iPad Antivirus - New TD

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by coconutbowling, Feb 3, 2009.

1. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    #1 coconutbowling, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=302331458&mt=8

An interesting new Tower Defense has come. At $1.99, it doesn't look TOO bad. It looks like you use icons from the iphone to attack incoming viruses. Anyone care to TOFTT

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. James90241

James90241 Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I work at a Hotel in Newport Beach, CA
    Downey, CA
  3. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Looks interesting to say the least...really creative idea, but they should have made it look more like an actual springboard

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Looks totally ugly to me.

5. davidhenry114

davidhenry114 Active Member

Nov 4, 2008

I agree completely.

6. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    I'm in the middle of chem hw atm, but if this isn't TOFTTed by the time I'm finished (1-2 hours), I'll hop on it.

7. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Really great idea, but it could use a lot of polish. I hope to see this one get some updates in the future! :)

In a way, it reminds me a little bit of the Animator vs. Animation flash series, by Alan Becker.

8. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Here is my quick review:

poor graphics + poor sound + poor documentation = don't purchase

What you see in the screenshots is exactly what you get. I had hoped for a motes type game, but motes kills this by miles.

Stuff moves from the top of the screen, in a predetermined path, and you build stuff to (in theory) interfere with that movement. Your stuff, or towers, or whatever, are purchased with energy that is also used as your life bar. The various towers are priced by a blue colored gradient while your health is green, so have guessing. I didn't.

The instructions are worthless, so placing towers is trial and error AFAIK.

By guessing, I managed to lay out a few towers. One called SCANNER, shot a laser that killed, another called DELETE, did nothing. Something I built was firing off little stars that never seemed to hit anything, and I had something else called FIREWALL, which may have frozen something. Who knows.

blah blah blah

The game sounds like this:

BEEP BLOOOP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BLOOP

The music sounds like this:

nothing

Anyways, it's $1.99 for this game, which is not really that much. Punching yourself in the face is free, and atm, is probably the better deal.

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Dang, so now we have Antivirus and INKoming! on the list of recent crappy TD games.

Thanks for the review s0mah.

10. PirateMasterJoeDon

Feb 1, 2009
    Madison, Wi
    Hmm, I love TD games, but I'll have to wait till I hear other people review this one. Can't say that it looks all that good. Maybe it has really fun gameplay?

11. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    meh looks quite lame. i'll stick to the ones i have thank you

12. Ok too slow for my blood but think this can be rectified. Some suggestions don't pause the game when building a tower. If they want to pause it then let them via the GO button. If you still must pause it though during tower build at least have it automatically resume gameplay after tower is built. I can't remember what all those firewall, bit shield, etc. do. Yes it's nicely listed in Help but it's a Menu, Help, swipe three screens, back to main screen and press continue and remember what so and so does. Instead how about when you tap the box and select firewall just above that box it'll show the description of what the firewall and notes it can be placed on the internet.

13. foppajoe

foppajoe Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    #13 foppajoe, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
    I had this game. It isn't really new. I think it is pretty good. Lots of towers just needs to explain them better. Takes awhile to get used to. It is also kool how u can build stuff on the trail. About 3.5/5 stars. I woulnt really get it tho us there r enough td games on the iPhone. Nothing really special.

14. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I'm tired of TDs. There's ElementalMonster and geoDefense and Garden Wars and Fieldrunners 7 Cities The Creeps ZA Sentinel....too many in my opinion. This one also looks really bad. I don't think they'll even compete with all the other TDs.

15. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    As of the 1.2 update Antivirus really does compete feature for feature with it's more established brethren (with the notable exception of save/resume which is coming soon in 1.3). What it lacks unfortunately is that instant gratification feeling you get with (for example) Fieldrunners and it's technically superior gfx and sound so it's been getting glossed over a bit unfairly. However if you invest a little more time and learn the towers and unique strategies, it's quite a good TD game. Plus the developer is a really nice guy so if you have any suggestions he's actively pursuing a sequel where you turn the tables and play the virii; hit the DRG site and send some feeback.

16. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    There can never be enough good TD games. Unfortunately this game is none of them. The interface is not as good as it could be, it plays very slow and there is no turbo speed button. Graphics and sound effects are weak too.

You can pass this game. There are 10+ better TD games available.

17. deckard

deckard Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Man, tough crowd!

18. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I believe you that the core game is good. It seems to have a lot of strategic possibilities, but the game needs at least a small graphic and sound update and a way to speed up the early stages. There is too much competition to recommend the game at its current state.