.

Also also, makeover != retro. That defeats the whole purpose of retro. Sure, some of the classics that have been given modern, official makeovers are pretty cool, but if they don't include the original in its unaltered form (or as unaltered as you can get within the format), it's going to tank with the real retro crowd.

Don't like retro? That's cool, and if you're basing your opinion on anything Sega has released lately I don't blame you. But let's leave those of us who enjoy it to do so and move on to the stuff you like. We'll all be happier.

4. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    I wanna see Xcom on iphone.... oooooh!

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No, not tired of retro games.

And 7th Guest/11th Hour please.

6. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State

:eek: I must be the grandma this forum then

Considering that us "ancient" people predate all forms of video gaming, and entertainment consisted of wrapping tinfoil around cardboard tubes to make swords, wrapping more foil around an old Pringles can and pretending to be an Astronaut, or simply playing hide and seek,...then any game, whether it be Pong or the latest greatest PC game available today, is enjoyable to a degree. It isnt for pure nostalgia, or "impressive" graphics. It's just we can appreciate the simple entertainment value of it, no matter how simple it is. When you spend a good deal of your childhood pretending to kill aliens with your fingers in the shape of a gun and making ray guns noises, then the most horrific 8 bit game ever invented is a bit of a breath of fresh air and valued, if only for 10 minutes.

7. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    I'm one of those ancient mid-thirties ones I was referring to :)
    First game in our house was Pong. There's even an app for that!

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    They had Pringles during your epoch? You didn't just pound on corn with a smooth rock until you had a flat sheet to lay out to dry? :eek:

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    rotflol

10. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Actually, no,....i had to wait around for God to get around to creating the rocks first before i could pound out my corn.:D

11. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    You are so in the minority here, Camzy! If you don't like retro games, don't buy them. Don't even read any threads about them. Problem solved.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that "most" of them are lousy ports. Some are; some aren't. I guess you should leave it up to those of us who appreciate retro games to make the distinction.

If you cannot appreciate the beautiful graphics and leisurely gameplay of Myst, don't buy it. Don't buy Wolf Classic, or Pinball Fantasies, or Monkey Island either. The App Store has games for people of all ages and interests. Not every gamer is in junior high, and the I hope the selection of available games continues to reflect that. :)

12. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I'm just expressing my view that there are too many coming out and lots are lousy ports. I know that there are some who would disagree, but also some that would agree with me.

13. barl

barl Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Artist, Filmmaker
    Cardiff, UK
    I don't have a preference.
    As long as the game is polished, immersive, and has replay value - I'm sold! :)

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Who has agreed with you? =P

You're only talking about Sega having the lousy ports. And we already have a boycott Sega thread if you want a link.:rolleyes:

If you don't like the ports, don't buy them, it's that simple.

15. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    nothin wrong in retro at all, as previously stated by others in prev comments, if its a good game then it should be on as many platforms as possible. The age range of idevice users varies to so at least its catering for all tastes.

really lookin forward to the space invaders remix :D

16. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Nobody who has bothered to view this thread yet apparently...

It's not just Sega too. There are other games too that are selling on nostalgic factor alone and I'm just not buying it.

Perhaps it's just one of those things that some gamers love and others hate. I didn't like Cops and Robbers and EDGE for example where so many others loved it.

Maybe it's just the retro games that I don't really like that much. I'm not being prejudiced, I like Myst and Siberian Strike, but didn't like Tyrian, Monkey Island or any Sega crapps.

17. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Didn't like Tyrian?

I'm done here. :D

18. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Hehe I didn't like Tower Madness, Earth vs. Moon, Numba, and Super Collider and Snake Galaxy either :p

Just kidding!

19. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Interesting comments, thanks. I just discovered Tyrian (Thanks Bat!), and icombat, I love vector tank, it just brings back the memories and it's a different "kind" of gaming. Sonic was a big disappointment though, I couldn't be bothered to touch any of sega's re-releases. Too lazy ports I guess. Myst and Wolf classic I played enough in their day, not interested in going through it again.

I would get Lara though, and maybe Don Bluth's video disc games...

20. i refuse to buy ports of retro games unless they include an option for the retro graphics