Universal Animation Throwdown: The Quest for Cards (by Kongregate)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Which game is better? This, or little alchemist? They are both by kongregate and are basically the same game except different aesthetics.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I guess it depends on your sense of humor. If a fan of the various FOX cartoons and think the inclusion of cards like "Animal Anuses" and "Crack" (as in the drug, not looking at a plumber's buttox) is funny, go with Animation Throwdown.

3. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I agree. And it makes me sad. Why can't they learn from Hearthstone? Make a great game with a fair IAP price and let the cash roll in.

I'll answer my own question. It's because making a great game is hard, and with giant IPs like Family Guy they don't need to make a great game or be fair about pricing.

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #24 LordGek, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    So are others having weird inventory issues? I had 75 cards in my inventory and was then told my box was full when I tried to buy a new pack. The game even suggested I recycle some cards to make room. I then recycled 4 cards, got my total card count to 71, but I'm still not allowed to buy new cards. :mad:

UPDATE:
    Okay, I figured it out. The inventory limit is 70 BUT the game is too polite to deny you free cards earned from the completing adventure missions or cards earned by completing quests. So unless you get your collection under 70, you're no longer allowed to buy more boosters.

5. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    I'm sure. But that's just Freemium Power Creep when you get right down to it. "I was winning all the time, but now my Adventure opponents have upgraded too much and I lose in the arena. I must buy a random Epic+ Card only to discover nothing combos with it!" :)

From the sense of game design, though, I just cringe at the idea that human is always Player One and with equivalent decks, Player One always has an advantage. There should be something to offset Player Two's disadvantage - a higher life meter or something. Otherwise, if this could be played in real life, the 'coin flip' of who goes first sets the pace of the whole match.

6. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    But as tough as the opponents get, it really helps and is pretty necessary to progression later on. I think of this game as being a gambler in Vegas, and early on they're going to let u win because they want the whale, not the guppy (as in they'd rather have 1 person spend $100 than 4 people spend $20). This game is stacked for the house. At some point, it will be major grinding or forking up money to progress.

7. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    True enough. I'm enjoying it so far because you can get a decent ways in before you hit the 'paywall.'

At this point I'm stuck in the "timewall" instead - I've obtained several copies of 'Olde Fortran Malt Liquor' and 'Teddy's Brewski,' and most of my characters seem to be okay with comboing with alcohol, doing progressively more damage on each turn. So I have to train all those combos.

Not sure if that's a particularly positive idea to be endorsing, but hey, whatever works. ;)

8. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol yeah that's the nature of the beast. I'm also stuck on the time wall. I got lucky and ended up with a legendary peter griffin but his combo research (or any legendary for that matter) is 6 hrs....! And the several rares I have all take 2 hrs. Oh well, I'm also enjoying this one...seeing what the combos create is pretty awesome (for instance legendary peter griffin with drugs = tweaker peter and he's hilarious to look at but an awesome card to play).

9. The Infamous E

The Infamous E Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2014
    I was hyped for this game, hit a timer, and promptly deleted it. I know some people may be ok with it, but show me a timer and I delete your game. Hearthstone has it right for never limiting how often you can play, but it is good enough for you to want to spend money on it instead of trying to force you to...

10. urban083

urban083 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Timers for matches in the arena are an hour and a half. They're really catering to the whales with this.

11. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Well, it's not like the opposite would be any better. A stamina system either favors the refreshers or favors the people who treat the game as a "second job," waking up in the middle of the night to not waste stamina.

We'll never see a "fair" game like this because there's no profit in it.

A fair game would give all players a fixed amount of 'resource' every day. That resource would be used for everything, and when you're out, there's absolutely no way to play until the following day. Want to upgrade your cards? You'll get less chances to fight that day. The 'story' mode would also have several branching paths with fixed rewards, so you'd have to pick your path and couldn't gain unfair strength through gacha draws. The only way to get ahead of the joneses would be to win arena battles and maintain a high rank.

Then it's all strategy and playing style. Do you risk arena fights early on with a weak deck, knowing that each failed battle is a complete waste of resources? Or do you spend your first several days JUST boosting starter cards, knowing you'll be unbeatable early on but your deck will eventually be obsolete?

12. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Unfortunately, this style of play is particularly common to Kongregate games-I've played many of them. They suck you in with good production values, art style, and game play, but are stingier than most when it comes to helping the player-less loot drops, more timers, longer wait times. If you can get past that and play their games in between other games, then it works, but eventually you will hit a difficulty wall that requires the spending of real money to get anywhere. It's too bad, because I like their games, but not their tactics.

13. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    1 star for gameplay
    3 stars for presentation
    I'm disappointed

14. fancysnake

fancysnake Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Played for a while, this game seems to be so easy.

15. PuckSchnauRules

PuckSchnauRules New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    I had high hopes for this game, I'm a big fan of Seth Mc Farland, but I guess they should stick to TV...it was entertaining, but I pass.:confused:

16. raddie

raddie New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    The game released. This game is so fun. I'm a fan of the Fox Films, I didn't expect such a game would ever come out. Haha
    Look at the chart showing daily ratings of the game after being released........It soars amazingly
    [​IMG]
    source: http://choilieng.com/apk-on-pc/com.kongregate.mobile.throwdown.google.apk

I intended to play this game on my PC because my eyes are not very well to spend times playing on my phone/ipad, any one tried it?

17. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    If you mean on PC, no. On iPhone 6s it runs great and looks fine. Haven't tried it on iPad. But reading through the thread, you'll see some can take the production values and work with the timers, whereas others cannot stand them. I'm in the middle ground somewhere. I like the game but at some point the grind will lead me to another game. But for the price of free, it's worth checking out for at least the first few days of play. I've definitely had some laughs along the way.

18. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I think there's an inherent design flaw in this game - you need to upgrade and then fuse your cards to make them stronger, but by doing so, you're reducing the number of that card to make matches. Since there's no way to buy specific cards, you then either have to wait on fusing until you get enough of that card to fill the void or risk the reduced chance of matching. You can of course research more matches (at the slow pace that takes), but there's a limit there since you can't match every card with every other card.

After so much upgrading and fusing, my deck is now all over the place with too few duplicates and matches. Arena battles aren't too hard, but campaign battles are getting much more difficult.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm willing to bet that fusing, much like many of the other Freemium features, are all too intentional as further means to get you to buy premium packs of rarer cards to restock vital fused ones.

20. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Perhaps but the packs are random, and it's not just the premium cards that get fused. In fact, it's the basic cards I've fused much more often. I'd be happy enough just to get more of those. The other problem though is not enough power used for upgrading. Of course you can buy that though. I'd bet that's where they're making the most money.