Announcing Songtext Lyrics (5 promo codes)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by elo, Jul 10, 2009.

1. elo

elo Member

Mar 10, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yay, Apple just released Songtext, my first app. It brings you the lyrics to the songs you are listening to in your iPod app. Launch Songtext while a song is playing and it automatically downloads the lyrics. There are a few other apps that do this similarly (e.g. Lyrical, Lyrics+, Rhapsolyrics) but I think Songtext is worth checking out for its iPod-like UI and full playback controls: no need to switch back to the iPod app to skip to the next song or turn on Shuffle. Check it out at http://songtextapp.com.

Introductory price $0.99. Here are 5 promo codes:
    FE3RHHXTRLAK
    7MNM97LYPJKE
    LM7XW4XYARXF
    WAYA4EXL764N
    3XANRAK6NKYN

I'd love to read your feedback.

2. otggamer

otggamer Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Very cool, congrats elo!
    I can't wait to check this out, I'll post a review/ provide feeback soon.
    I used code: LM7XW4XYARXF

-Brett

3. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    #3 Crypton, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    All codes taken.
    Too bad :(

EDIT:
    @elo:
    Welcome to TA!
    Some questions regarding your app:
    How about songtexts for not-so-popular songs?
    What about german titles?

EDIT2:
    Just checked out lyricwiki, so the above questions can be answered: YES
    A new question: Does the songtext scroll automatically, or do I have to scroll?

4. elo

elo Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to participate.

I'm getting the lyrics from http://lyricwiki.org so everything you find there should be available. The LyricWiki database is already very large (>700,000 songs, I heard) and includes many international artists. Here are a few German examples:
    If you still miss some lyrics: it's a wiki, so post them to LyricWiki! ;-)

5. elo

elo Member

Mar 10, 2009
    It's not a Karaoke app, so yes, you have to scroll manually.

6. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Just bought it :)

7. otggamer

otggamer Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Sorry, I was really busy this weekend and didn't have a lot of time to give your App a good run through. Though, this was going to be one of my comments as well. ;-) I think it's be a cool thing to have, but not a necessity.

With mainstream stuff, I found that the app did a great job finding the lyrics, with things like The Laurie Berkner Band (a singer for kids) I didn't have any luck. Although that isn't nec the fault of your app, but the fact that lyricwiki.org didn't contain the songs. Have you given any thought to having the app support multiple databases? Maybe even allow users to add a database to search? And then it would work off a hierarchy if the song was not found on one database?

I realize this is probably a lot more work, :(

8. elo

elo Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback, I appreciate this very much. I am thrilled with the response I got so far. Songtext reached #3 in the Music category on the German App Store and is hovering around #30 in the US Store at the moment.

I am definitely looking into how I can further improve the search results. Whether I will eventually try to query multiple data sources I cannot say at the moment, though, sorry.

9. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Played a little bit with Songtext Lyrics and TuneWiki (free)

Songtext Lyrics:
    :) finds many titles!
    :) Good UI (Verry Apple like)
    :( No scrolling
    :( Enough customizations (Font size)

TuneWiki
    :) free
    :) scrolls with song
    :( doesn't find much (at least in my library)
    :( Add supported
    :) Twitter, Facebook, TuneWiki integration
    :) Video Search (YouTube, searches current song)
    :) Radio Stations (Shoutcast)
    :| Skins (B/w and pink)
    :| Autotranslation of lyrics (haven't tried that, as I hate autotranslated text)

Overall I still prefer StL! Mostly because of the UI.
    But I would love to see the Twitter integration, YouTube search (should be easy) and most of all the scrolling and multiple sources.

10. elo

elo Member

Mar 10, 2009
    That is great feedback, thanks a lot Crypton.

11. Crypton

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    #1 paid app in Germany!

Number 1 paid app in Germany!
    Gratz elo!

12. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Very important questions: what songs does it cover? What server does it use to download lyrics? Is it more complete than the Shazam database?
    I'm really really interested in getting this as I love karaoke-style lyrics while listening to music. However I do not listen to English music, so if this app only concerns English artists then it's of no use to me.

13. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    If it's based on Lyricwiki, I dunno. They have a large database on western music, but just searching up a few Korean songs got me blanks.
    I suppose the best way would be to add the lyrics to the wiki, but I'm lazy.

14. elo

elo Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Yes, Songtext uses LyricWiki. Please check there if your songs are available.

15. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

#15 Aurora, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
    Nice it has most of the songs I use, mainly by popular mainstream artists in Asia. Some artists are absent but it's ok, only $0.99 because I missed the promo codes by a mile. Are the lyrics synced with the music like the TQPlayer, meaning that the lyrics are more than a simple text file? Or do they just scroll in a fixed speed regardless of the music? Also May I ask how it searches for the lyrics? It needs to connect to the internet the first time and the lyrics will be downloaded from that point? And how does it search? Do I need to re-organize all the song names, artist names and album names in my iPod library?

16. elo

elo Member

Mar 10, 2009
    It won't download the lyrics for all songs in one go at the moment, only for the song you are currently listening to. It uses the title and artist fields to search for the lyrics so those need to be formatted correctly. E.g. it will find "Thriller" by "Michael Jackson" but not by "M. Jackson" or "Jackson, Michael".

The lyrics don't scroll at all, you have to do that manually. It's not a karaoke app.

17. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Can't believe I missed this :eek: