iPad Any good jigsaw puzzle?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D.Sync, Dec 31, 2008.

1. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I'm currently trying to find a good jigsaw puzzle that is able to track and save your progress, has nice user interface and graphics, huge board size, can use own picture from photo library and do not lag/crash.

Through 15 minutes of searching I found these:

- Jigsawed Jigsaw Puzzle
    -> Able to track and save player puzzle progress. Completed puzzle will be marked.
    -> Able to use own photo.

- Giant Jigsaw
    -> A nice twist that no other jigsaw game offered - 3D!
    -> Huge board size - 180 pieces
    -> Low memory issue? The updates stated that this problem had been fix. Need confirmation.
    -> Am I be able to use my own picture from photo library? :confused: Huge concern here. If it is possible I think I might get this.

Can anyone comment out those colored in RED? Thanks.

2. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Kimtopia
    There was a free one from Puzzoodle at Halloween that I played. It was pretty good. The puzzles were big but you worked on sections at a time. It looked very professional. Jigsaw puzzles aren't my thing, but I was absorbed by it for a couple hours.

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I remember that I looked for a game like this some time ago. My vote goes to Jigsawed.

4. wisegrape

wisegrape Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    agreed, Get Jigsawed. It's good.

5. Yes I have Jigsawed I'm not really using it much though waiting till it has "show edge pieces only" option just like all the Hudson Nintendo DS and other jigsaw puzzles did on DS. Also would be nice to have 2 or 3 cut shape choices for the pieces. Other than that it works well and haven't had memory issues with it.

6. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've also been looking for a good jigsaw app. Does Jigsawed have a "tray" or similar feature where the pieces are stored, or does it have all the pieces on the screen at once?

7. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Are you talking about the tray they have in Tangram Puzzle Pro?

Oh, and isn't there a video jigsaw puzzle? I remember it had a picture of a giraffe in the screenshot, but I don't remember what it was called...

[Edit] Just found it. It's called [App]Fliparoni[/App]. Is that even a jigsaw puzzle? For some reason, I always thought it was...

8. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I just purchased Giant Jigsaw and I think I'll just clarify some of the features here:

- You can use your own picture from your photo library, however, the size of the puzzle is only 4x4 (16). I wish the developer can include a variety of size though.
    - For puzzle size that is bigger than 4x4, you work by section. More puzzle pieces will appear once you complete a section.
    - It's in 3D. The environment is nice.
    - Rotating and zooming feature looks promising. You rotate by tapping a piece. Double tapping to zoom in/out.
    - Replay video that shows your progress for your completed puzzle. Not in real time but plays at a faster frame rate.

I do notice that my battery drain faster when playing this game. Perhaps the 3D engine has to do with it? Besides, when using your own photo, it might take a couple of seconds (5-15) to render the jigsaw pieces.

Overall I think this game is good, except the battery drainage. I will consider Jigsawed later on.

9. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Just one question for jigsawed, do you work in section for giant puzzle (size greater than 4x4?)

10. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've tried a couple of jigsaw puzzle apps. But it was a while ago and I can't remember what they were called. The problem I had with them was they were either way too easy (a board that was 8x8) and or they had all the pieces on the board at once. You had to try and sort through them all. I seemed to spend most of my time picking up the pieces and moving them around as I tried to see the board and find pieces to fit on the board. There was no off screen tray or border that you could park pieces on. I found it a real pain in the rear!

Fliparoni looks really interesting. I liked the video demo on their website. And that you can adjust the level of difficulty by changing the settings. I've added it to my list of apps to buy. Thanks!

11. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Fliparoni is a nice twist to the genre but I don't think it is a jigsaw puzzle. More like switching tiles game for me.

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Ok, thanks. I've been wondering about it for a while :)

13. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I just purchased Jigsawed and I feel dissapointed with it compared to Giant Jigsaw. I'll list down those features:

Jigsawed
    Pros
    - No lag

Cons
    - Cannot solve a giant puzzle (more than 4x4) easily as there is no zoom in and out features. You get a huge pile of pieces and you'll need to solve it out. You can't solve a puzzle by section.
    - The cutting of the pieces is almost similar, there's no differences at all.

I think I'll choose Giant Jigsaw instead. Although my battery drain faster with it but it satisfy my every need.

14. Shroud

Shroud Active Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I purchased both Jigsawed and Giant Jigsaw last night after reading this thread since both games are only .99 cents I gave them both a go.
    Here are my first impressions (about 20 minutes on each) game.

1. Giant Jigsaw I tried this game first because of the 3d graphics. I played through the first few puzzles and really enjoy this game. The graphics are very well done and the game is a bit smooth. There is a slight learning curve to get used to the 3d world however you can do the puzzles in 2d as well.
    No memory errors however I did see that the version now on the app store seemed to say that this problem was fixed with the current update. You can use your own photos from your photo library to create your own puzzles.
    The instant replay feature after you have solved a puzzle is a very nice touch and makes you actually feel that you have accomplished something.

2. Jigsawed A very nice and polished game as well. The default options are on the easiest settings and found that I needed to set them to much more difficulty as the puzzle pieces were falling into place without much effort.
    At higher difficulty the game is challenging and the ability to grab photos from Flicker and Photo of the Day from National Geographic makes a very nice touch. Lots of customizations and options make this very nice.

Overall both games are very well done and are easily worth the .99 cents asking price so my advice is to get both. However if you can only get one I would choose Giant Jigsaw just because the 3d enviroment makes you feel like you are doing a puzzle on your dining room table and you have room to move the pieces around the table while you build your puzzle.
    My only complaint with Jigsawed was when I was trying to organize my pieces some of them would suddenly snap into place and therefore takes away some of the challenge.
    I'm not sure if there is an option to disable this feature but since you can't move your puzzle pieces outside of the border to organize them I guess its needed.
    Again this is my first impressions on both games with only about 20 minutes of play time on each.

15. fliparoni

fliparoni New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #15 fliparoni, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    As the developer of Fliparoni it isn't a Jigsaw puzzle in the true sense of the word. There are no different fitting edges for each piece. It is however a challenging visual puzzle game and NOT a sliding tile puzzle game. The pieces can be rotated and flipped or flopped in technically 16 different orientations as well as in different positions. It also shows moving video images while you try to complete the puzzle so your visual cues are constantly changing. You can do still images and your own photos as well.

The videos on the website should do a pretty good job demoing the game play for those interested. http://www.fliparoni.com/
    Thanks.