Anybody else tired of retro games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Camzy, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I might not be one of the older gamers, so I guess retro games don't appeal to me very much. However, I'm getting more than fed up with the huge amount of retro games that are hitting the app store.

Most of them are lousy ports that companies are putting out hoping to make a quick buck. Few are inspired, given appropriate makeovers and do the iPhone justice. The iPhone has established itself as a unique and capable gaming platform, and few companies have taken advantage of this and produced games that really define it.

I don't want to see games from 1980 and 1990. I want to see games from 2009. Games with fresh graphics and fresh gameplay. In short, I want to see more games like Rolando made.

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #2 The Bat Outta Hell, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    No.

How dare you insult Tyrian, Myst, and Enviro-Bear >=O

3. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    There was a similar thread made a while ago. Anyway, i don't mind the good retro games, like Monkey Island. They remade it and it's awesome to play, I can't wait for the rest.

4. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here is a point of view of an "older player".
    I agree that there are a few ports that were made badly. Some games look way too pixelated and should have been given some kind of facelift before being released. On the other hand there is no denying the nostalgic value of those games. Tyrian for example was very innovative game in it's time and very few similar games today can rival it's complexity depth and content. Many of these games could benefit greatly from the graphics upgrade but with most of them it's not going to happen, so at least we can enjoy the gameplay itself.

5. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

plus i think theyd sell well. The older players will want to go back to the games from years ago and new players will hear these are good and will buy them. Its an easy market to hit.

6. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    Hey Camzy, while not everyone likes classic game. Believe me, everyone hates crappy port, classic game or not.

7. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Im only 15, when i was a kid i was not allowed video games till i got a gamecube at 13 and i love retro games, super mario brothers 3 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    You're 15 and a professional at appmania? :confused:

9. nic.

nic. Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Malaysia
    If one is going to ask me what I wouldn't take for guaranteed nowadays. I would reply "youngsters" :D

Never, ever, underestimate youngsters of today :eek:

10. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

actually appmania isnt a site anymore so no hes not :)

11. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
  12. Brinkman

Brinkman Well-Known Member

No, I'm just sick of Tower Defense and Flight Control games.

13. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    retro is cool, especially vector graphics

the more TDs the better, imo :p

14. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    All the ports of old games like Myst I've never played, I was probably 2 yeras old when they were all the rage. I do enjoy graphics like those in geodefence and dropship though.

15. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Well that's interesting that you guys are all sticking up for retro games.

What about Megaman?

Sonic the Hedgehog?

Like wootbean above me, I also like the retro graphics of geodefence and dropship, but they at least introduce new gameplay ideas. Some games are classics that don't dim - Myst, Archon, Tyrian... But, these games are very select. All these 8 bit games that my grandfather might have played are the problem.

16. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    How old are you? 3?

17. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    If they would choose the right retro games to port over it would be fine. If you're just talking about new games that have a retro look to them, I don't really care for those but some are ok. I am getting sick of companies like Sega porting over old games, emulating them to the iphone and then charging 5 bucks a pop. Do they even realize how long emulation has been going on now through the PC, PSP,and other platforms? If they wanted to make big money on it they shouldve started when the whole emulation craze started, not 10 years later!

18. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Retro games, erm, not really, I mean, if they're good, why not port them over? And even with the niche titles that I get sick of. The one's that ran on monochrome computers back in the '80s, so what if I don't like them? They're making some people out there happy. All I have to do is ignore them. It's really no big deal. What's next, I'm sick of McDonalds (I personally prefer Five Guys :D) because of all their cheeseburger variations?

19. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Don't knock "pushing a hoop down a dirt road with a stick" 'til you try it.

20. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    Hahaha. I always wondered how they did that. I would have just used the stick to break something :)

Considering that the 8 bit days were 84 to 89, his grandfather is probably in his mid thirties to early 40s. That's so ancient!