Angry Birds - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dboeren, Oct 6, 2010.

1. LUFCLuke

LUFCLuke Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    UK
    Get enviro-bear! that should be at the top of the charts :)

2. shawntim

shawntim Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Male
    yes, you ARE clearly missing something. The demo only has the red bird that doesn't do anything. just catapult it into the structure to destroy it. the paid version unlocks different birds that has different skills, and when shot, you're suppose to trigger it's skill mid-air. some can split, some are better for glass, some can dive thru wood, and another causes explosions. later in the game you get a group of mixed birds with a more complex structure, so it's up to you to figure out how to clear it.

and there are alot of new levels added every now and then so it remains fresh, and the word of mouth continues to go around.

ok, i'm not out to make you love the app. since you're asking if you're missing something - then yes, i'm just pointing that out to you.

3. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    I luvz angry birdz bucuz it iz te mostest fun in de AppStore. It iz so additing. No matters what u says. I luvz it! It haz all great burdz and de haz diferent powerz.

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm also one of the few who could care less about Angry Birds. I bought it, played a few levels, then deleted it with no regrets. And that's not to say I don't like the premise, I absolutely love Castle Smasher. I guess that has to do with taste - would I rather shoot birds into pigs with a slingshot, or shoot stones from a catapult into castles?

Plus it's Donut Games, they can do no wrong.

5. pajo_ojap

pajo_ojap Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I hope you're atleast semi joking here. No where does it say in ScottColbert post that its the greatest thing since slice bread. He's not telling you to accept anything just that some people find the game fun.

To say you have merit in what you say because no one is disproving you to your satisfaction is ludicrious. Thats like you telling me you love chocolate and I ask why, you respond because it taste good. Well it may taste good to you, but your taste buds have no bearing on why I should like chocolate. I'm not saying you should like the game. Thats your decision to make. I can only try to tell you why I like the game and sometimes its, "just because".

I happen to think its the best 0.99 I have paid for any game (doodle bomb comes close). Why? because it has the right combination of skill, luck, physics, cartoonishness, pig slaughtering, bird flying, puzzle solving...and so on. Atleast for me. The aiming is hard and luck does have a roll in it, but you can limit how much luck has a play in things as your skill improves and you can certainly solve each level without luck. Luck mainly has to do with getting that higher score. As any diehard Angry Bird fans will tell you, with practice you get better at aiming and having it go where you want (after playing some levels 100s of times:)). In fact the inexact aiming method actually increases the replayability. Like someone else said, it is easy to restart the level when you realize its not going the way you want. I believe it also grows on you the more you play it. Its a easy game to pick up for a few minutes at a time. Some people like games you have to grind thru, some like logic and some like action/skill. This is a logic/physics games with same action/skill elements thrown in (aiming, launching, spliting, blowing).

I find that having the leaderboards has vastly increase my appreciation. You can only derive so much satisfaction from beating your own score. Then you realize that someone has doubled your score, even tho you have all three stars and its a whole new puzzle again. I like this game because I don't like to giveup on puzzle till I solved it, when someone shows me there is a better way I need to figure out the better way.

I don't know what else to say and probably have run on too long the way it is. I like it, you don't, end of story. Just curious what is your favorite game and why?

6. Gman

Gman Member

Oct 7, 2009
    To Each Their Own...

My wife is absolutely addicted to Angry Birds. I enjoyed it for a while and now I'm on to something else. The unmitigated arrogance of some implying that if you like it your an idiot should probably stop. Considering taste is relative and none of us have the crown of Grand High Douchebag to decide what is good and what isn't.

And PS- Oh great and arrogant geek just be glad your mother still lets you live in her basement. If Dad had his way you would have been out when you turned 30.

7. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    You and Scott just nailed it. The OP and others that don't like it are free to have whatever opinion they want and are free to not have this discussion in the Angry Birds thread where they'd obviously get a lot more input. But this game is just flat out fun to most people who play it. Yes it can be hard to get the higher scores (although if you can't beat most levels with one star I'm not sure you should really call yourself a gamer) but that's what most people like in a game: a challenge that makes you think.

Claiming the game is random is just wrong. If that were the case people wouldn't consistently get better st the game as they played. If you can't get a feel for the physics of it after a couple weeks then I'd say it's your loss.

Angry Birds is simply fun and is a perfect style game for the platform. As a result it will never leave my device.

8. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Ok first of all why ru people writing essays? Like is neccessary to write full three paragraphs just to prove a point? N second what ru people talking about??? How is angry birds not a good game? I guess u people r all smarter than the millions of 5 star reviews on iTunes.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Who said anything about this being a match in intelligence, I just find Angry Birds boring - nothing complex about that. Did I write an angry 1 star review? No, why bother. This is a personal preference.

Not interested in:
    Birds with different power ups
    Pigs inside wood planks and glass
    Getting 3 star ranks
    The panning and zoom function - I don't feel it is intuitive to me.

10. Spade

Spade Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    *hiss* Strike down the non-believer!

11. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Well, I dont know what others have said, but once a bird is mid-air, if you tap it something happens. For example some drop bombs, some speed up etc.

Also, you can swop across the screen, or pinch to zoom out so you can get more accurate shot. But could you imagine how boring it would be if it had an easy aim system with no trial and error?!

12. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Well, after reading the first page. I don't know what you're talking about. Angry Birds is a great game! Why? The controls are made for the iDevices. There's the pressure of having one last bird and if you miss you're screwed. Or the fact that there are a ton of levels and is constantly getting updates. Asking why this is the #1 game is silly, why is Peggle fun? Because it's addicting and just plain fun.

13. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Even though Angry Birds is overrated, it's a pretty good game. There could be a lot worse games at #1. The gameplay isn't too groundbreaking and requires a lot of trial-and-error, but it's a heck of a good deal for 99c and a great game to play with friends.

14. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Theres not much complicated about the appeal of Angry Birds. Its fun to try and dismantle the structures in the most efficient manner possible with the resources given. :shrug: Obviously, if you don't like the basic characteristics of the game (cartoony graphics and an absurd premise) then the games not for you. Personally I think the element of randomness is jsut about right - I mean yr shooting birds out of a slingshot, just how accurate can it be. The game wouldn't be much fun if you could reproduce exactly the same shot over and over again. Ftmp you can quickly determine where you want to try and aim yr shots after one or two tries at a given level and then its a matter of execution really. The levels don't take more than a matter of seconds to play so having to retry a few times isn't much of a big deal...

15. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    if you people want a console game, why don't you go play xbox or something. the app store is for quick and easy games that are fun, which is what angry birds perfectly resembles

16. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010

that's actually a pretty good question. peggle is considerably more random than angry birds but i LOVE peggle and am kind of 'meh' about angry birds. they're both staying on my phone for a long time, but your post made me wonder...

17. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    i dont think anyone is saying anything about the games depth, presentation or production value. nobody is asking for a console-type game, although if they were, there are PLENTY available for iOS.

i think it's a fair question...AB has been on the top of the charts for a looooong time...and i can definitely see how it wouldn't appeal to some. there are other games that i would think would more appealing to a wide demographic, which is what you need to stay up top for so long...

but good for them. it's a fun game that they clearly care about. the updates are spectacular.

18. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    really?

i consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer and i think doodle jump is awesome.

i just wanted to prove you wrong.

so...there. you're wrong.

19. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    While I like physics games, Angry Birds didn't click with me. It was kind of boring, TBH. Don't understand why it's been number 1 for this long, especially considering all the other (better) games that don't even get in the top 50.

20. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    #40 Watabou, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    I agree with the OP. I actually bought Angry Birds after I saw it sat in the top 50 for over a month or something. And I quickly got bored of it.

I enjoyed Doodle Jump better but not by a lot though.

Totally agree with you.

I guess I'm just a hardcore gamer that I enjoy games like Eliminate, and the many rpgs that are in the app store.