Any way to get internet on my iPod Touch without Wifi?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Ph4ntom4, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Through my desktop computer? The block of flats i'm living in provides internet but no Wifi, which means I can't use any of the online features of any apps without going to find a free wifi spot.

There is a strict no wireless rule in the flats (so no connecting a wireless router to my computer), I was wondering if there was a short range wireless connector thing, that would just work in my room, or maybe a way to get internet through the USB?

Anyone know a way?

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Just share internet from your desktop. Not sure how to do it on a PC, but for a Mac, go to system preference, sharing, and check "Internet Sharing" (just make sure you've specified a source).

3. hockeyfight

hockeyfight Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Washington
    i dont think that you are able to. but i havent tried using it through my desktop

4. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    tethering, perhaps?

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    kamazar, u are my new hero. i have a verizon pc card and a macbook pro, and always wondered if i could somehow create wifi for my itouch to use. now i can ^_^ amg im overjoyed lol

6. Claridosa

Claridosa Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2009
    #6 Claridosa, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    I'm confused as to why you are not able to join your wireless network? OOps I take that back. Didn't see that you are not allowed to use a router. That's strange. So basically you are not allowed to have a network or wireless network shall I say. Sharing seems like the best option but I thought you needed to have wireless for that. Hope it works. :confused:

On another note out of curiosity, what determines a persons status ie. junior member, member, senior member etc. ??

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Number of posts.

0-29 = Junior Member
    30-99 = Member
    100+ = Senior Member

8. Claridosa

Claridosa Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes bc your Verizon card is providing you with wireless service so you can create a network and/or share the connection. I did not think you could do that with a desktop that is connected via cable modem or DSL without a router (wireless). Bluetooth maybe?

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    yea i knew there must be a way to do it but was never quite sure how, i think its cause i had only tried it back when i had my dell laptop. it was really easy to do on my mac tho

10. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    way to go off topic :rolleyes:

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I thought it was determined by one's sexiness? :confused:

12. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    For Windows there's something called the iNetCable Project or something like that by the Dev Team I think. Or you can just set your computer to share the internet connection.......

13. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Nothing sexier than a big long....post count.

14. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I can't use wifi because i'm in university halls and they provide internet only if you're registered with the university, so they don't want you to use wifi so people not in the university can use it.

How would sharing work on a PC? Can it work through USB?

15. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    can you a bit into detail on that