Any Hand-to-Hand combat games (like Oni)?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rocklobster, Aug 25, 2010.

1. rocklobster

rocklobster Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    One of the most enjoyable games I ever played was Oni on a Mac. It had hand-to-hand combat only, no guns, etc. It was an action/adventure game in 3rd person view. Is there anything like that for the iPhone?

(For that matter would love to see Oni for iPhone...)

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Bruce Lee, Blades of Fury, Street Fighter.

3. rocklobster

Apr 7, 2010
    OK... I don't know BL or BoF will check them out. But I'm not interested in games like SF -- they're just two dimensional in a limited space. Oni had a story and environments to progress through. And furthermore the controls really felt like you were learning skills by learning combos, not just pressing buttons together. In other words it felt like there was a strategic element to the moves you made, not simply pressing as many buttons as you can as quickly as possible forever.

4. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Not to be rude, but this is the wrong forum, this should be in general game discussion.

As to your question, I'd check out Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within. It has swordfighting with a pretty decent combo-building system, but the real focus of the game is on the incredible 3D platforming.

5. Oni had guns. Lots of 'em. They were even on the cover. Lots of hand-to-hand of course, and it worked pretty well (with a learning curve) but you didn't have to rely on that alone.

6. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #6 dyscode, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Exactly. The Idea in Oni was the weapons can help you out from time to time. Damn awesome game!

Bruce Lee and Baldes of Fury are beat em up games.

Games like Oni I have never seen on the iPhone but here are a some games (remotely) related to the gameplay of Oni.

- Predators. It has lots of Melee and with some Weapons that you cannot use all the time. And it´s among the best Action Games in the AppStore.
    - Samurai has Katana-Melee but is a bit single sided.
    - Vikings - There Will be Cows. Def. Melee and GORE en mass.
    - Battle Bones , don´t know about that one.
    - Savage Tiger Fighter, don´t know about that one.
    - Necromancer has some nifty Combat I heard
    - Ravensword , well it HAS Melee but it rather sucks.

And maybe Xenome, I HAS Melee but is more on the RPG Side.
    I bought it but I had no time to play it yet.

7. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    This needs to made blatantly clear, This thread is for iPhone releases. Not questions or such. That's what General Discussions is for. (One forum below). No need to come of rude, I've just seen a lot of threads like these within the past few days and it troubles me because it's so dang obvious.

8. rocklobster

Apr 7, 2010
    #8 rocklobster, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Well, sorry but I didn't find that obvious. But now that it is in the wrong forum, could a mod please move it? Thanks. (edit: oops looks like it's already been moved ;-) And thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the suggestions by dyscode and nothing really appealed to me -- probably by virtue of the rather poor PC looking graphics, or maybe just the style, or both. Plus, either too "beam em up" or too RPG. Savage Tiger Fighter looks the most appealing to me, save for that jumpsuit. Guess I want Oni ;-)

9. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
  10. rocklobster

Apr 7, 2010
    Yeah, that looks pretty good. I agree with another comment in the above thread tho, the colors and icon are awful. But will try anyway. Thanks.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agree about Corporate Fury, though it should be noted that all combat takes place in arenas. Savage Tiger may be the closest to what you're looking for, but it doesn't have much of a story or the complex exploration levels of ONI. Someone suggested PoP:WW, which might also fit the bill.

Now that Bungie is no longer under MS's thumb, perhaps it's time to start a campaign to encourage them to port their classics to the iPhone. Oni would be great, but how about Myth 1 and 2, or even Marathon?

12. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I've yet to try Savage Tiger, thanks for reminding me square!