Any ideas for a puzzle game for iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rjm226, Feb 1, 2015.

1. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    I'm looking to develop a puzzle game for iOS but haven't developed a concept yet. Do you guys have any ideas? Is there a certain kind of puzzler you would to see on iOS that hasn't been released yet?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Check out meteos. I'd play the game if it was freemium just as long as it doesnt have timers that can stop me from playing.

Meteos hasnt been cloned at all, but is one of the best action puzzle titles ever made.

3. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    I'll definitely give it a try, never played it before. Thanks for the reply

4. DoctaMario

DoctaMario Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, I'd LOVE to see an iOS game that plays kind of like Catherine on consoles. It wouldn't be a difficult thing to pull off and I imagine it would also make a great multiplayer game too. It's also a pretty different concept for a puzzle game which is really nice.

5. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Hey i'll check that out sounds interesting. Never heard of that game either.

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm a sucker for im all puzzles but that have meat to them.

Some of my faves are
    Kami
    Blek
    Dwelp
    Twined
    Hook
    Framed

I'm not fussed about paid or freemium as long as I don't have timers, but I'd tolerate them if the puzzle was addictive enough. I'd imagine it difficult to decide between sticking with a concept that's know to be popular like pic cross style or something totally unique. But I wish you luck with whatever you go with.

7. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    I guess I'm trying to land in the middle. Fairly popular yet still very unique. Thanks for all these great examples. I'm going the play the crap out of them for inspiration.

8. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    #8 Jerutix, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    There was one clone. It was called Mini Meteors. iPad only, for some reason. It was okay, but it left me wanting Meteos proper.

But, yeah, I agree. A good portrait mode version of Meteos on the iPhone with lots of unlocks and stats would be sweet.

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Have you got a link? The only one I can find is meteos blast? Unless that's the same one?

10. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    No, that's something else. Doesn't look like the same kind of gameplay. Here's the link to the Wikipedia page. It was an awesome game originally on the Nintendo DS by the same studio that made Lumines. It's sort of a high energy puzzle game that really used the touch screen well. I never bought puzzle games back then, but I think I got this the day it came out (or very very close to it).

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah Meteos is an Nintendo DS title with massive content. And i mean massive content. Tons of story mode endings, tons of modes, tons of unlockables and collectibles.

Found this video that could give you an idea what it is.

12. frostypopcorps

frostypopcorps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Slide The Block

There is a well designed game out called "Slide The Block". Seems to be taking some lovely design cues from Threes! with a significantly different game mechanic.

Cheers.

13. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Thanks Exact. This was really useful. Looks awesome. I think I have to play it in order to really understand what is going on in the game.

I checked out slide the block. I really like the aesthetic of the game. Very simple flat design. Very similar to the aesthetic I was thinking about implementing in my puzzler. Slide The Block is a little too "cute" though. Any thoughts?

14. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Started playing meteos and I must say all of you are 100% correct. This game is great. Right off the bat... the action really immerses you in the game. Very different than a lot of the puzzle games out there. Invoked the same urgency and action as something like 10,000,000. Great suggestion guys, would have never found this game without you guys.

15. Palaemonoidea

Palaemonoidea Member

Feb 6, 2015
    have a nice day:)

16. Pinkelman

Pinkelman Member

May 18, 2009
    I was surprised I couldn't find a good version of tents & trees for iPhone. A Dutch publisher "Denksport" sells weekly editions through their app and the hardest version of those are great, but they're iPad only.

17. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    So I finished meteos story mode on hard multiple times and tried to find all the different worlds. Looking for the different worlds and how the puzzles react to the gravity is what kept me playing. Couldn't play multiplayer since I was using an emulator. Although I think meteos is great and would really work on iOS, I think there is a lot of room for improvement. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I could introduce to the gameplay or how to improve the gameplay?

Thanks in advance guys. I'm also going to continue to play all the other games suggested in this thread.

Never heard of tents and treets before. I'll have to check it out.