Any SAK (swiss army knife) enthusiasts here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by one.sixty.four, Oct 26, 2014.

1. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    as the title says. I just got a new SAK today (the SwissChamp) and am loving it. I can't wait for my first outdoor exhibition with it! It has everything from a wood saw to a ballpoint pen, and a fish scaler to a wire stripper (33 tools in total!). So does any one here like Swiss Army knives?

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Never had one but they do look very useful and if it's Victorinox it's probably as high quality as you can buy. I do like to have a pocket knife handy but because of UK knife laws can't really carry one about like I did when I was a kid.

Still I believe in buying high quality and have a Leatherman Lock Knife that cost me about £100 roughly, only has the one main blade but very high quality steel and it's definitely something useful to have.

3. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Nice! I looked at those locking blades- very nice. I went for the SwissChamp though because it's an all-around survival tool.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Then what use is one? Geez...

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Still plenty of use for all types of things the laws are in my opinion ridiculous to be honest, you aren't allowed to carry any type of knife that has a lock on your person (goodbye basic safety feature) and nothing with over a 3" blade unless you can prove you actually need it for something and chances are the police will just say "no you don't".

Despite that I could walk out now go into a store and buy a sword or a crossbow no problem.

When I was a child I was actually encouraged to use knives due to the scouts and camping etc nowadays it's wild how crazy things have gotten.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I bought a Swiss Army CyberTool back in what was probably 2003 or something, maybe even before then. Easily the most useful thing I own. I couldn't even guess the number of things I've fixed with it. I carry a Gerber EAB ( http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41830-Pocket-Knife-Exchange/dp/B0016KHW2W ) with me daily though, it's super light and tiny, and since it uses utility knife blades you can do some real stupid stuff with it and not care since new blades cost a few cents. The blade is small enough that you never have any kind of issue with security anywhere and if you do, the screw that holds the blade in can be turned with a penny. You can just toss the blade and keep the rest of the knife.

7. JARVIS42

JARVIS42 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Yup, they're really handy to have. I'm using a cheap one but I plan to get a more functional one. Any suggestion on what to get?