Universal Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Cactuario

Cactuario Active Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I don't think you actually keep the gold / silver / ruby / sapphire ores. They seem to just represent the level of reward you get after giving them to the Gyroid at the end (how many Bells) - gold and silver nuggets are worth more than rubies and sapphires, I believe.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Damn it this game is going to monopolize every waking frickin second.

3. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Back to error codes. They just cant handle peak times it seems.

4. Zeekops

Zeekops Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Question here, when an animal moves into your camp, can you take away the furniture they wanted or will they leave if you re decorate? Thanks!

5. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Add me or whatever

6. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Yep. Pretty sad and this got release before a holiday with probably no one manning / looking at the servers.
    Been getting error codes all day and still couldn't login for day 2. Been like this for 24 hours now. Even at a late hour now for USA players..

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Well, looked for a code sharing thread and didn’t find one. So, please feel free to add me!!!

8. Steverd

Steverd Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    How many Items Slots are you up to now?
    I have 175, spending all my tickets on slots.

9. taoyingying

taoyingying Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2016
    They will not leave if you take away the furniture. It's only one-time requirement on the moment they join :)
    Actually, you can choose that "Auto place required furniture" option (forgot the exact wording), and then there will be an option whether you want to put away the items they auto placed for you.

10. taoyingying

Jul 15, 2016
    Could anyone tell me what the two premium animals do? I purchased the Chair for Tom Nook, and he just sits there all day! No walk around, don't have any level, and certainly don't give any gifts. So pretty much like a stuffed toy. Did I miss anything? I kinda regret my purchase now :/

11. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    They kind of do nothing... not sure about Nook, but I love KK Slider, so I got him for my camp. He sits there and plays music, which is kinda neat though. I'm planning on putting a band set around him. I was hoping KK might give some quests or something, however.

12. taoyingying

Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Well, it's a huge disappointment for me, considering how expensive these premium animals are (about $14 CAD + tax for each, if you buy the regular leaf bundle). Of course it would be nice to have some quests from my Tim Nook, but at least he should be able to walk around, not glued to his chair! He is like a super expensive decor. I certainly wouldn't want to buy KK now :(

13. JakConstantine

JakConstantine Active Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Male
    I like the game personally. They do give you a good amount of leaf tickets also which is helpful. My ID if you want to add me. 585 639 89568.

14. Steverd

Nov 13, 2008
    I am now level 10, but really feeling this game is so so so so so REPETITIVE.
    I just go from Sunburst Island to Saltwater Shores to Breezy Hollow
    to Lost Lure Creek, collecting and giving items to other animals.

So not counting the Market and OK Motors, there are only Four areas of play,
    ANNNNND craft items

Does anyone know if there will be many more areas added? I'm hoping.
    Yet, I'm still playing..

Add me 7964 4134 377

15. SashJ

SashJ Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2015
    That shovelstrike quarry is so useless. You can only do it once during the entire day, and the rewards arnt really that great. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t have just made it reopen every three hours for free as well.

16. yeah yeah

yeah yeah Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Game just came out...

17. Steverd

Nov 13, 2008
    TRUE BUT, Nintendo a BIG company, maybe this was rushed to get out before
    Thanksgiving. BUT look at Super Mario Run, It felt very complete when it first
    came out, it had what, ten levels?

18. SashJ

SashJ Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Lol this game was definitely not rushed. It was delayed multiple times so that they could work on it and make it better. The problem is that this is not supposed to be a full game, but honestly, it should be. They would make more money on this mobile game then if it released on consoles. At least on mobile they can add lots of free updates, and it will generate continuous cash flow.

19. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm going to go ahead and say it, but this game is not very good. As a veteran of Wild World on the DS, and New Leaf on 3DS, this feels so incredibly small and limited. Of course it would be, as a FTP game compared to a $30 full game, but this is like 5% of an Animal Crossing experience at best.

I mean it's still cute as hell, but the entire experience has been reduced to your animal buddies acting as friendship vending machines. The gameplay loop is to just visit the four gathering locations to fill up on friendship tokens, then put those into the friendship vending machines which spit out bells, crafting recipes, and friendship XP. All the charm and genuine interactions from the Animal Crossing games reduced to one overarching fetch quest.

There's not enough decorable space, or variety of items, to make visiting other camps worthwhile. Everyone is going to have one of the four big tent styles, and one of the four level one or level two attractions, and in front of them a small space which will be stuffed with as many of the crafted items as a player can fit in.

Even the nature of interacting with things feels cynical, stripped of charm. I'm only talking to the animals to be given things, or to insert my friendship tokens as I grind towards their level 10 exclusive craft recipe. We never talk about anything else, they never mention the other critters and how they're feeling, there's no chance of bumping into them around town as they run errands. Nope, they just stand around the camp all day waiting for their fetch quest timers to reset so more friendship tokens can be inserted.

Also the fact that everything is transitions. Instead of turning to look at you to talk, it's a screen wipe as you both teleport to a clear space to chat. Then cut to a friendship level up screen. Then cut back to original position. Then tap again to teleport out for another chat to insert friendship tokens. Then cut to a ”hey we're eating fruit together” scene at AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LOCATION. Then cut to a player level up screen. Then cut back to... look, you get the idea.

I hit level 10 and I'm crafting my big tent. I bought Tom Nook and he does NOTHING, just sits in his chair and only teleports out to talk about how nice his chair is. I'm two thirds of the way to affording KK Slider, who I expect will do nothing much as well. I don't think I'll play this much longer as there's literally NOTHING to look forward to other than an ever larger selection of things to decorate my very small campsite with. There's no museum to fill over time with my finds, no gardening, no exploring, no friendships to build (real affection built over daily interactions, not robotic friendship vending machines), no expanding of the facilities of the town.

Don't get me started on how the market boxes are an utter waste of time as why would I ever start poking through my friend list hoping to find a specific fish for sale at a ridiculous price instead of just catching that fish/bug? Listing on the market box is a waste for that same reason in reverse, I just hit the sell button for the instant minimum cash amount because that's better than the 99% wastage I'll get trying to sell to random visitors.

It's cute on the surface, and it looks like Animal Crossing. But ultimately this is such a stripped down and soulless version that the more I play the more I just ache for a real Animal Crossing for the Switch. I gave my 3DS, which I bought just to play New Leaf, to a friend. Every couple of years I start jonesing for some chill daily time hanging out in one of these games, and I hoped Pocket Camp would be enough. Friends, it is not.

20. SashJ

SashJ Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2015
    #100 SashJ, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Based on your review, I would say you had way more hopes for this game then you should have. Nintendo said multiple times that this was going to be a full game, and that seems to be what you were expecting. I do think this game needs a lot of work, but it only just got released a few days ago. Give them some time to add new features. We already know there will be seasonal event, holiday events, new items, new characters and new locations to explore.

The issue I have with the game is that, like you said in so many words, this game is a very very poor representation of what a full animal crossing game is like. The fact that Nintendo didn't have a plan to release a new full game along side this app is a completely amateur move for a company that is so well known and has so much experience in gaming. Now people will be left with a bad taste in their mouths, and probably wont even bother to try playing the actual full game when it is released on the Switch.

My other problem with the app is that it feels so lifeless, and so disconnected. I remember being able to visit other people lands and explore with them, and socialize with them. In this game, you cant event interact with your friends. All you can do is buy from them, sell to them, or give them kudos. It lacks any kind of feature that adds a connection to your friends and the world, and that was one of the things I loved about the original games.