Announcing "Mummy's Revenge" Amazing 3D Graphics

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jbmoney13, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    One thing I don´t like in this game and in Zombieville is the pause icon, IMO will be better to have an area of the screen for pause or a double tap in the center to pause but not with an icon. Is not really a problem but I don´t like it.
    The game looks awesome with that graphics and all the ideas. I can´t wait to see the video when you post it

2. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Good graphics!

Just one question:---- IF you die in a level do you have to start from level one or continue from the same level again? That's one thing i hated about zombieville. Also how many levels??

3. Hi Beetle,

I know that many people hate having to restart, but lets be honest, that is part of the challenge. The problem I had with Zombieville was changing weapons, I can't tell you how many times i died because i kept trying to change weapons but i was just not fast enough. :( In Mummy's Revenge we fix that issue with our weapon selection system.

Currently we have set the levels to 30. If anyone in the forum thinks we need more tell me how many you expect. Update 1.5 can really go up to any number. We will also be increasing the difficulty in the 1.5 update. :cool:

By the way Beetle, we will be releasing cheat codes so that players can unlock all the weapons with unlimited ammo that should help. You know old school codes like (UP DOWN UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT etc...) :D

4. superKman

superKman Member

May 4, 2009
    Looks great. I'm definetely getting it on day 1.

This probably isn't the right forum for this butim just wondering if anyone else has played the game thing thing. I love it and I was just thinking how cool it would be for iPhone.

5. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    #65 beetle004, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    I died many times doing the same.If you have really managed to fix that,great!

Awesome:) Eagerly waiting for this game now:)

6. Just wanted to let everyone know, I did not forget to post the video, I am just waiting to get my Camera back. I'm picking it up tonight and will film some gameplay and post right away. :D

7. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I just wanted to post here and say that I personally don't take any offense to what JB's doing here, or Kris's Sparta game for that matter. You can certainly draw some comparisons between my game and both of these, but its not like I invented walking sideways and killing endless bad guys. At least its not called Mummyville: Egypt :p

I would say that making games that are in the same vein as another popular title can work out great, especially if you really take it in a different direction. I think the biggest risk you run when doing this is though is not being different enough from your inspiration, and getting negative feedback as a result. You don't want to look like a knockoff, but you can certainly be percieved that way if you don't distance yourself from your competition in some way.

I've actually gotten some interesting ideas for modifying Zombieville from what I've seen other developers do with the formula, so like Kris says, competition is welcome.

8. #68 jbmoney13, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    Wow, never would i have imagined that both the creators of Sparta :D and Zombieville :D would comment on my thread and my game for that matter.

First off, I just want to say, Mika Mobile is responsible for my phone losing its battery life before noon on many occassions. :)

I want to officially say thank you for the inspiration and I hope you enjoy my game as much as I enjoyed yours.

9. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Lol.

I was tempted to call my game "Spartaville Greece", but decided it sounded faintly similar to another title in the AppStore.

Great job on your game, jb. I noticed another relatively large review site has picked up on your story.

Not to take attention from this thread, but to MikaMobile, I am sure many of us are interested in you starting a thread about your newest game or at least about what you are planning to bring in your Zombieville update. (I recall reading you planned at update when your new game was launched.)

10. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Hehe, trust me I can't wait to announce my next game, but its still too early to show. I want to make sure I'm pretty close to submission before I try to generate any hype, but you can be sure I'll be announcing it here on these forums when the time is right.

11. Thanks Kris, do you mind if I ask which site picked up on the story? I think I should know the answer to that, but I don't.

12. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

I don't know what the big deal with "OMG YOUR COPYING ZOMBIEVILLE" is! Zombieville, first off, isn't that good of a game. The lazy bastards put 1 UPDATE! And the people making this game seem to want to keep adding more and taking the time to read the customers opinions. Kudos bro. Zombieville is too old anyway and I don't even remember the last time I touched it. The side-scroller needs something new (lol, not Sparta) and this could be it. Give it a go! I'm one of your first customers :)

13. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that too!!!! Thing Thing arena would be amazing on the touch!

14. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    It came out 3 1/2 months ago and has had 2 updates. Are you a lazy bastard? What games have you released?

http://appshopper.com/games/zombieville-usa
    Apr 20 Version 1.2
    Mar 11 Version 1.1
    Feb 15 Version 1.0

15. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    omfg I suddenly regret zombieville.

16. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I don't regret Zombieville. I got it for 99 cents and definitely enjoyed it for a bit. I'm just glad other people are taking that concept and improving upon it. I love how Mummy's Revenge looks. Although every time I see the mummy graphic, I think of Mum-Ra from Thundercats, lol. I saw shot gun in one of the screenshots....what are the chances of a flamethrower? Some Indiana Jones melee action like a whip would be cool too.

17. Funny you mention that, update 1.5 will feature 4 new weapons, including a MELEE weapon. Flamethrower is definitely on the list. I personally wanted a flamethrower in the first version but sometimes you have to sacrifice for the sake of time.

VIDEO coming up in new thread, I am uploading NOW. :D :cool:

My first time making a vid, I wish the video quality was better, but after watching it, I think it will give everyone the right impression. Everyone will love how smooth it plays. I guarantee it... :D

18. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Then if Mika Mobile is ok with it, I insist on wishing you the best success, JBmoney13 ^^

On a sidenote, Kris, you and Mika should team up to deliver a 3 times more awesome game :p

19. Thanks c0re, I appreciate that. I am posting a new thread right now, I'd love for everyone to see the gameplay videos. It's my first time making a vid for an iPhone and iPod game and getting the lighting was a bit strange. But I think it should do the trick. Wish me luck.:D

20. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah I see what you mean by lighting. Actually the best demo video I saw concerning lighting was the one for Motocross 2XL Supercross.

Ideally, you should turn off the iphone dynamic lighting, and choose a complementary color for the background (and of course a totally unified color, trying to avoid objects like table, glass, etc).

For example, if your game's dominant color is blue, you could try an (red + yellow = ) orange background. Green for red dominance, Purple for yellow.
    Complementary colors boost the other color without weird flashy feelings like with a glowing red or an electric blue. That make your screen jump from background, forcing a focus on it.

Try to avoid handshaking, too :)

Overall, a good trick is to put the iphone on a table covered by a colored paper, and put a direct, intense spotlight above all, so the background color is clearly visible, and no physical shadows interfere with the environment.

The alternative is to put everything to no lights at all, so only the iphone screen is visible, but I found the intense contrast of the phone makes the pixels blurry. Plus it can enchance the video capture desynchronization with the iPhone refresh rate.

Well, good luck.