Universal Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (by Nintendo Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I just do not get the hype .. This looks and plays like a kid’s game ? My youngest daughter thinks it’s great but what’s the appeal for adults ?

2. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    I wondered the same thing.

Now that I've played a bit I totally ... still don't get it. On the contrary, it feels like "playing" one of those silly tv shows for 4 to 6 year olds. To each his own I guess ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Nintardo

More mobile gruel with the insidious “If you only play a few minutes a day you’ll enjoy it” qualifier. “ADHD is the future, man!”

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    How dare people enjoy a game in a way that is unappealing to you.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Man what happened to these forums?

6. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    I've been able to get one chair so far ithout spending. Should have enough for the other chair in a couple days, if not sooner.

Tip: After you connect your Nintendo ID, go to the "More" menu and tap "My Nintendo" (bottom left button). You can earn Nintendo points via weekly Missions. You can turn them in, including points you've earned from ANY Nintendo game, for leaf tickets, crafting materials, bells, and even an OK Motors hat and shirt.

7. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Animal Crossing belongs in the same genre as Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley, the Sims, and is even tangentially related to games like Terraria and Minecraft (obviously with far less crafting). It's relaxing and built around personal expression (although the mobile version has less than I'd like at present). If that's not your cup of tea, then nothing I say will change your mind. Nothing wrong with that. Are you one of those folks who thinks all Nintendo games are for kids because they're not grim and desaturated? :)

As an aside, I'm an adult in my mid-40s. My wife and many of my friend's circle have maintained villages in the 3DS version of AC for five years now and have played every console version prior. Now, we're all nerds and most are from the game industry in one form or another, so your mileage may vary.

8. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    For anyone that wants to save their data from soft launch: what I did was delete the old app, go to Nintendo account and change region, download new app, link app to account in first launch.

I haven't gotten any login rewards yet (that might be intentional) but everything else is working.

I really wish they had added fossils or some other content for launch. I don't think there is enough to do and got bored with it after a few weeks.

9. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Yeh it’s clear you’ve pretty much seen everything the game has to offer once you make a pass around all the little areas. Each area is exceptionally small there’s no running around and exploring shaking trees for possible furniture or clothing like the first game (that’s the only one I played.) it’s fun but it feels lazy. It’s definitely something that would keep little kids entertained for a while but there’s not enough there for an adult and I know animal crossing is supposed to and is usually perfect for pretty much any age. This one, not so much. It looks like it, it feels like it, but it’s like when you take a document that has like 5 carbon copies and you didn’t quite push hard enough when you filled it out and that last copy is barely legible. Lol.

10. EZ Ice

EZ Ice Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Apps
    Tropical Island Pirate Hangout
    The series is fine, but not into the freemium bs for this game. Played enough on other systems. I'll pass.

11. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    I don't know about this one quite yet but I can tell you that my DS/3DS was handed around multiple shifts on deployment so we could catch/explore/excavate/grow every possible resource and after a 6 month deployment STILL didn't have everything. So yea.... hopefully that.

12. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think you are right , these sort of games are probably just not my cup of tea. I have nothing against Nintendo games , and I certainly do not think they all are for kids . I am 47 years old and have a job in IT and called a nerdy by a lot of people . I do not like Minecraft or any kind of crafting game and life sims are also games I do not like to play .. So in this case I my indeed have been blinded by the Cute Nintendo characters leading to the conclusion that it felt like a kids game , button reality I should just have accepted I do not like these kind of games. I did mean to offend people in anyway by calling it a kid's game

13. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    The game is unplayable right now. Their servers were not ready.

14. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I've noticed connectivity and communication issues all morning in the US. Hope they are actively working on this.

15. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Yea, today's been a bit spotty.

You guys also need to make sure to update the Quarry stuff. Lots of ya'll friended me but no one is doing the quarry requests.

16. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have fun scrolling through my Friends list looking for the orange "Quarry request" icon to tap!

I'm wondering if it's worth buying a 2nd crafting slot... crafted something today that's already up to 7 hours. So far all I bought with leaf tix was KK Slider. Because KK. :D Not sure if I should be saving the leaf tix and not expanding market/craft slots... or maybe getting that second crafting slot.

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The game is seeming a lot more stable now after the initial influx of players.

I was collecting error codes earlier (I got up to 13 unique codes - 802-0809 was a bit overused in my opinion, and 802-2516 was my favourite because of the double prime numbers) but I haven’t seen one for ages and the game is much more responsive to boot.

18. Steverd

Steverd Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    I had error codes all night even at 4am, but by 10am today it seems much much better.

Add me 7964 4134 377

19. Steverd

Steverd Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    What's the deal with Shovelstrike Quarry?
    It cost 20 Leaf Tickets, is anything there worth it for spending that much?

So far I have only spent Leaf Tickets on add more slots to my inventory.
    I have 150 slots now and might add more. How slots do you have now?

Add me 7964 4134 377

20. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    #80 tekchic, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    I wouldn't use leaf tickets for Shovelstrike Quarry. Add yourself to the "add me" thread for Animal Crossing, keep adding friends, and you can request help from them to get you into the Quarry, no need for leaf tix. You have to request 5 people's help, and they even get a kickback of bells if they "help", so it works well for everyone. I go through my list everytime I'm in AC:pC clicking the orange "help" icons.

Also, Shovelstrike Quarry so far for me has been silver or gold nuggets... you can "mine" 5 rocks every time you go in. I'm not sure (yet) what they're used for, but I assume it's going to be for higher level craft items.