Universal Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 25, 2017.

1. cenn

cenn Active Member

Aug 14, 2015
    reached level 20, and I had played the soft launch as well.

can confirm that this is a pretty soulless version of animal crossing.
    after you get used to it, you don't care what the animals have to say, or who they are. they're just stepping stones to level up.

and nothing happens at level 20, nothing. no new car or campsites, or new functions. nothing.

consider that the soft launch was a month ago, you can't say they didn't have enough time to do anything.
    like fire emblem, and mario, nintendo mobile games are just normal mobile games with nintendo skins.

2. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Guys I just downloaded this game... I don't understand the objectives of the game? What am I supposed to do visit those animals do some tasks and then? What's the end game objective?

3. Kaemalux

Kaemalux Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    GP Doctor
    I was there from the first soft launch day. I am level 52 at the moment, all the progress was made without purchasing IAP.
    The game is repetitive, younare right, but i personally have some goals: reaching 20 friendship with each of 40 animals.
    You can try also to collect all furniture and clothes, or expand at maximum your camper.
    At the moment however, the gameplay is still very poor, even if is a good time sink and i can enjoy it.
    Nonetheless, i have still many hopes for the future for three reasons:
    - datamined info reveal already planned updates
    - it is Nintendo
    - AC has a great potential as IP.
    So, i am quite positive about this.
    Besides that, i must say you can enjoy the game without spending money, i didnt notice a single limitation for free users.

Have a nice day!

Ps : if you want my number is 5642 9910 481 , i am quite active and i can send every day help for Quarry

4. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    There isn't one. Just tap things to make numbers go up, and swap out your green sofa for the blue sofa you unlocked if you like blue more.

I wish I was kidding, that's the entire game.

5. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Man seriously? Why did Eli give it a 5 star rating.,, this is like hayday

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yup. That’s pretty much it. It’s a simulator of sorts. I could pretty much sum up almost all FPS games with similar short, bland descriptions. I just don’t appreciate shooting people as much as I appreciate leveling up, making friends, and collecting things. So, where I would give Destiny 2 one or two stars, I would give Animal Crossing five stars. Different things for different people, I guess.

7. taoyingying

taoyingying Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Hayday is a great game. Played 4+ years, spent less than $30, still playing (and enjoying). So if you say Pocket Camp is like Hayday, then in my book it's a compliment and certainly deserve a 4.5 rating :)

8. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    For those hoping for an endgame, there isn't one, that's a hallmark of the Animal Crossing series. In the console games you eventually get to the point where you run out of things to collect, but there is always upkeep and events. The console versions also features much deeper customization, since you could create your own textures and generate QR codes to share them. I would love that added to the mobile version, but I'm aware of the Pandora's box that would open. Hopefully some day I can recreate my Shining room from the 3DS game:

ACNL-Shining Room01.jpg

The game in its current state is the definition of a "minimally viable product." It lacks anything to keep players in for the long haul, the same mistake made by Miitopia. I admit I also miss the seamless world. While the silo'ed areas make it easier to add content, it underlines just how trivial each interaction is. There are no town events or holidays, I was really hoping for the Halloween event during the soft launch. The Museum mechanic is also absent, which was a huge reason to say engaged. As a result almost all of the collectibles are missing (where's my coelacanth?!?). Time of day doesn't seem to have any effect on what spawns, another missing feature.

I'll boot it back up when and if they flesh out the experince, because on a macro level, they got the basics right. It feels like an AC game, at least.

9. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
  10. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Got an interesting situation. I need to create a lovely table but I can't create the basic table to upgrade it to lovely. Have tried most of the tables and each one doesn't work for upgrade. Nor do I see the basic type picture in my list of tables. Bug??

11. Kaemalux

Kaemalux Active Member

Jul 13, 2012
    GP Doctor
    I think the problem is your level. If i am right you will unlock the basic table for lovely one later, as for 10-leaf quests 4-type items: you will be able to craft sleek - kid things only after a bit.
    I you need further help don't hesitate to ask, and my friend number is some posts above.
    Cheers

12. saveria201

saveria201 Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 7, 2017
    teacher/translator
    Japan
    im finding this game hard to get into. I can't quite let go of it and delete, being an avid AC player for years, but this mobile version is the first entry in the series ive played that just bores me. Maybe my expectations were too high..

Specifically I believe it's the lack of a seamless world to meander through and the gameplay loop of leveling up relationships with the animals isn't hooking me so far. Not going to delete yet...hoping the seasonal change to winter might introduce some new elements I might enjoy?

13. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Well I am level 25 and would have thought the basic table would been unlocked by now.

14. Soulblitz

Soulblitz Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2010
    No notifications?

I don't know if this is a common issue but after much Googling I can't much about it.

I don't get any notifications for the game at all? I have notifications turned on, have updated the game to the most recent versions, have the most up to date version of iOS, and nothing. Tried turning notifications on and off again, and since playing the game for the first time I have never once got one.

A better questions would be does it actually have notifications??

15. Eichhof

Eichhof New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Dubai
    Add me
    0603 8518 008

16. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    I haven't gotten any notifications if that helps.

This game is getting beat up but I'm not sure why. I get that it's "less" than a full game. But it's free. Just like a couple of sites were whining about the Christmas farming. Yet, I had all but 3 items on day 1. Day 2 I've only got the snowman and the fireplace left (the two highest candy cane). I'm farming on average 80 candy a day so I should have those in under a week. So if ANYTHING maybe it's too generous?

17. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Really enjoying this. Loved animal crossing on the game cube and DS and this is pretty much what I was expecting. A free to play stripped down version to lure you into buying the latest full game.
    It’s kind of like a demo or advert because the normal AC games have so much more to them but it’s free so can’t complain.

18. SashJ

SashJ Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Yea, I don't think the game is getting beat up over its pay2play style. The fact that it is free has nothing to do with why its getting these negative opinions. I think it has to do with the gameplay, or the lack thereof. There is very little you can do in the game it terms of gameplay features. Its also very repetitive, like, way too overly repetitive. The combination makes for a game that is less than inspiring and leaves you disappointed. The games biggest flaw though, is that it does not feel like an Animal Crossing game. They took all the best qualities f the series and stripped them so far down that it feels almost alien.

19. Porsupah

Porsupah Well-Known Member

The last update (1.1.0) did introduce the garden, which is a neat addition - but it also futzed around with the campers. Before, they'd all want to chat with you after maybe 40 minutes, and every 3 hours, three campers would have requests. Now, only 3-4 will want to chat, with a longer interval.

The catch, for me, is gathering essence - which you're only given either when they level up, or in response to chatting (not requests). And all but one of my Natural campers is already maxed out at 15, so the chats are the only option.

Ultimately, it doesn't make a lot of difference - eventually, I'll reach 30 Natural essence, and be able to craft the Tree House, but it's a touch frustrating to have that already slow advancement impeded deliberately by an update. (True, there's the Leaf Ticket alternative - but if you need to make up more than 10 essence that way, it's a 23:1 exchange rate (<=10, and it's 20:1), which is roughly $1 per essence, which just isn't a good deal.

Ah well. I'm still enjoying it, and that grump aside, I'm pleased with how unnecessary it is to put any money into it (though I did, simply as a fair exchange for a good game) - the leveling up, stretch goals, and timed challenges all keep the leaf tickets coming in steadily.

It'd be nice to hope for landscape orientation support sometime - I find that rather more comfortable, with the iPad Air in one hand. (Even "upside-down" portrait would be welcome, so I can leave it charging when propped up) Early days yet, and it's very welcome indeed to see they're continuing to add to AC:pC - much as I enjoyed AC:WW, I could never quite escape the fact that it was a completely static release, never to change or be updated in any way.

20. taoyingying

taoyingying Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2016
    #120 taoyingying, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Actually I love the camper change a lot. True, you now talk to fewer campers, 3-4 each time vs. all 8 as before, but each one gives you much more reward than before. Before the change, I get only 2 hearts talking to a camper (1 heart if he gifts me). Now it's 6 heart (or 3 if he gifts). The gift amount is increased a lot too, from 100/500 bells to 500/2500 bells each gift. It is also EASIER to get essence! Yesterday, ALL the campers that gifted me materials also gifted me some essence! I got 5-8 sport/natual/cute essence EACH yesterday alone. Before the change, I might get 1-2 essence total from about every 10 gifts. So in brief, less time talking to your campers with bigger reward = less grinding. What's not to love :D

PS: I actually don't care about gardening much... The reward exchange are not that great for now, and time for planting/harvesting is too long. I wish there is a plant-all/harvest-all button :(