iPad ANOTHER Fuzzle update...???

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrettArchibald, Nov 14, 2008.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    iTunes just kindly let me know that there's yet ANOTHER Fuzzle update waiting for me to download.
    And guess what awesome cool new changes are included in this version?
    Minor bug-fixes, apparently...

I mean come on, I do like the game, but this is just taking the p!ss... :confused:

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    mek beat me to it...why u little...

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

as i stated in the other thread, i am going to negatively review this app, saying i dont appreciate the every other day bug fixes that dont seem to add any actual value to the game

didn't the developer pretend to be a model originally to sell the store

not a fan

4. dwsolberg

dwsolberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Yup

I have other games I like a lot more, and I deleted it from iTunes because I don't want to download updates just so Fuzzle can move up in the App rankings.

This is something that Apple should fix: Updates should not move you up in the rankings. Then again, Apple has a lot to improve in the App Store.

5. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    I also have this game and just deleted it. Every single update says "minor bug fixes". If the app is so buggy that they need an update every 3 days to fix "bugs" then it shouldn't be up in the app store.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I deleted it from my iPod because of this and I'm going to lower my review score for it.

7. PHARTGAMES

PHARTGAMES Well-Known Member

Fuzzle is definately taking the piss, however it's just about the only way to guarantee you get steady sales.

Apple should limit updates to once a week, otherwise too bad, all you can do if you have major problems is remove from sale.

8. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I don't like them doing this, but I still update it as I hate seeing the red update icon and thinking it's something more important. (like fieldrunners! :)

I'm not going to delete it though, I quite like the game for some reason.

Find it hard to get more than 600 score though.

It will probably go off my iphone soon unless they raise the app limit. Lack of space is my number 1 peeve right now.

9. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I wonder if there are even any actual bug fixes or if the dev is just being malicious and doing the updates to get higher rankings. The updates are certainly too many too soon. If it has genuine bug fixes then the dev should spend like 2/3 weeks working them all out and giving us a single update at the end of it. Also I dont see people really complaining that much about it - another reason that I am sceptical about these so called "bug fixes". With so many updates, you would think they actually bring something new to it. Not being able to actually break down the "bug fixes" to me just tells me that the Dev is probably being a bit dishonest about this and as others have said - something to do with the rankings.

10. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Don't get me started on this ;) They're not the only ones but they certainly do it to an extent that's ridiculous (they also used the method of setting their app to free, getting lots of downloads, and putting it back to paid to get in the Top paid list - although I think Apple have closed this loophole now.)

The thing I don't understand about this is that Apple provide a document for developers that indicates the frequency of updates that should be kept to depending on what needs to be done, e.g. critical fixes, new features etc. The developers of Fuzzle don't even come close to following those guidelines and if Apple aren't prepared to enforce them then what can you do *shrug*

As for getting a bump when you update, I really don't think this should be removed as it's valid for most developers who do produce updates that (a) follow Apple's own guidelines and (b) are worthwhile updates. But Apple need to start enforcing their own guidelines/rules so it's not gamed. It can't be that difficult for them - they must have some history of updates for an app when they come to review yet another update.

EDIT: Actually one thing they could do is split the what's new into new features/enhancements and bug fixes - if it's just a bug fix release then you cannot get a bump - this would might help limit undercooked software hitting the store or, at the least, hiding apps from developers who did get it right when they first released.

11. candycane_dev

candycane_dev Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    #12 candycane_dev, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    response from candycane

Hi, i'm a developer at candycane (who make fuzzle), and having discovered this thread today, would like to explain our position ...

The previous update contained firstly a fix to give the user feedback when they attempt a move that is not possible due to no clear path being available - this was in response to user feedback where it was clear that some users didn't fully understand this rule. Secondly, we fixed some issues with high-score submission sometimes failing.

I admit we were a bit lazy in describing the changes in our updates, leading perhaps to the misunderstanding here, and apologize for this.

We try to update our game frequently whenever we have something we consider worth fixing or when users report an issue. We were unaware of any dissatisfaction this was causing, and apologize for this.

As a result of the postings here and the multiple negative 1* reviews regarding our updates (by the looks of it, all resulting from the recent threads on this site), we have cancelled our next planned 1.3.x update, and will not do another update until Fuzzle 1.4, which is a major update containing more game difficulties and modes as requested by users, and many other small improvements. We have been working on this update for some time, in parallel with making the fixes to the 1.3 branch whenever we discover an issue in the 1.3 builds.

We are a small games developer and really depend on Fuzzle's success in order to continue. Thus, we would really appreciate if users have concerns to consider first contacting us directly rather than posting in forums or giving us 1* reviews due to issues we are previously unaware were causing concern. In any case, we appreciate your feedback and will try to continue to improve Fuzzle in response to your feedback, but without burdening the users with as frequent updates.

I should also clarify that, while its hard to be totally sure, it appears that something like 80-90% of our Fuzzle sales come from Fuzzle Lite users liking the game and upgrading to Fuzzle, rather than Fuzzle updates - Fuzzle has been steadily sitting in the 30-somethingth position for a while now, with sales remaining very steady independent of our updates.

12. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    @ candycane_dev:

I appreciate the detailed response from you there. :)

I think the best idea is to give DETAILED notes in your updates list whenever you publish an update.
    That way, users will know exactly what the changes are, and they won't think you are trying to bend the App Store guidelines with "fake" updates.

13. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    @ candycane_dev

I really like your game!

I'm look forward for the major update!

By the way, the updates didn't bothered me but it'll be better to make less of them if they are not so necessary.

14. SwingOnThis

SwingOnThis Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Any timetable on this update? :)

15. candycane_dev

Nov 14, 2008
    #16 candycane_dev, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
    hey, thanks for the positive feedback. Fuzzle 1.4 is feature complete, but we'll be doing some testing still and release sometime next week, fingers crossed :)

and yeah, we'll definitely try and pack more into each update now, and be more descriptive about them, now that we're aware that too frequent updates can be an annoyance for some users.

16. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    @candycane dev

need any beta testers for fuzzle 1.4 update? ;)

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    An obvious new feature that Apple needs to add to the app store is a "Highest Rated" feature, which would appear on the front page and the main page of each category, and would replace "What's Hot". Only the last some period of time reviews would be considered when producing this listing so that the section doesn't stay static, and to reflect more current reviews (including updated reviews.) Why isn't Apple rewarding high quality apps? It seems to me that that is in their best interest too.

18. candycane_dev

Nov 14, 2008
  19. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    k i sent u my udid. hand over the beta...... :D