Any developers/publishers with bad result with FAAD??

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by StudioUFO, Oct 5, 2012.

1. StudioUFO

StudioUFO Well-Known Member

Hello,

First, I am not here to bash FAAD as we also had good result before. Though this time is not so much and just want to know how others with bad results dealt with the situation like this. If you don't want to say it publicly, please PM me. Any advice, opinion will be helpful.

Thank you very much!

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Well, the worst thing I have against them is their crowd is fickle. My first promotion things went quite well, the 2nd was terrible and 3rd time we used them was ok.

That and they don't treat all developers equally. When we came to them with a project they weren't willing to highlight it. When we asked some of our friends at a much larger publisher to inquire about the same game, they were all over it.

Same game - 2 results. Both times the game was apparently 'tested and rated internally' (paraphrase, I can't remember what term they used and don't care to dig up the email).

3. StudioUFO

I see. Did you do anything about the one you didn't fully satisfy w.? like asking for further promotion? moneyback? etc.?

If I think about the money we spent and the total # of downloads from promotion, I'd like to ask for refund as I can't imagine running another promotion wouldn't make much of a difference. But I want to know what others did first.

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    They offered to feature us again another day, though we didn't like that because that meant going free another day that we weren't planning on.

5. StudioUFO

Any other developers to share stories??

6. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

I don't know well about FAAD but when I check some games that they did the promotion recently, non of them gain the good result.

I don't know how much the price is of a promotion?

Can anyone help to share me that?

Antony

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

Well, last I've heard is that it depends, if you're an indie dev or a big developer. FAAD seems to have different rates.
    There's another thread here somewhere where one dev stated that it costed 1-2k bucks but now can go up to 15-20k. But I don't know if this is true.
    I'll post it when I find it again.

edit: here ya go:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=42326&highlight=faad

interesting blog:

http://ragtagstudio.com/devblog/?p=44

This is very interesting when it comes to pricing at FAAD:

http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/promotion-techniques/98445-why-people-still-fall-for-faad.html

This might be the best read regarding FAAD:

http://www.pocketnext.com/stories/the-good-the-bad-and-the-free/

Looks like the winner is always FAAD.

But the thing that riddles me most is your posting above and the post from you from earlier this year:

8. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

Sorry if I confuse you, sometime last year I worked for my old company Colorbox, while that company did a promotion with FAAD one for Dalton - The AWESOME!, but now I'm on my own way already.

Back to the topic, thanks for raising more things to read, I'm on it now.

Antony

9. I used to use faad until i found things far better like TA's price reduction forum, appadvice, appshopper, etc.

I think their service will go down due to competition in the long run. I know i don't use it anymore to save the disk space too.

10. TapGenMan

TapGenMan Member

Oct 18, 2011
    FreeAppWin promotions

You can also try the FreeAppWin promotions. Sponsor a contest (where the prize value is given out to the users to attract them) in the new online booking system - tapgen.com/developers

There are many options like a daily or weekly or monthly promotion duration and price is very low - from only ~a couple hundred ($250) for a daily run to min $1500 for a monthly promo.

The higher prize amounts attract more users.