Antitype - A Game About Opposites (BorderLeap)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by borderLeap, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borderLeap

borderLeap Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Founder & Game Creator @ BorderLeap
    Thank you!!! :)

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Would love a code if I made the cut@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);.entry{background-color:white!important}

3. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    You got it! Sending via PM...

4. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Np!#

5. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    #25 Yanagi, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    This game is dangerous, man! Forget the first 60 I cleared; I ended up working on another 60 levels immediately after it lol

There's nothing that beats the feeling when you figure out a level that previously stopped you in your tracks, and then by luck, the following levels turn out to be much easier until you hit another challenge. Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting worse at this kind of game when the answer turns out to be very basic words and yet it took me longer than it should. :eek:

...or the feeling after waking up and with the previous level that made you finally hit the sack you're suddenly able to clear it in just a matter of seconds.

EDIT: It seems like the difficulty begins to rise past level 200. Shuffling letters is requiring more and more precision compared to before. The only difference it makes now is it takes a few seconds longer to clear levels after figuring out the two opposites especially if you're still not 100% used to the mechanics.

6. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Sounds like you needed some sleep!! Sleep deprivation = unintended (but kinda cool) side effect LOL :D Awesome feedback though!! What level are you up to now?

Most definitely. As you've experienced, not only do words get bigger but much more thought process is required!

7. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    #27 Yanagi, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    I'm at level 310. It's taking a little bit longer to solve these puzzles now.

I'm still waiting for the level with the words 'approximately' and 'exactly' as have been shown in the trailer lol

There have been several times where I kind of wish the game had an undo button, even if it's limited to one use for accidental taps. But compared to Alpha Omega (you make one mistake and you lose all that progress; it's especially awry when you're at the last word and incorrect placement screwed it up for you), you don't really have much to lose in Antitype should you have to restart with only two words so it's not a big loss and overall livable w/o undos. The only time I did need an undo is when I have already figured out the two words and I'm just shuffling the letters. In the end it's not a big deal.

8. AbleLama

AbleLama Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Loving the whole minimalist feel to it. I'd love to try this out!

9. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    You bet! Just a couple codes left to share... I'll PM you one now.

That was definitely one of the options I'd weighed when designing the game... I think you hit the nail on the head though with there's really not much to lose in restarting and reattempting the level - and not being able to undo adds to the challenge a bit ;)

10. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Just when you think an innovative word game could not be made, borderleap enters the fray and comes up with a game mechanic so unique, unlike anything I've ever seen on the iOS market. Thankfully, the game has no timers and relies on thoughtful and strategic decision-making that make one's synapses fire at such an incredible rate. The mental gymnastics required to complete the puzzles, can range from brain-numbing to exhilirating. All in all, this is a worthy addition to the fantastic stable of games that have allowed this developer to establish a fine pedigree of games over the years that are worth our time and money. Now, let me get back to playing Antitype... s.t.a.t!

11. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    #31 Yanagi, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    I get to play a puzzler every now and then (they're my kind of evening leisure) without undo and designers do often mention challenge as the reasoning behind them; but sometimes as an ordinary player, they seem to mistake challenging for tedious. With your decisions on both AO and Antitype, however, it's clear that you have spent time pondering on the matter. Shuffling the letters should at the very least indeed be part of the challenge; either way, it won't ever take as long in direct contrast to assembling an entire AO board again. I think you've made the right call on both.

In that regard, Antitype ended up being the easier (to me, anyway) game of the two—when considering the overall challenge and the amount of time spent to complete. I just finished AO Classic yesterday and that took at least a week. There's just no forgetting the times back then I had to reset the AO board over and over again because I still haven't figured out all 15 words. And without undo, too, hahah. This time it's only two words so it does make sense why.

(I tend to practice care on AO, but sometimes when I'm moving the board my finger would accidentally tap a piece and after searching for that tapped piece I would accidentally hit the piece next to it, therefore consuming an undo. So, glad there's an undo [even if it's limited to only one use] this time around.)

12. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thank you so much for that... appreciate that more than I can say :)

Thanks ;) Yeah, with each level uniquely shuffled this plays into the replayability of the game and gives a bit of challenge and suprise. Keeping the undo button out always keeps momentum moving forward in this regard... I often find myself restarting the level a few times to see what unique arrangement comes up - that oftentimes will help me see the scrambled letters in a new way, thus helping me discover what the two words could be.

13. Yanagi

Yanagi Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Medicine
    Restarting is a de facto feature in this game. I sure abused it in later levels. :D

And good luck again with your release. I hope your game gets featured in many countries, you earned it!

14. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Ive completed 50 puzzles so far and it really enjoying it.
    It's a simple minimal word puzzle but with a mechanic I haven't seen in others.
    I have to admit I found figuring out whic letters to shuffle to get the desired word a little tricky at first, but as I'm suffering from pneumonia ATM, I think it may be me losing concentration too easily, that the tutorial being difficult.

Restarting shuffles the letters and makes the solution different, I like this because it allows you start a tricky puzzle from scratch and always feels new.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time with this while I recover (I haven't been able to spends days and nights playing games til my hearts content since I was a teenager, since I'm on bed rest for three weeks I'm going to take full advantage ha)

15. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks for the comments! Hope you're able to get better quickly - and glad you're able to play in the meantime :)

Thanks much!

16. borderLeap

Patreon Silver

Aug 9, 2012