Universal Another World - 20th Anniversary (By Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Sep 21, 2011.

1. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    The HD mode is REALLY nice looking. Retextured backgrounds add so much extra detail yet maintaining the original feel. Great job with the graphics. As for the controls, it's as good as it'll get with touch controls.

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Same here. I never even got close to finishing it. I remember being very frustrated with it. Even though a person who's reviews I respect has posted here and raved about it, I'm not sure if I'm gonna get this or not. Yet...

3. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    +1 I'd like to see that on iOS as well!

4. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
    could anybody be so kind and answer me this question please? :eek:

BR

MJFox

5. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I doubt you'll see that game, largely because Another World is still fun, beloved and talked-about twenty years on, while Heart of the Alien... isn't.

HotA is basically the Shock Treatment to AW's Rocky Horror Picture Show.

6. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    #46 Magnum0ik, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    Gutted!!! Doesn't work on my iPad 2.

Crashes straight to desktop from the option menu, as soon as I press play.

Edit: I have deleted and re-downloaded. Works perfectly now. Just as good as I remember. Some games are better left in the past but this is just fantastic.

7. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Really? How did it get onto the AppStore if illegal? I did purchase and controls are poor.

8. BubbaMc

BubbaMc New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Those new to this game are in for a real treat! A must buy if there ever was one.

9. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I'm having a very hard time figuring out the controls here. I've completed this before so know what I'm supposed to be doing but actually making it happen is a whole other matter.

10. IloveGame

IloveGame Member

Jun 13, 2010
    From the pics it is for me an insta buy game

11. BubbaMc

BubbaMc New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Logging in to game center fixed it for me.

12. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

LOL I just went through that exact experience with the opening.

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I'm loving this. I think I actually appreciate it more now than I did when it was released (well I was only 11 back then) but anyway I like whats been done with the graphics even though the original graphics don't actually look bad for being 20 year old, but the extra little details and lighting really make a difference.
    With the controls I'm using the touch controls just fine for the most part but there's been a couple of bits (I won't post any spoilers but it's where you need to run and jump quickly) where I've had to switch to the d-pad for a screen or two as I've needed the extra control.

Overall though it's a fantastic game and really stands the test of time, more remakes of old classics please.
    I'm hoping for things like "heart of darkness" (im sure it was ps1 though) oh and If your old you'll remember this, "zool" Actually just remake the entire amiga catalogue and I'll be happy :)

14. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Exercise your rights and don't download it then. Meanwhile those of us that do can enjoy a quality edition of this game.

15. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    and now remake syndicate 2 please :)

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Heart of the Alien is fine, it just wasn't as widely released, nor did it have the wow factor of the original. Also: while everybody loved Another World, how many people actually finished it? The game is BRUTAL.

PS> Shock Treatment is about as brain-dead as a movie can be, but it's got great music! :D

They did - it's got difficulty levels and redone controls/art/assets...

Nintendo and Namco must really make you feel ill.

17. Nightshift Nurse

Nightshift Nurse Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    #57 Nightshift Nurse, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    The controls are a bit too fiddly for my liking.

Also, what the hell is with the checkpoints?! Good lord, if I have to repeat that "flood the cave" section one more f-ing time because of interactions that happen well after that point...

It would've been nice if they had addressed those along with the visuals.

18. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Lol welcome to the games I grew up with atleast this has check points plenty of games around the same time had none and expected you to finish it in one go.

19. Nightshift Nurse

Nightshift Nurse Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    They're the same games I grew up with. It doesn't mean flaws inherent to the era can't be addressed when a title is revisted.

20. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Ahh, you too. They need more regular check points as having to constantly redo entire sections (I too have to keep redoing that sodding cavern) is no good when you can only play in small bitesize chunks.
    When I get back to the game after a break I have to re-memorise where to jump and when the bloody guard is going to suddenly appear from off screen and blast me.

I love old games but.......