iPad Any upcoming RPGs announced?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jorlen, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Am I the only one craving a true RPG experience made specifically for the iPhone? Out of all the ones I've tried, Chronicles of Inotia was the only one I finished, but I don't see myself ever replaying it.

So, do you guys know of some promising / upcoming RPGs for iDevices?

2. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Puzzle Quest. If you've never played it before, it's not what you think, very much a RPG experience (to me) and the best "makes you committed to the game" kind of game yet.

If that makes any sense ;)

3. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Most great RPG title are meant to be for other gaming console such as PSP, PS3, XBox 360. So far I had purchased Vay and Arvale and I must say that Arvale seems to be the best RPG game so far. Vay had terrible control which I only played for several minutes. Once enabled the hard mode option the frequency for random encounter seems to increased by a huge amount, which I really hate. Wasn't hard mode suppose to make enemies harder instead of more random encounter rate?

Anyways if I were you I would get Arvale if I haven't got it yet. It's simply the best RPG game in App Store, YET. I really like the virtual D-Pad, which, however, might seems weird as it's located at the right side. Well, at least they had a virtual D-Pad instead of sticking to using the tapping gesture.

4. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Wow, you're the first person I've seen that didn't like Vay at all. I'm borderline about to purchase it, was it just the controls that you didn't like? I'd like some elaboration on this to help me with my decision!

5. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Vay controls fine. Is a good game, worth the 2.99 :)

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I was writing the very same sentence.
    To me PQ, regardless some 'porting' mistakes, is the best game in the App Store yet.
    UNFORTUNATELY, you have to know that if you're an avid RPG consumer like myself, it's out only the first chapter of the whole game (I finished it in about 25 hours for the main quest and almost all side quests/achievements)...now I'm anxiously waiting for chapter 2, but no date or news are given (I even wrote to Transgaming, but they can't talk about release dates).
    So keep in mind that, you could be left in the middle of story...

7. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Although 25 hours is plenty and I've been playing for about 10 and still somewhere near the beginning.. to me its worth the money!

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Oh sure!
    It's the best (quality) hours/money I spent ratio an the App Store!!!
    I really really liked how I thought several times 'I'm near the end' just to find out I was wrong.

I just cannot wait to continue adventuring with my fighter and honestly I hoped for shorter time between chapters.
    Not to mention I still hope for a wonderful iPhone port of Galactrix, maybe NOT divided into chapters in the rumored Premium App Store.

Where are you exactely after 10 hours?
    BTW, just to let you know....when you finish the main quest, you can continue adventuring to finish other pending quests, gaining runes/spells,etc...very cool.

9. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yeah I'm at the Orc Lord at the moment. The reason I'm taking so long is because I'm doing all the side-quests before attempting the main quests so I can research all the spells I want etc... I don't mind the grind as I know once I'm done it'll make the main quest a lot easier ;)

10. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I definitely am also looking forward to some good RPGs for the iPhone. I've been playing Puzzle Quest, which is a great game, but a horrid port for the iPhone:

1. The game state isn't saved mid-puzzle when a call comes in, which means the game registers your fight as a failure if you happen to get a phone call before you finish. And most of the fights take quite a while, meaning it's not a trivial concern. There are some enemies that are listed in my stats as 0 wins out of 4 attempts entirely due to getting calls before I could finish them, wasting a couple of hours between the various attempts.

2. The iPhone port doesn't give you a way to access the enemy equipment or status effect windows, which are accessible on all the other platform ports.

3. I find the text and many of the buttons to be awkwardly small, and unresponsive.

But, even given all those issues with this particular port, it's still the game that I've played the most on my iPhone.

I've bought and have tried Vay and Arvale. Neither has really grabbed my attention yet. Arvale has decent controls, but I'm not that into the gameplay. Vay has better gameplay, but frustrating controls. Both are ported from games with larger screens and didn't modify the sprites, and I'd have preferred to see a port with larger and more defined characters.

For what it's worth, Chillingo announced that they're releasing a port of one of Redshift's Palm RPGs, The Quest. There were a couple of threads about it here in this forum that you could search for if you're interested. Although they haven't mentioned a release date, their announcement made it sound like it would be coming out very soon. If it sells reasonably well, I'm sure they'll port over some of Redshift's other games and expansions.

I haven't heard of anything else that's been announced, but I'm certainly also hoping that some developers either start porting over some of the better RPGs from the DS and PSP, or even better, develop some new properties specifically for the iPhone's form factor and control scheme. Ugh...let's just hope they don't make you use the accelerometer to move.

11. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Hopefully Square will take more notice of the iPhone if the Premium section comes in.
    Even if it's just a Chrono Trigger port

12. dk206

dk206 Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    #12 dk206, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    Golden Sun ftw

LOL you guys remind me of myself a few month back when I was literally begging for decent solid RPGs to come out for the iPhone.
    But.... That now has ALL CHANGED

Guess what? ZodTTD has realeased gpsPhone 2.0
    Which now fully runs Golden Sun and I mean 100% with full screen and perfect fps
    Works like a dream. Been using instapaper for walkthroughs n secrets too!

Now those of you who've replied obviously loves RPGs and obviously know about golden sun I&II.

>:D best handheld rpg released ever! (apart from the sqauresoft's (now sqaure-enix))
    And you know it;)

Btw if you don't know who and what zodTTD and gpsphone is...don't bother asking

Cheers

Dk206

13. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Actually gpsPhone 4.0
    Yes it runs Golden Sun which is great, full FPS too, unforuntely screen refresh is a bit low but at least the sound works alright.

Waiting for Zod to find a solution to this as I'd prefer quicker screen refresh as I dont use multitouch much

Also...

Pokemon
    Fire Emblem
    Riveira
    Summon Night 1 & 2 (brilliant games)
    Breath of fire
    etc etc...

so many.
    But would still rather have something of FF7 quality on the iPhone (natively) as it obviously can handle it (not talking about the cutscenes here, may be a bit heavy on the disk space)

14. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah, the emulators are good, but personally, I'm waiting for them to become full FPS and more fleshed out before getting into any serious emulation.

What I'd like to see is a deep RPG developed specifically for the iTouch / iPhone and that makes use of its graphical prowess and touch screen interface. I suppose the wait continues, although I may take a gander at puzzle quest after a few more updates.

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My guess is that eventually Squeenix will port over Song Summoner from the iPod classics to the iTouch/Phone platform. Crystal Defenders was pretty much a port of the iPod classic game so it's a no-brainer that Squeenix will probably port over their "main" iPod exclusive game.

16. toiletbob

toiletbob Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    The problem with RPG's is that they are a massive undertaking. I don't expect an iphone exclusive for awhile now. However ports, when done correctly, can be very good.

I think our next good RPG will be The Quest. It's not a JRPG, like Vay or Arvale, looks to have multiple quests and a good number of playable hours.

I can't really think of any other RPG that has been announced that we've heard about lately.

17. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    On a podcast last month, the prez of Transgaming stated that PQ release was much closer then what is currently being speculated. He went on to say that the release would defintely be sooner than months.

Whatever that means.

18. dk206

dk206 Active Member

Dec 15, 2008

LOL ff7 quality?! C'mon guys let's be realistic.
    We have had vay, arvale, innotia....we aren't going to get a ff7 quality build game any time soon...as in this year...Or even two or three...or never.. The rate at which it is going, unless the big guns start dev'ing.

In the mean time I think we should stick to gba RPGs for now. There are hundreds and hundreds!! It'd take like 2 years to play all of them.

And be honest guys (no offence to devs), frankly they are far...far superior and better build and quality to what we've seen from the RPGs which have come through the app store and you know it.

@jorlen
    The new gpsphone which zodttd thankfully released is decent enough... And trust me it is.
    I've had so much trouble getting gba emulators to run in my life. Dealt with quite a few e.g vbagX for Nokia N-Series
    And gpsphone has been best so far! This alone could be all my reason for jailbreaking right now LOL

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Aight I'll install it and take a gander :) Can you recommend any decent GBA RPGs or other games that wouldn't require too much action?

20. dk206

dk206 Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
    arvale isn't a jrpg. Just tried to make look like a jrpg to make it appeal more. More of a tag along advertisement like that other game... Can't remember the name...dungeons and something or w.e