Universal Angry Birds Transformers (by Rovio Entertainment Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by HansKaosu, Sep 25, 2014.

1. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    #61 chief78, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    You're on the wrong forum then. If you read through any game on TA with timers, you'd instantly realize "I'm not going to persuade anyone differently on the TA forums." Simply put, no one here agrees with timers, and some have already mentioned we'd pay REAL MONEY to not have a freemium game. Tell me that's a bad idea....cuz it's not. This game is over-monetization of a beloved franchise...and It's not the bird one.

Charge $5 or $10 up-front, unlock the content, and mention up-front that this game is really a way to push telepods, and I'm in. I do still like this game, but I fall into the side who would've paid for the premium up-front. And I'm a huge Tformers fan, so I really do love the homage to that franchise.

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I haven't played an Angry Birds game for years and I'm sad to say that I am really enjoying this. It's a terrible shame how complicated the freemium aspect has made it though. Christ on a bike, I couldn't let my kidz near it with it's constant pushing of speeding up things. Underneath it all is a great fun and well made game - it's just a shame that that's what people no longer seem to want to pay for.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Man the reviews are ridiculously high on apple store. How is that possible. Serious question? Because i can only play for about close to 5 minutes before I get stuck with hour plus long timers. Am i missing something?

4. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Game Impressions

For me this game is the worst Rovio produced as of yet.

5. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    You are missing the point. I am curious though how can a game that actively doesn't allow you to play it for more than a few minutes at a time be considered a 5 star game?

The main issue isn't just that there is a single timer with an energy system. It's that there are timers for everything. Timers for the birds, timers for the stages, timers for the upgrades, timers for the unlocks and then there are non-stop pop-ups to buy more crap with a terrible menu design. It's overly convoluted and takes away from the outstandingly great content that is here. Even just progressing to unlock new areas is rather complicated.

The game just does its best to keep you from playing or even seeing the awesome stuff in the game. Crap, even the awesome pause menu that looks like an old VHS tape on pause is blocked with an ad most of the time.

It's obvious the folks that made this are either super fans or at least had the fans of the original series in mind throughout development and the fan service is definitely there. Sadly, at the end of the day and upon release, the game just does its best to nickel and dime the player at every turn. What makes it even worse is that none of the IAPs, upon purchase, will get you very far and this is even the $99 one. I did some quick math and you would only be without timers for an hour in the third area and that is if you didn't use any of the gems for upgrades. Terrible ROI.

Truthfully I would have been more than happy for Rovio to have taken 5 bucks from me for the game. I probably would have paid upwards of 10 which is kind of crazy for a game that is made to be played in short bursts. The timers though make those short bursts even shorter than they should be and to me it ruins the amazing experience that has been presented here.

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    100% agree with the above. It's so convoluted with timers it's almost beyond me. There really is a timer for everything. Barring the timers, it's absolutely beautiful in every way.

7. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I tested this out, and actually all you have to do is click on the bird (assuming they have an active mission) and above the bird, look at the red bar and to the right, you'll see a "+" symbol. Tap on that and it shows the gold price to repair them. Crappy part is most missions you'll need at least 3 hearts or u may as well just start the repairs.....unless it's Soundwave...he's OP compared to the other bots so far. Agreed though, a simple option to see all the bots in a list and with their stats would be nice. The UI is pretty barren in this game.

8. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    The no cloud save burned me. For whatever reason I kept on playing in a grinding, not spending iap manner but not related to the game, been getting a orientation lock sticking on the iPhone 6 plus bug (others reporting this bug too) that just kept getting worse. Broke down yesterday and tried a phone restore, and upon trying game again, the game kept crashing on boot up forcing a delete and reinstall and losing progress.

But agree with all the negativity. There is a fun game here lost in a onslaught of iap forcing timers.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Please come back the old Rovio ! You made billions with Angry Birds, no need for freemium !

10. Yerac8

Yerac8 Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Astro train is a decepticon so I don't know why he is helping Optimus. Other than that it is a fun game. It looks like I will have to share it with my transformers mad kids though

11. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Agreed on being delivered by Astrotrain wether ur an Autobird or Deceptapig....kinda weird, but then ur "partner" on a mission seems to be an enemy most of the time anyway...Just curious why there's a redundant IAP that is this far of a difference. Pretty terrible....

12. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    #72 chief78, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Hmmmm.... Can't get the pic to load, which is weird.....anyway. There's 2 IAP's for Jenga one for $1.99 and another listed at $9.99.....??

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Really good game, i give it that. But it is heavily hampered by timers. Been playing it on and off since the soft launch, and it didnt get any better.

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    The timers are pretty bad, you can usually play about 5 missions and then close the game as you wait for new missions to arrive. Or level up / heal and then wait even longer.

I really don't get that methodology of games that don't want you to play them. It feels to me that what World of Tanks Blitz and Hearthstone are doing is better. It's a shame because the core game is quite fun. On the upside though, it is pretty repetitive so maybe playing in short bursts is better in the long run!

15. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Unfortunately, it's pretty tough to make money with a premium game on the App Store. Plus, what Rovio made with Angry Birds is pocket change compared to the hundreds of millions/billions that King, Supercell, and Gungho have made.

I know we all prefer paying $5 up front, but most people won't. We represent a very tiny minority of the App Store market and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Therefore, in my opinion we can either accept and embrace freemium games done right or move on to another platform. This same arguement happens on every freemium game thread. Nothing is changing. Devs aren't going back to premium games. Devs aren't leaving money on the table by going freemium (the App Store economy results in the opposite....premium games are leaving money on the table since most people wont touch them and they can't make money off of whales).

This game is fun and without freemium it prob would've never gotten a release.

16. iPhones iOS

iPhones iOS Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Rochester, New York
    I know who King and Supercell are but I don't know who Gungho is. I kind of wish that games were not going freemium but, you are making some really good points.

17. mid83

mid83 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2014
    Gungho made Puzzle and Dragons. It's a much bigger hit in Japan. I think they pulled in over 1 billion a year at one point.

18. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I keep thinking, when I unlock a new bot, gameplay will change but it doesn't. Just slightly different guns. Kind of like the racing game, it has been just meh. I love the old school transformer vibe and will keep loading it up every few days, but keep finding the number of days gets farther and farther apart.

ill stick with old Angry Birds games and Bad Piggies. Star Wars ones... That's it. The new takes just aren't compelling at this point.

19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Sure it gets repetitive in a way but that's in the some way the original AB is except you can't upgrade your birds. So in a way this one is slightly better (but takes less thinking).

The huge downside is the freemium. My favorite franchise in the world is #2 at transformers. I follow it so much. However this game I deleted after a few hours. I'm not keeping a game on my device that I can play only 5 minutes at a time and makes me pay or wait for a timer every few minutes.

20. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    So... I just goofed around and went airplane mode, loaded the game, returned to home screen, spun the clock in date and time and walla all timers finished their progress.

What I did observe though was next time I went online I got a 'your bots have been damaged by timetravel!' message which I found oddly humerous heh. Anyways, All my transformers hit points were punched in the jaw, but I didn't notice anything else.

Anyone have any thing to add on this? Is there a chance of it deleveling a bot? A chance of it emptying my coin coffers? My pig kills?

If the only thing I suffer is some repair times next time I go online, thats easily easily offset if one spends afew hours playing in airplane mode time traveling.