Any suggestions how to rip DVDs to iPhone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by hkiphone, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I have a lowly mac mini G4 1.25Ghz 1GB ram and it's under-used these days. I fancy clearing some shlef space by ripping DVDs to digital format.
    I'm wondering whether to archive them in AppleTV format, or directly into iPhone res and leave it at that.
    1) what software do you guys use to rip directly into iPhone format?
    2) has anyone tried ripping movies at AppleTV 800x600 and watching if on iPhone? Is that even possible (ie. Movie will not be at full research but is still watchable)
    3) is it still watchable to view iPhone res of 480x320 on a 32" LCD tv? Or is it horribly pixellated? VCR quality or less?
    Cheers!

2. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Program for PC called handbrake, by far the best for DVD ripping to iphone...

3. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Seconded

Also use DVD43 to be able to unlock them or whatever

4. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    I use Handbrake on my mac. It works really well.

Maybe everybody else knows this and I'm just figuring it out, but ... I realized I could use the screenshot feature and snap shots from movies. I can make some cool wallpapers that way.

5. GtotheA

GtotheA Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Austin, TX
    well i used magic dvd ripper it works good
    u can get the free trial version which lets u rip 5 movies but u can unistall and reinstall and lets u do 5 more

6. im_irish

im_irish Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've tried Handbrake several times before on my PC but it doesn't seem to work for me. I also used to use Magic DVD Ripper with a registration code I found online but after a couple of months it stopped working. I now use ********* DVD Ripper with DVD 43. ********* works beautifully but I think the trial version only lets you convert half of the movie with a watermark. I found a registration code online and I've been using it for over a year now. It lets you choose the resolution, add subtitles, change languages, crop the movie, etc.

Ok, for some reason its not letting me say A i m e r s o f t, which is the name of the DVD ripper. That's what all the stars are blocking.

7. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I recommend Handbrake. But The Dark Knight, that is a bitch to convert. I spent 1-2 hours, 6 programs and 2 operating systems trying to convert that I got it in the end. But yeah, download Handbrake.

8. max rimstain

max rimstain Member

Dec 30, 2008
    ok dude, Ive spent way to much time of my life wasted on finding the perfect format to encode movies, and I think I have cracked it.

The files are small, look good and are compatible with almost everthing, so to answer your questions I have the following answers.

1 > Handbrake to encode the DVD
    Mac the Ripper to rip the DVD
    Fair Mount to bypass the copy protection

The reason I use these 3 programs is because while handbrake is great it sometimes comes across a DVD that I cannot crack, the PAL release of Beauty and the Beast being an example.

2) No, movies ripped at AppleTV resolution do not work, below is the settings I use,

1> select the iPhone preset - this sets things up for you
    2> change QUALITY to 59% Constant
    3> in picture settings change the width to 640 - leave the aspect ratio on and the height will be automatically selected, most of the time its 272

3) Yes, with the settings I use above the movie is watchable on a LCD, and the file will also play on a XBOX 360, not sure about PS3, I loaded a movie on to a XBOX 360 with a 1080p 40" Samsung TV and the quality was a lot better than I expected, between VHS and DVD - but more to the DVD side I think

The file size depends on the movie a the quality of the picture i.e. Disney's Cars will come out at 800MB but The Incredible Hulk will come out at 560MB despite being roughly equal length, but this also means some movies come out tiny - In Burges is 375 MB and looks great on my TV, but its all about your personal taste and expectations of picture quality.

hope this info helps if you into having your movies with the correct art work and directors name check out METAX!!

9. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions!
    I started messing around with Handbrake last night and it seems a decent app. Took ages tho, like 5-6hrs for a 2hr movie. I was contemplating the Elgato Turbo.264 but read mixed reviews, mostly about the image being poorer or darker. Besides, I can just leave Handbrake on overnight and save abut of money.
    I love the Chapter insertions which works fine on iPhone! Next time will have to edit the chatper titles too. Anyway will experiment abit more with above suggestions. Cheers! :)