Any other mac devs?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mlfarrell, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mlfarrell

mlfarrell Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    Anyone else doing mac development on here?

Just curious to see how your numbers are compared to iOS. I have decent waves but iOS still seems to be my main contributor. Similar for you guys :D?

2. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

We are Mac developers. Company is called www.iLifeTouch.com by the end of this month we should have 70+ apps on the Mac app store. We are finding the Mac App Store very labour intensive at the moment. With sandboxing, snow leopard requirements and what ever Apple throws at us we have been treading water lately. Sales are now barely covering staff salaries and the rent. Definitely a tough grind with mega hours keeping apps working and following Apples guidelines.

We have had a few apps hit the top ten but that equates to very small numbers compared to IOS. We are now building apps that use iCloud so the devices are linked. Hopefully that will get us noticed.

If I had to start over today I wouldn't push our team in this direction. We are knee deep now and we see no way out but to keep developing for the Mac Store. Tough grind but it is amazing exposure overnight.

3. mlfarrell

mlfarrell Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    Very insightful. thanks

4. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    we are about to launch our first Mac App Store application (game).

but with all due honesty - our numbers do not say iOS is the best. the issue is that iOS is saturated and unless you get some visibility - your not going to get the sales you expect. i would say the same for Mac OSX as well. from our numbers; here are the order of "contribution":

- BlackBerry 10 (BlackBerry Playbook)
    - iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad)
    - webOS (Palm Pre/Pre2, HP Touch Pad)

there are definitely more iOS devices out there than BlackBerry Playbooks; but since the playbook is still a young ecosystem - visibility is so much easier :) i work as a developer evangelist for RIM so if you want to talk to me about porting your games, contact me! i've done it, so i know what you need to do.

PS: i ported my games before i joined the evangelism team, but i really enjoyed it! :)

5. TheBunny

TheBunny Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    MMO Mac Lead ZeniMax Online
    Baltimore