Universal Angry Birds Epic - (by Rovio Entertainment Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I happen to like energy bars and timers so it's a no go..... Just kidding I might just check it out. Thanks for the impressions

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I honestly don't think any Angry Birds game should have a timer. I'm wary of thanking them for not using a timer because the original Angry Birds became a hit without a timer. But hey, I guess if everyone else is making money off of it then Rovio may soon put it in all their games.

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #83 Cilo, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    The game is pretty fun, and I was glad to see there are equip slots to characters, because I thought it would be a really slimmed down rpg. However, if you plan on grinding, it looks like Rovio has put up a major roadblock to that. I went back to play earlier levels I had already 3 starred, and I can't get any higher than 1 star, it's the weirdest design choice I've ever seen.

I mean, I get the idea, stop people from grinding earlier levels so their progress is stalled and they are either forced to grind even longer, or give up and buy IAP, but that's quite a huge middle finger from Rovio to its player-base.

It's also worked in the opposite way for me, I'll never buy IAP from them, including the Golden Chili, however they might've snagged $1-$2 from me had they just priced it as a premium game.

4. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I've replayed earlier levels with no issues and still get three stars, even went back to some levels I only got two before and now got three.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Daily dungeon location? And where is the mighty bird that has recipes for gear or to level up? I can't remember exactly what that tip said.

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yah I did the same, but the level scaling is a tad off or the world is really small. It took me quite awhile of grinding out 2 levels and some crafting to go back and three star some levels. I was trying to play straight up, no health pots, but this game is having none of that.

Anyway, now that I got a hang of how the spells work together, and picked up a healer this game has been a blast.

Still not buying IAP but its fun. :D

I thought it was a professor pig, and I am almost to him. There are outposts every so often with gear schematics that you can buy.

7. grelb

grelb Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    New Zealand
    #87 grelb, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    I've played it quite a lot since grabbing it 24 hours ago.
    It is very nice. Turn based Final Fantasy style battles.
    You start with one fighter type character and unlock a spellcaster, then a healer (that just seems superior to the fighter in every way) and then a bomb heavy-dmg type.
    I can see some more characters to unlock up ahead.

I like the fact there are no timers.
    Angry Birds Go has the annoying 5 race limit for each bird. I hate it!

Previously - twice now - I thought I had run out of places to explore.
    After a battle a pig had ran away. It turns out you have to watch where he goes, as this is where your next battle is.
    One sends you right back to a boat at the start. I couldnt find what to do so just grinded normal levels to accumulate trash and XP until I found it.

In some weird design decision they give you far too many different types of ingredients.
    I keep getting more, and occasionaly some new but useless ones.
    There seems to be an irrelevant /annoying step of mixing ingredients to make other ingredients. aargh.

The home base interface is very confusing.
    Destroying items will destory your equipped item. With no recovery option. Very scary.
    When viewing one of your characters some future items are blacked out, others dont show any future items.
    (update: Ahh - each character has > 1 class. The first tab of blacked out items is the class select tab)

Took me ages to find the "login to rovio" screen. I spent a good 5 mins hunting around the menus.

I am constantly reminded to complete the daily dungeon, but I haven't come across one yet.

So apart from the game needing some serious usability testing - it is very nice and smooth.

Currently though I've hit a brick wall against Prince Porky on a boat.
    He has over 1000 life and ignores damage over 63.
    So my 2 big hitters are pretty useless.
    Somehow he is also healing himself back up to full, but I can't see that ability in his description. (update: the bomb adds he summons heal him)
    If I try and level up some more I might end up never doing any damage to him. (I'm currently level 7).
    Perhaps I have to downgrade my items - but I trashed all my lesser items, so I'll have to make them all again.

IMG_0316.PNG

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ LOL that is hilariously cheap. Basically telling you that if you power leveled your characters you're screwed. Then forces you to go "lower" to attempt to beat him which is probably going to be difficult.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #89 Cilo, Mar 19, 2014
    @grelb I'm guessing you would use his attacks against him, and just go major defensive. Mage casts lightning reflect shield, healer spams shield and heal attack, and keep warrior shield up. I've been flying through the game by basically outlasting everything with spamming chili heals, but I haven't reached this prince yet. I'm guessing I am close since I am part way through the pirate ship battles.

Also made a quick gameplay video to show you how it looks on the iPhone 5. I was critical at first, but I love this game way more than the original Angry Birds style of gameplay.

10. Trantor

Trantor New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I think the key to the Prince Porky boss battle is unlocking the Samurai class for red bird. This way he will multiple times, but with sufficiently low damage per hit so that Porky won't dodge.

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Never mind, none of my strategies worked. What's stupid is yellow bird should have a 65% chance to remove tit tat from prince porky but it never executes which is stupid because isn't tit tat a spell?

12. Trantor

Trantor New Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Finally defeated Prince Porky with a level 7 party (Samurai, Lightning Bird, Cleric) and a little help from a couple of sea berry juices. Good luck!

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Or for prince porky change your equipped weapon to one that will not overkill. Really enjoying this game...was thinking it was terrible the other day and then I got the healer which made things so much better!

Just unlocked Druid and Samurai so not too far in yet but looking forward to playing more. I have to say though I hate the random dice rolls on gear, no idea how to get my free friend gem a day? Also can't find daily dungeon but as it's only soft launch maybe it's not in there yet?

14. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It worked thanks! I was level 8 already, didn't realize I could unlock the samurai.

16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Anyone else open the game today to find it load up the intro credits and start you on level 1....can't seem to find my saved game.

17. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    There is a first time connection bug. it has been reported to Rovio

If you connect to rovio account and restart the game it will reset..

this only will happen on the first time you connect

18. grelb

grelb Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    New Zealand
    #98 grelb, Mar 19, 2014
    Update:
    Prince Porky heals when the bombs go off, so killing them is imperative.
    Also I I killed him eventually trying different character abilities. There was a combination that worked well
    Using Yellows Mage Lightning shield and hoping

Does anyone else get an iTunes Reminder for the game immediately when you minimize the game?
    eg. "Explore 'Dungeon: Volcano Island' and winheaps of snoutlings"

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012

Dam so there's no getting it back? I was level 7 and 3 starred all my levels and unlocked Druid and samurai...

20. bambambam

bambambam Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm in the same boat. I was level 8 with samurai and druid. I had gotten the yellow key and was on the first daily dungeon. I got a refund for the 5 dollars I spent. But it is unlikely I start this game again. It was fun while it lasted.