Universal Another World - 20th Anniversary (By Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Dick Turpin

Dick Turpin Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I played this game way back in the Amiga days. The game was great back then but i remember the gameplay being quite tough. I bought this today and though the gameplay is a little fiddly at 1st its ok when you pick up the knack.
    Looking forward to playing this one - hopefully to the end this time :)

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Just don't get fooled into thinking this is gonna be as easy as it looks as the guy plays it in the video. It's not.

3. Nightshift Nurse

Nightshift Nurse Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Seems like a pretty dead on assessment of Another World. It's a good game with enormous historic significance dragged down somewhat by iffy controls and issues inherent to the era in which it was originally made.

4. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    how can i reload my gun?
    i am breaking out of prison and after one big shot it just "clicks".

5. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Just run, you will find a recharge point later in the game.

6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I could see this happening before this even was released. There's nothing wrong with the check points or the controls.
    If they go about changing things like adding in more check points it won't be the same as the original game.
    All I can think that people here are asking for is some kind of "easy" game mode or maybe even a mode that plays itself. That way you won't die.

Well I for One am totally happy with everything about this game.
    I cant understand all the complaining. It's fantastic that it's actually been released untouched and now everyone wants it fiddled with and changed.

7. the loafer

the loafer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    #68 the loafer, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    Having played and finished the original amiga version, I can appreciate those who comment that they wish there were more checkpoints as the game IS hard.

However, let me state to you that if they added closer checkpoints, you all would probably be the first to say "the game is WAYYY too short". Dealing with these extended checkpoints just assures that when you do finish the game, you'll feel you accomplished something.

It's part of that era's mentality I guess. Most arcade games fall into the same category. R-Type is referenced to as a great classic shooter but if it would have checkpoints, I gather the game would take between 20 to 30 minutes to finish and in this day and age of iOS pricing, people would freak and denounce the game as "way too short", yet it is a classic.

This is the danger in bringing an old game into our era methinks...

8. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
  9. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Good calls there, but it is era specific. If you go even older to collision detection horrors and pixel perfect platformers, things change. For such games emulation/porting with checkpoints is a wonderful thing. I completed Jet Set Willy and Roland In Time 20 years later under emulation thanks to game state saves - they were basically impossible in their times :). And when I say completed ... I'm pretty sure at least, it could be hard to tell in that era as well ><.

As for this game, Out of this World as I will forever think of it, it is cool seeing the updated version arrive - one had hopes ever since Flashback made it to iOS - but I'm not too keen to relive some of the difficulty. I did complete it on the Mac back in the day, but a lot of the second half only with a fairly decent walkthrough courtesy of whatever was the Internet back then. Some of the randomness of what you had to do was pretty 'out there'. It's one of those games where I can still remember pieces, just because they were so specific in terms of how you had to get past things.

Sometimes I think it's a shame, there are some game things I will always remember but didn't work out for myself, like how to get the blue crystal in Pathways into Darkness. It would be cool to actually be able to go back and play without such knowledge lol :D.

10. LTronic

LTronic Member

Feb 7, 2009
    NZ
    Possibly the best analysis about bringing classics to iOS I've read for months.

11. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    The problem with these games and their inherent flaws is the younger generation of gamers are not used to it. If you have never played it before you are going to find it frustrating as it's conventions are archaic.
    I think devs of these retro titles should put an easy mode in from the off that auto saves regularly and is generally easier. On the main menu screen there could be a hardcore or experienced (old man on a nostalgia trip) button to keep us happy.

Just an idea as I would love to see more games from my youth on iOS (stunt Car Racer anyone?). unfortunatly I think the slew of negative reviews this will get in the app store from those ignorant of those times my kill that wish.

12. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yeah it is a shame I'd love to see loads of old remakes/ports but everytime one comes around the younger generation bitch and moan about ooooo it's to hard oooooo I keep dying blah blah.
    But the thing is I love to play these old games how they were made, like dragons lair, cobra command and road blaster the only one I've actually finished is road blaster and that's because I like playing them how I would have done back then and that's with only the original 3 or 5 credits, none of this infinite lives nonsense and check points every footstep. I like my games challenging. Once it's finished some of the appeal has gone which is why I think I like not having finished these games, it keeps me coming back.

Well just my opinion from my old nostalgic brain.

13. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Now Dragon's Lair is the exception to my mind - that was hard just for the sake of it. At least on the Amstrad version, on the third stage there was not even any indication that the controls were doing -anything-. And insult+injury, the emulator save states didn't work with that particular game either lol. I never tried the iOS versions.

14. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Any comments on the game from a first-time player?

15. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    First timer here. I downloaded the game last night, this being my most anticipated title for quite some time. I've read and seen things about this game for years, but only finally got the chance to go hands-on with it last night. It's a pretty good game, but there are a lot of parts where you can't do anything but kill yourself because you didn't do things in the "right" order. Surviving really isn't the issue so much as ambiguity regarding the puzzles. I had to look up some of the scenes on YouTube just to figure out how they worked. The disappointing part is that once you know exactly what to do, the game loses a lot of it's challenge.

The thing I liked most about the game was that there was no real "filler" - every section had something new or unique in it. While this did serve to hold my interest for the entire game, it does result in an incredibly short experience. The entire game can be played in about 20-30 minutes once you've figured it out, which for a five dollar iPhone game perhaps isn't the best dollar-for-value ratio. When I pay what's considered a premium price for an iPhone game, I expect to be able to spend a lot more time with it than with a 99-center. While the actual QUALITY of the game was top-notch, I'm not sure the game length really justifies the premium (by iPhone standards) price tag. Still, I don't think that anyone who buys the game at its current price will be disappointed, and the conversion is as good as can be expected on an iDevice.

16. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks so much for your input. I don't want to sound cheap to everyone around here, but based on what you've said, I doubt this game will do it for me at its current price, and I will be waiting for a sale. Thanks for saving me five dollars (for now).

17. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah but that's based on exactly what was said earlier - seeking the answers online goes beyond even wanting more checkpoints, which was said would make the game a lot shorter and perhaps less satisfying. I'm not judging, as I said, I did it myself back in the day ;), but with this game you could spend a -really- long time if you didn't look stuff up, or a really short time if you did. I'll join you in waiting for a price drop though, for now.

18. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #79 Delusionaltool, Sep 23, 2011
    ya if you know the game and know what to do you can beat it in 25-30mins... all the dying and re-trying trial and error stuff is what takes the time... i may dl this to play the extra hard version... the pc back in the day i beat it.... I miss copy protection and busting out the Codex code wheel to get into the game.

19. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #80 Delusionaltool, Sep 23, 2011

check out this speed run, beat it in 23 mins..