Universal Anodia 2 (by CLM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 6, 2015.

1. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Thank you ##

2. afro-can

afro-can Member

Apr 20, 2015
    This game is awesome , highly recommend

3. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! So far, Anodia 2 has a very positive reception. Too bad it's almost not featured in the App Store (although it is featured as a best new game for iPad in the US and Canada). Well... what can you do? ;)

4. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    The game retains what made the first game great while implementing some new 'freemium' (the word doesn't do this game justice) ideas that actually integrate surprisingly well into the game.
    As you play the game you receiver regular gifts of gold and collect cash while playing through levels. The game cycles through all unlocked levels; how long can you survive with five lives? You can spend 100 coins to unlock a random level.
    There's a lot of content here, with quite a lot of levels (80), and with an unlock system that feels fair and generous the gameplay side of it holds up very well.
    Graphically the game has a very pseudo-modern flat look that seems to be all the craze recently. Initially I didn't like it too much, but I've grown to enjoy it's minimalistic flair. Even if you don't appreciate the style there's no arguing that it doesn't look beautiful in it's own right. The soundtrack is great.
    It's a great game, and at the price of 'free', there's no reason why you shouldn't download this gem; and hey, even give a few bucks to the dev :)

5. rza422

rza422 Active Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Cracking game, loved the first and enjoying this one too, few quid sent to the devs for a coin double up.

6. Kilgin

Kilgin Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Is there iCloud support for this game?

Like for Anodia?

7. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

The paddle lags behind the finger.

8. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Apr 10, 2011
    Unfortunately no at the moment and it's not currently on our road plan.

That's not a lag, that's a feature ;) This is a design choice that we've made when implementing original Anodia -- the paddle is a physical body and it works according to the laws of nature, teleportation is not yet invented ;)

9. Kilgin

Kilgin Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks for responding.

I think it would great if you could implement syncing of game progress across devices either through iCloud or GameCenter.

10. diegohostettler

diegohostettler Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I bought and loved the first anoxia. This one on he other hand does not make any sense. It's utterly boring to grind for coins and replay the odd 5-6 levels over and over again. You should just have made it premium and add a campaign. I would have bought it. But like this you won't get a cent.

11. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Apr 10, 2011
    diegohostettler, believe me, we've made a lot of design choices to avoid replaying 5-6 levels over and over again.

When you're starting Anodia 2 for a first time, there are 5 levels unlocked. With free gifts alone, it's possible to get around 450 coins after the first 30 minutes of play. Also, in those 30 minutes you should be able to collect over 50 coins and all of that should lead to additional 5 unlocked levels.

As an average level play time is around two to two and a half minute, you should not see repeated level during 20-25 minutes of play and that is more than the average session length. What's more, with the next three gifts it's possible to unlock at least four additional levels during 4 hours since game install (not 4 hours of play). This reduces repetition a lot and with additional daily gifts you should get pretty big level collection in no time.

All of this is possible without giving us a cent (directly or indirectly) and we hope it gives a fair amount of fun quickly after install. If you want to speed it up, it's your choice and there are in-game options to do that.

One of our goals is to have players go back and play Anodia 2 some more, not simply play, complete (or not) and forget as it happens with a lot of games these days.

Oh! And remember to use the big shiny play button from the main menu, not the additional levels menu. That way, Anodia 2 will decide for you, which level is best to play next.

And as a side-note, premium is not really an option for a tiny two men studio these days, unfortunately.

Hope you will give Anodia 2 another chance, I'm sure it's worth it!

12. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Apr 10, 2011
    #32 CLM, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Hi guys, it's been two weeks since Anodia 2 release!

For us it was quite busy time and we're preparing a new update that will include 10 new levels, sneak preview:

[​IMG]

What do you think about it? ;)

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hi dev! I have two concerns I should mention:

First is that the game doesn't do multi touch I suppose, so that's a problem when you pick a spot to shoot gravity suction while moving. I've lost many times because I tapped the screen to use the suction and then the paddle will fly all the way to where you tapped.

The second is that the charge for the suction is always blocked by your finger. I have to move my finger while playing to see it. I would prefer if you moved the charging indicator to the top of the screen.

I'm excited for the new update however! :)

14. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks for comments!

Multi touch issue is hopefully fixed in 1.1, but it will probably take some time to appear on the App Store.

As to charging indicator we have different idea that is in the road plan for the future -- option to swap its place with combo indicator, which is less important. This will keep overall look intact and solve the problem.

15. wintersnowman

wintersnowman Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Grouses

I often get levels that are already unlocked when opening my prize. You guys are already making us work for coins, the least you can do is to reward us with new levels each time. The current rate is pathetic - 1/3 tries at the prize machine gives me a new level. In other words, I am throwing away 200 hard-earned coins each time. Moreover of late, the ability to earn coins by watching videos isn't available anymore for some reason or another.

16. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    Got around to spending some time with this one, and I was not really impressed. My baseline for everything that a block breaker should be is still the original Arkanoid, arcade or NES version with special controller. As I was playing this I was never really sure what my goal was. Is it just to go as long as possible? Is there ever an ending? Who knows, the game never really says. After playing for a while I wander in to the leaderboards, but I am not listed at all. What do these scores represent? Highest in a single run? Lifetime? Who knows, and since I am not listed I have nothing to compare to. I guess as a zen experience this game is ok. The art is cool and there are so many levels you have variety every time. I personally like a set of sequential levels with a goal. I want to play the same levels time and again so that I can learn the nuances as I progress. I want some sort of predictability in what it takes to break a block. In Arkanoid, for example, colored blocks are one hit, silver 2, etc. The power up/power down system is this game is cool. Some of the things they use like platform extender, sticky platform, multi-ball, and guns were also included in the original Arkanoid, it however did not have power downs. It is free to try so there is no reason not to, but just wanted to drop my thoughts for the benefit of others.

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ It's basically a high score game like most other block breakers. There's a high score listing and it shows your current score on the main page while you're playing.

It's more interesting than other block breakers because there's more freedom in design. The fact that many others have mostly predictable layouts made them get boring rather quickly. This one you unlock new levels each with varying designs and interactions.

18. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    So when I look at the leaderboards and see that someone has like 3.2 million, that means they got that much in 1 session with 4 lives? I was curious about this, and normally the Game Center will say at the top that you are in whatever position with your best, but in this case it wasn't doing it for whatever reason.

19. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Apr 10, 2011
    Chance of getting a new level is related to amount of unlocked levels and total levels in the game. We're calculating probability, expected value and adjusting it a little bit in players favour. With 80 total levels you'll get a new level 26 times before any level is duplicated. With 90 levels it would be 30 times, so the simplest way to improve chances of getting a new level is keeping finger crossed for new levels :)

We don't have control over video ads availability as this is handled by third party providers. We'll monitor it and consider integration of additional providers in the future.

Goal is the same as always -- break everything and keep ball on the screen ;) There is information about the goal at the end of tutorial: 5 lives, random levels, get the best high score (so basically a survival mode). There is object life indicator at the top so you can quickly get a glimpse at the object lifetime.

As L.Lawliet mentioned, predictable level layouts get boring very fast and we were trying to think out of the box (brick?) and at the same time make everything consistent. It was quite challenging, but we think it turned out pretty well :)

Leaderboard score is submitted after every completed / failed level and hopefully your score is not visible due to some temporary issue, no one else was reporting it yet. Let us know if this is still a problem, please double check that you are logged in with proper Game Center account (i.e. not some test sandbox account).

The time has come, Anodia 2 v1.1 will be released Today, it includes:

- 10 brand new levels
    - improved multi-touch support (adding a gravity point should not make the paddle move anymore)
    - adjustments in the next level selection algorithm for more fun and uniqueness
    - minor GUI tweaks on the level completed screen
    - fixed saving audio configuration when changed from the pause menu screen
    - fixed an issue where nothing happened after tapping an option to get coins multiplier
    - updated third party SDKs to improve stability
    - fixed font size on the more levels page
    - tons of tiny fixes, improvements and tweaks

Have fun and let us know what you think when it's out! :)

20. wintersnowman

wintersnowman Member

Oct 12, 2012
    So I "supported the developers" and paid for the 3x coin drop. Previously I was offered approx ~ 30coins to watch a video. However, after paying for the 3x coin drop, I am still getting ~30coins to watch a video. Tell me then, what am I paying this premium for? Please let me know how are you gonna give me what I paid for