iPad Any opinions on Zone Warrior?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wastedyuthe, Oct 16, 2008.

1. I quite like the look of Zone Warrior here , and it has had a couple of good user reviews. But I would like to see some video of it first to get an idea on how it plays. It looks like it could be a pretty decent space shooter.
    Has anyone here bought it yet? Is it good? Does anyone know of a video link?

2. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Hey! This game is awesome, and no one is talking about it! I wouldn't have even known it was out if i didn't see this post.

It's space station defense game, with play thats like all the classic space shooters. It's obviously a low budget game, but it's one of the nicest one's i've seen.

3. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    How are the controls? Any chance of a video for this game, wanna see it in action. Is this better than Venger which I havenĀ“t tried either.

4. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    The controls are fine, like X-plane with guns. The accelerometer controls you orientation, and you have a forward/reverse button by your left thumb. I would suggest moving the sensitivity down a bit.

On the right side you have guns and missiles, missiles are limited, but home in on enemies.

You start off just shooting mines that come towards your space station, but as the stages progress you have to deal with a few different types of fighter ships, and even larger battle ships. A radar on the screen gives you an idea of enemy positions, and on-screen warnings alert you to mines approaching the station, or missiles heading your way.

An especially cool feature is after you clear the stage of enemies, you have to doc with the space station. If you managed to stop all the incoming mines, you'll get picked up by a tractor beam. If you let some mines through and the station was damaged, you have to dock manually.

In this process your weapons on the right of the screen are replaced with a roll bar to control your spin. You have to line up with the docking bay and match the rotation of the station while controlling your speed on the approach. It's like "Captain Skyhawk" on the NES. Anybody remember that?

Awesome game though, i hope some people check it out.

5. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I've played the first few rounds - it's pretty smooth. I love the docking! I too would've passed on this game had I not seen this post. Thanks guys. My only concern is how many levels it may have, because I don't want the adventure to end too soon. Let's invite this guy to our forums - he deserves the hype for this project.

6. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Might have to grab this one.. always been a sucker for space games. :)

7. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hey Arn - I'm sure you were going to cover the story on this one - The sooner the better, it's pretty awesome.

8. Sounds like the docking part of the game is similar to the docking clip in 2001, am I correct?

9. #9 wastedyuthe, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
    Yes I'm taking a chance on this one too, thanks to the people on here posting positive comments. Thanks guys. Will post my opinion a bit later.

[EDIT] Ok. This is a good game so far. I have reduced the sensitivity, and inverted up and down because that's what I'm used to. It does take a while to get the hang of navigation, but it works pretty well. I like the graphics and sound and am enjoying it. Worth the cash.

10. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Bought it, played it, loved it! Just one question, when does the game save? I choose quit game after 2 levels and I had no option to resume game.

Other than that a really nice experience with good controls, sound and graphics.

11. When I complete a stage and reach the screen where it tells me of the next stage with the continue button in the middle- if I click home and go back into the game I can press Resume and it starts that new level immediately.

12. dolly

dolly Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    bump !!
    Let's keep this thread alive a little longer. Zone warrior looks very promising in picture, but I would like to see a video of the game in action, or a review. I have done a search, without luck...

Those of you who bought it, is it still fun?

Thanks

13. 20Bernie08

20Bernie08 New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Zone Warrior Video

Hi guys. I saw your comments regarding Zone Warrior and couldn't help but to register as my friend developed the game. There is a video on YouTube of the game.It's not a very good video but will give you a good idea of how the game looks.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mcqaQVHPvHk
    Regards,
    Bernie.

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008

blake's writing up a review. here's the video.

arn

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just got it and it's great. There's really no story, but for $4 I didn't expect there to be. So far it's the best action game I've played on the iPhone. The levels are the right length and you can save after all of them.

I got a little pissed at first when I didn't realize the options screen isn't in the main menu, it's in the pause screen. I also didn't know you could pause, but that was my fault. It tells you all of this before each level:rolleyes:
    What I got pissed about was the controls. When I would tip the the top of the phone forward, my ship would go up, which seems totally backwards. I tried to get used it, but it was just out of control, I found that you can change it in the pause menu and it saves our settings.

I definitely recommend it. It's a lot of fun and the graphics are really nice.

16. vapourgrey

vapourgrey New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Looks good - Still waiting for a review

17. Looks like you had a bit to drink before playing- you even bumped into the station you're protecting! Haha. At least it shows how the game looks and plays. It is a great game.

18. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    How long is it? How many levels?

19. Phatmac

Phatmac New Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Zoa?

This looks like the classic "Zone of Avoidance" that I used to play on the mac. It lookes like an ideal game for the accelerometer interface.

Zone of Avoidance, Crystal Crazy, and Spaceway 2000 were some of my favorie early/mid 90s games.:)