iPad Annihilation Arena

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by f e a r l e s s, May 26, 2009.

1. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #1 f e a r l e s s, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009

[size=+1]Annihilation Arena[/size]

[app=Annihilation Arena]iTunes Link - $1.99[/app]

Awesome screenshots @ Developer's Website

[​IMG]

[hqyoutube]HJvRZcvNVHg[/hqyoutube]

Adrenaline Pumping Action Blast-Fest!

Enemies seeking your destruction are constantly swarming into the Arena! You must out maneuver and out shoot them to survive, whilst constantly exploring the area for valuable items and weapons to aid you in battle!

Features:
    - Three different Arenas set in varied environments including Ancient Egypt, A Planet of Ice and a Volcanic world
    - Eight different weapons including a Flamethrower, Pulse Bomb, Railgun and Laser Minigun
    - Special Power-Up items to enhance speed, damage and armor
    - Beautifully rendered graphics and optimized OpenGL animation designed specially for the iPhone.
    - Action inspiring background music tracks produced by Kulture of Dubstep fame
    - Immersive sound effects
    - Varied difficulty system for beginners and regular gamers
    - Save state functionality ensures you can quit at any time and come straight back to the action where you left off

Controls:
    -Control ship movement using the green control pad. Use the red control pad for aiming and firing.
    -Change weapon using the arrows either side of your ammo and weapon HUD icon
    -Tap the Power-Up icons that appear on the side of the screen to use special items.

iTunes Application Description from AppShopper.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    SO whats the point of this game? There seems to be so much hype as to what you can do, but thats it. Are there goals? online scoring? Anything? or is it all about shooting stuff over and over. I would think that would get boring.

3. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, while no so concerned about online scoring, is there at least some sort of scoring and a system that tracks your best local score for each stage?

4. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    If you press play on the youtube video and actually wait 4 seconds, you will find a menu with a highscores option.

5. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, DOH, I just caught that a few seconds after posting, sorry.

But, okay then, do each of these stages go on endlessly or can they be "completed"? I'm hoping endless myself.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    endless would be awesome, in fact, this looks a lot like powerup forever for the ps3, i would love to see a game like that on the iPhone.

7. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Another question for you, f e a r l e s s, are the power ups randomly placed (like maybe from a dead baddy's debris) or in pre-scripted spawning points?

8. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    So... by that you want me to TOFTT? I haven't got a chance to buy it yet... :D Just saw video, website and screenshots. Thought I'd post since no one else bothered. Game looks cool. I'll buy it later today.

9. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Doh again, I figured, while not the author, you were at least already a player of said game. :eek:

10. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Based off screenshots it reminds me or that paradise game. In that game all you did was shoot and shoot. It got boring fast. This game looks good, but I hope there's more to it.

11. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    Ok, got to purchase the game finally.

I have to say this is a pretty good game. Sound effects and music are nice. Controls are great! Lots of enemy fire everywhere. Only played the first arena on normal mode. Not bad for a couple bucks.

Here's what it looks like when you lose.

[​IMG]

I have also added some more screenshots to the first post that may answer some questions. In case you've missed it.

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Screen looks kinda cluttered. Is the gameplay fluid with all the extraneous junk floating around?

13. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    Plays pretty damn well. I don't see any fps loss even when the whole screen is cluttered. I'm also playing on the original iPhone, sound on and fresh restart.

14. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    I got this game and it STINKS!!!
    The worst iDracula clone ever to be made. You dont even have a weapon! Just one laser.
    The controls are really bad. Just get iDracula

15. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    :confused:

16. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay so this review comes from somebody who played it for, oh, I don't know, 3 seconds?

17. JDTec2

JDTec2 Member

May 28, 2009
    Game Creator

Hello everyone I'm the developer of Annihilation Arena

I'm a bit new to this app thing and this is my first game out so I haven't actually got on to publicizing it much yet but I just googled the title and came up here!

First of all to the guy who said there's only one weapon, like many shooting games (including the one you mentioned, I think) you start of with just one weapon but can collect more. I would suggest playing it a bit more and giving it a chance before you dismiss it completely.

For people asking what the objective of the game is, its indeed fairly simple! You just blast things for a highscore and rank. There are eight possible ranks you can earn - the best being 'Annihilator' worst 'cannon fodder'. The highscore is only saved locally at the moment. I am going to be adding global highscores later in an update, it was nearly there but slightly buggy before release so I left it out.

I'm going to post some additional info on the gameplay that was asked by someone else:

Hey JDTec,

The game looks fun but I have a few basic questions:

1) Are items and baddies randomly spawned or are the levels completely pre-scripted?
    2) Can the levels be “beat” or are they truly endless waves?

Thanks in Advance,

The items and baddies are scripted depending on difficulty and the arena you are in but the locations they appear at are randomized, i.e. if you keep playing it, you will eventually know what will appear but you won't know where it will be each time - you have to find it! I thought this would provide the best balance of keeping it replay-able yet not making getting a high-score dependent on luck.

Having said that, occasionally some items appear at the same location but this is rare. Like before a boss I don't want a player without any good weapons to fight with.

The levels can be cleared, there's a boss at the end of each one. I recommend starting off on the Egyptian level and progressing through as this is the easiest one to begin with.

Once you clear all three levels you go back to Egypt BUT the difficulty is increased... After completing all three Arena's in one game (without been destroyed) on hard, you go into a sort of extra hard mode where your health is lower and even more enemies appear.

So, the game doesn't finish (until you die of course), but the levels do. The game lets you keep playing for a highscore but... after a while it will get v-hard to stay alive.

--- any more questions about the game and let me know I will try my best to answer them.

18. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Hi. Is it possible to listen to your own music plus the game's sound effects?

Thanks, Michael

19. LordGek

LordGek Moderator

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm loving the game as much as I suck at it so far and REALLY like the extra added touch of medals when submitting your score!

How many WAVES are there to each area? I have yet to face the Boss of Egypt and am curious how many waves I'm expected to survive before I see him.

20. JDTec2

JDTec2 Member

May 28, 2009
    That isn't possible at the moment, however, it may be possible to work into an update... watch this space.