Any way to improve the screen sensitivity or smoothness or slipperiness?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by acrotran, Aug 27, 2010.

1. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Any way to improve the sensitivity or smoothness or slipperiness of the screen?
    (Or maybe there's a way to make my fingers smoother?)

When I play Fruit Ninja or Paper Ninja, sometimes my fingers glide nice and easy over the screen, and I do really well, but after a while they begin to have some resistance, and the strokes don't register as well. Then I lose.

The first thing I thought of was Rain-X, a product for making a car windshield smoother, so rain beads up. But I couldn't find much discussion of this kind of thing on the net.

Any ideas, tips, tricks?

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I don't have any tips but that happens with my fingers/screen too. I hate it when my fingers do that when playing Dual-Stick games... :/

3. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    get a good screen cover?

4. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    natural too? damn.

6. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    I can't believe you actually posted this lol

It's called "sweat" and it most likely happens to every iDevice gamer out there, except those with over/inactive hormones.

I would suggest either putting two small pieces of scotch tape on the ends of your thumbs (i used to do this while playing minigore and my iPod still registered my touch strangely enough), or buy a very thick screen protector. I find the iDevice glass is especially bad for sticking to a hot, sweaty thumb. I have found, however, that a thick screen protecter seems to glide much better even when you're sweating profusely.

Naturally, there's no way to EVER stop your thumbs from sticking to the screen after about 5 minutes of playing, but combining tape and a better screen protecter will bring you closer to a smoother gameplay experience ;)

7. It's sweat and dirt sticking to the screen...

Washhands and Idevice with soap and water (just wipe the device screen with some soap and wipe it off with a very slightly damp tissue or whatever.)

Get any screen protector. I got the one that came with the 'flip' idevice protector from Apple.

8. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    I clean my screen when that happens, along with the aforementioned wash your hands

9. acrotran

Jul 31, 2010
    Why should the screen protector be thick?

10. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    That or sandpaper

Yay 500 posts!

11. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    Not sure, exactly. I've had 4 screen protectors: 3 thin, crappy ones, and 1 thick, heavy-duty protector. The thin ones always felt sticky, while my current thick one almost NEVER seems to react as quickly to my sweaty thumbs. It's almost ALWAYS easy to play dual-stick shooters with the thick SP.

12. Teleeda

Teleeda Active Member

Jan 11, 2010
    San Antonio, Tx
    Get the zagg invishield. You will love it.

13. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Try using lens cleaning wipes for eyeglasses ( the pre-moistened kind) on your screen and fingers before playing. It removes the oils and dirt off the screen that have built up and you should have better results. You can find them pretty much anywhere for 50 wipes around 3 bucks. Try wipeing the screen down every couple days and see if that doesn't help.

14. mOOm

mOOm Active Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I totally understand what u mean. I am using the Martin Field screen protector and i got the reverse. When it is wiped clean, it is squeaky and hard to play but after a while i guess the oil of the finger form a layer and it is really super smooth and is great! And yes Paper Ninja is my best screen protection test apps now. I guess is about time razor or steel starts making gamer grade screen protector. :D

15. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I found burning my fingerprints off made my fingers smoother and they glide really well now. It's easy, just get a match or lighter and hold it inder your finger for a few seconds.

16. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The sad thing is that by posting this on a forum you're almost guaranteeing someone will try it

17. amarinder

amarinder Member

Aug 28, 2010
    i increase smoothness by cleaning it with cotton properly twice every week:D

18. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Sweat glorious sweat!

19. Peapod

Peapod New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    college professor
    California
    Try powder. Most baby powder is cornstarch but Johnson & Johnson still makes a variety of baby powder with talc. Be sure the type you use is talc. Wash your hands and dry them thoroughly. Then rub a little talc onto your fingertips. Make sure there's no loose powder by rubbing your fingertips lightly on a Kleenex--otherwise you will get powder into your iPod. This will "lubricate" your fingertips until you sweat it off but you should get a significant period of time before having to re-powder. Much better than KY, Vaseline or silicone "intimate massage oil"!

20. acrotran

Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks I'll get some talc.