iPad Any possibility of a price drop / sale on 1112? I'd snap it up, how about you?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DieseliPhone, Mar 2, 2009.

1. DieseliPhone

DieseliPhone Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    #1 DieseliPhone, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    I'd like to see a limited time sale or a price drop on some of the games that I have been holding out on. I'm really hoping for a drop/sale on 1112 ep 01. The lite version was nice, but I'm almost to the point where I have waited soooo long - I'm just gonna keep on waiting. I bet there would be a resurgance of interest in 1112 w/ a small price drop or 48 hour sale, it really is quite a stunner graphically. $4.99 for a couple of days & I would pull the trigger. Anybody else been waiting on this one?

How about you - any other games that you would snap up if the price just dropped a bit?

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Please don't ask for price drops, let alone create a thread asking for one.

3. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I like this thread, let the complaints begin!!!

Here is what I have currently "appsnipped"

-Hairball (1.99)
    -CubicMan Deluxe (2.99)
    -Flexis(2.99)
    -Lock 'n' Roll Pro (2.99)
    -7 cities (4.99)

4. DieseliPhone

Feb 13, 2009
    #4 DieseliPhone, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    Not asking for a drop, even reconized the great graphic style of this particular title - but I am recognizing the fact that there is probably an untapped market of folks waiting for small drops on certain games and am interested in exploring what type of potential income awaits for developers willing to offer small sales in the prices of thier apps - not the crazy slash to .99 or free for a couple of days thing. I just wonder how many folks are putting off incredible game experiences for just a couple of bucks.

I am SURE that I am not the only one - Unless you are the developer of this app, I don't see how you can ignore the request for discussion on this particular issue. If your not interested; then, don't post or read further.

5. DieseliPhone

Feb 13, 2009
    appsniper is physical proof that a developer acknowledges this theory and has created an app to cash in on the fact that folks are happy just to wait and watch for a bit. appsniper also offers several levels of "sale" notification for those looking to save just a bit or alot.

6. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I bought 1112 full price and don't regret it. I am wondering why there has been quite a wait for ep 02 which is supposed to be $4.99. I'm still early in the game and enjoying it. Gotta love the Johnny Depp lookalike main character :p

7. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the devs were shooting for a March release for episode 02.

8. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I waited and waited on this one, and even sent a couple of requests to the developer for a promo code, since I will most likely be writing a review for this on my web site (and definitely would have had they provided me a code) and personally would probably have to give up my hobby of reviewing software if I had to buy every title I reviewed. Since I never heard back from them I did go ahead and buy it, and though I've not gotten very far I like what I've seen so far. Would a price drop have been nice? Certainly. But as long as the quality is good I don't mind paying the price I did. It sure beats the 20-30 bucks a pop I used to pay for PC games in my "frivolous" days that I never even played.

As for the delay, I believe it's because they are working on a strategy game right now. That's fine by me, because this platform certainly could use some more quality strategy games that aren't TD games.

9. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    hell yah id snap it up. i like that dudes pervyness lol.

10. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I sent an email to Sony asking them for a reduced price on a 42-inch 1080p TV because then I could see if I would like it and I even said I'd review it for them.

Why is that sillier than asking a dev?

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008

12. DieseliPhone

Feb 13, 2009
    The studio has been working on another project that has taken more time than expected - just saw the twitter about an attempt at a March release for ep 02, and read that they had recently finished the characters for ep 02.

Another interesting note, that the devloper twittered about, included a comment that the lite version of episode 01 had not helped sales in the US, and they voiced some confusion about this.

Seems that developers are looking for ways to promote their projects without feeling like they are compomising their time and efforts spent creating such "labors of love." Again leading me to wonder about folks sitting on the fence waiting for $2 or $3 price drops on games thay have been holding off on. There may really be a huge potential for increased sales (on many games) w/out cutting prices so extremely.

13. DieseliPhone

Feb 13, 2009

14. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    And if you were a known gadget magazine or reviewing site, they would have sent one to you free of charge, in order for it to be reviewed.

15. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Because Sony has a big budget for advertising, and independent game developers often do not. However, in exchange for the loss of an $8 sale, they potentially get good exposure with a positive review that's something more meaningful than the tripe found at the App Store.

16. bamafan12

bamafan12 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    zen bound

17. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    Also waiting to buy 1112, liked the light version but I'm waiting for the next epsiodes. Don't have much faith yet in them ever happening. And there are so many other good games available for a lot less.
    Edge, Ancient Frog, I have a list that could become purchases with or without pricedrops. It's just that when there are other games available for less, the higher priced ones have to wait longerto get snapped...

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I think there are several reasons that the app hasn't done well in the US:

- New IPs are tough sells. An indy developed game with no "brand" behind it or within it is a tough sell. Hell, even the "big" studios have difficulty pushing new IPs, hence the amount of sequels and offshoots we get year after year on other platforms.

- price point. The intro price of $7.99 is on the higher end of the spectrum for games on this platform. Might be indeed that the game is suffering in the app store due to that high price. This kind of ties back to the first point: the only apps that have been priced at the higher end that've done well are the "brand name" games like Sim City, Super Monkey Ball, and Crash Nitro Kart. Super Monkey Ball especially has staying power despite the $7.99 price point (one I suspect will go down to $6.99 or $5.99 in the weeks to come)

- niche genre. Again, adventure games are now a niche genre. So the pool of potential consumers is more limited than other types of games.

- that bad review on IGN. While I think that some of the points taken away were done for the right reasons (bad translation in the first version of the game, etc.), overall it might've been a bit too harsh. There are problems with the game, no doubt, but I wouldn't have given it less than a 7.

- it's episodic. This is...this is a REALLY tough sell. Once you beat the game you don't actually beat the game. Episodic games have been experimented with to varying degrees of success, but for the most part gamers are wary as they think that the story might never be finished if the sales aren't there. Gotta remember the tragedy of Shenmue (god how I wish Sega would just let Yu Suzuki finish the last chapter....). Even as a rampant adventure fan willing to buy just about any adventure game on any platform (one of my top rated games on this platform is Soul Trapper, and I eagerly await Hysteria Project and Secret of the Lost Cavern) episodic adventure games are hard for me to buy into as I am in constant fear of never being able to play to the end of the story if the dev pulls out of developing further episodes.

19. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Hm... I personally didn't like the puzzle design in the Lite version. Also, with only one real puzzle in the Lite, one has to wonder how much content there is in te full version. A pity, actually. I liked the music and the art design and writing wasn't bad either. Didn't even notice that it is French.

20. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I agree with all of your points, but to me this could be the biggest issue. The thing about adventure games is that they are like a good novel - they have a beginning, middle and end. With episodic games, there's not much of a middle, or at least it's not really easy to pinpoint until you have all the episodes in front of you. And like you said, if the developer bails before the episodes are complete, there is no end. Go buy a book from the store, rip out the last 50 pages, then try reading it. Will you be nearly as motivated knowing that you won't have any idea how the story ends? Now if I only paid a couple of bucks for each part, I wouldn't care that I may never know the final words of the dying lead character. On the other hand, if I'm going to drop $5 to $8 per episode, I want some sort of guarantee that I'll get to play all of those episodes. You don't even have this kind of certainty with a big name developer let alone a small independent one.