Angry Birds 2 and Game of Loot both available on the 30th (My Game)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SuperUltraHyper, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperUltraHyper

SuperUltraHyper Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2015
    #1 SuperUltraHyper, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Edit: Adding App Store Links
    iOS App Store
    Google Play

I spent Wednesday sending out press emails for my game, Game of Loot... including one to [email protected]. (Read: Basicly the launch date is set in stone.)

Then I wake up to find Game of Loot and Angry Birds 2 will both be launching on the 30th of this month. Obviously this worries me. Originally I pushed back the game's launch due to the press surrounding E3. Now, I will have to compete with what will be a whirl wind of Angry Bird Press. So now I am wondering if I will have a chance to get press coverage. Obviously press is essential in a games success.

What do you think? How big is the trouble?

You Tube Trailer:

2. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Your going up against angry birds... I'd recommend pushing it back at least a week, though I guess it depends on how well it catches on.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There are quite a bit of really, really big games coming out on the 30th. The Crescent Moon published "Operation Dracula" comes out, I believe Race the Sun does too. I should've made a list somewhere, but I dunno...I can't imagine everyone changing their release dates because of Angry Birds 2.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Be interesting to see what angry birds 2 is like. Thought the last few freemium Rovio titles have been poor. Will this be much of the same or another huge hit ?

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    According to Pocket Gamer, Angry Birds 2 is actually Angry Birds Under Pigstruction that has been soft-launched for quite a while in Canada. If that's the case, it's more of the same. :/

6. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I'm not buying anything from Cresent Moon until Exiles is fixed.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, if it makes a difference...this is published by Crescent Moon. :p

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exiles was disappointing but it was a few dollars and over the years I've had a ton of enjoyment from crescent moon games.

Looking forward to this shoot em up

9. SuperUltraHyper

Feb 4, 2015
    #9 SuperUltraHyper, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    If I could I would but it's too late now... The press stuff has been pushed out.
    At least it isn't a clone of Angry Birds :/

10. Your game looks more interesting to me than any Angry Birds game, if that helps any.

11. SuperUltraHyper

Feb 4, 2015
    @AppUnwrapper - Thanks. With less than 2 weeks to go the anticipation is killing me.

12. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Different genres, but if I had a choice I'd take Angry Birds 2 In a heartbeat. I'll also check out the other games...

13. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    There are numerous Cresent Moon games with bugs...

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Well, if too many big name games come out on the same day, then a single other game's name may never even reach most people, especially if they're not highlighted by Apple. Personally, I'm just waiting for Final Fantasy VII by playing Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter among others. So, I probably won't download either of these.

15. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I agree to a certain extent, big difference is that more and more mobile games contain huge ampunts of content, a lot of ports too (final fantasy and dragon quest being fine example)

If games are to release same day as FF7 for instance im sure this will lower sales.

Angry birds being a 100% casual 5 minutes killer, your point is totally accurate for these kind of titles

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Anymore, there are so many good games released every week, it's hard to try and find a "slow week" on the App Store. Slow weeks are all in the eyes of the beholder though. What one person might think is a "weak week", another may think it's the best week ever.

Me personally, I have no problem playing two different games of the same genera at the same time. I usually pick up just about every half way decent game that comes out on the App Store every week, plus console games, so that ends up happening a lot.

I guess my concern would be press. Most sites are most likely going to be talking about Angry Birds 2. Wether it's a hit or a miss, they are going to be talking about it because they know with how popular the series is, they are going to get the traffic.

That's just my worry/opinion. That your game won't get the exposure it deserves......BUT, maybe it could be a good idea because maybe, just maybe everybody else is holding off, so you could be the only one up against the birds, so your all people have if they don't care for Angry Birds.

As you can tell, I have no clue. The App Store is a crazy place. Just go for it. Worst case scenario, if it gets overlooked, do a content update later on and hopefully get shown in the "Best New Updates" section.

I'm rambling. I know.

17. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    You might be rambling but you're right on target!

18. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    It matters not

Just to offer a slightly different perspective:

On launch day of Angry Birds 2 there are probably more people checking the app store than usual, and at least some of them will have a look at other games released on the same day, too.
    So you might as well make use of Rovio's marketing muscle and publish your game on the same day as Angry Birds 2.

The ugly truth is, though, that if you are in the position of wondering whether it makes any difference, it most likely doesn't.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    When Angry Birds 2 launches; I'll likely be looking for a satisfying alternative (AB is 'ok' but not my preferred brand) so in my opinion concurrent launching with Angry Birds 2 might be a perk.

20. zazzer

zazzer Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Global Community Manager, Arena of Valor
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey! First, congratulations on your game release. I wanted to chime in with the perspective of a publishing partner.

This is a good topic and one that not many developers (and App Store customers) really think of. And that's understandable -- once you complete work on the project you've been pouring your heart and talent into for so long, your first instinct is to get it into players' hands as soon as possible.

In the past, I may have been inclined to believe you should avoid a property such as Angry Birds. But the App Store has certainly changed and with time is only becoming increasingly crowded. Nowadays, you can't really put off your release when a big name is releasing a game because another big name will likely be releasing a different game on that date, as well. There are too many developers and licenses on the App Store now to be afraid of them all.

Fortunately, Game of Loot and Angry Birds are not direct competitors with each other (different genre, different audience appeal). If another game that was a direct competitor was releasing, then moving your launch date would probably be best.

The App Store is big enough now and mobile gamers' habits are much different than consoles or PCs. Your game can still be seen, but you will have to concede that instead of competing for X amount of featuring banners, chances are good that you will likely be competing for X-1 banners.

Good luck with your release and don't worry about the birds, everyone has different tastes!