Universal Angel Sword (by DVide Arts Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 26, 2015.

1. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Seems you can just tap the item to pick it up, has worked for me on all items so far.

So...really stuck on the thief: can't find the guard captain or the lighthouse! What am I missing?
    Only quests I have are the main and the thief, lvl 5 with pet.

Enjoying it so far, hardest part by far is learning songs.

2. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I am lost on that quest as well I think they are talking about the tower by ship with the boarded up door but yeah I don't get it either

3. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    I follow the guard that walks by the place you respawn and he mentions a thief, thief mentions the guard and that's all I can find.
    Only thing I can think of is grinding to 10 to get the sword the old guy is on about.
    Loving the matrix style map points.

4. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Hate to tell you this but I'm level 10 and still stuck lol the old guy doesn't give you a sword either

5. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Ah but he has just given me a 'kill first boss' quest which is inline with what the guys said.

6. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Now the first boss is confusing me, is there a song you're meant t to use on him I'm missing?

7. azerti14

azerti14 Member

Dec 18, 2013
    So, i finished the game last night and here is some things i want to talk about :

- the multiplayer work some times on iphone ( i tried on iphone 5 )

- the multiplayer dont work on ipad ( ipad air 2 ) i tried many times but the game crash when i tried to join a party, even if i creat one and someone want to join the game crash...its sad becasue the game is more enjoyable on ipad..

- you can collect gems on the game (40 max ) you need to find them, you can also win some gems if you share on facebook your achievements, unfortunately you cant buy all the bonus items and pets on the shop without buying gems with real money, the pets and appearance gives bonus on game ( %atk, magic, healing...) so the players who have a lot of gems will be the best on pvp.

- SPOIL BOSS ( DONT READ IF YOU DONT THE TRICK) tips for boss :

1 boss : you need to play the music of silence (zzz) when the icone appear above the head of the boss, then the rock will fall dow' and you can attack him for a short moment.

2 boss : it takes me some times to find the solution, tou need to play the music of power ( red icone ) and then throw the stone on the boss. The stone is on the ground near the boss when he trie to charge you.

3 boss : when the boss disapear you just need to play the music of visibility ( the purple icone with an eye ) thé you will see the boss for a short time and try to attack him.

SPOIL QUEST
    I will only talk about quest that are a little bit difficult to do :

The guard : you need to play the music of silence ( blue icone ) in front of the guard who is walking on the bridge( not the big on ) you can find hom near the mage tower ( the empty room with magic potions etc )

Mermaid quest : swim below the waterfall then go to the ocean to find a pearl.
    Try to find every statue on each map to travel fast with the music ( icone with wings )

Hidden chest : there is a hidden chest on the north-east tower of the town, who contain a music( you can forward in time) but i dont know the usefulness ( maybe for fast respawn of mobs).

Monsters with a red name will attack you automatically, monsters with green name will not attack you,only if you attack them.

- max lvl is 30

Sorry for my bad english i dont speak english very well. Hope they will fix the multiplayer on ipad.

8. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks for the info!

9. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Sounds like it's a very short game and those people who paid the full price should be entitled to free gem gear/pets.

10. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    I totally agree I am very sad now to hear how short the game is. Why would anyone buy the ridiculously high priced gems to buy the special gear/pets for such a short game? That's nuts. Also I am getting to a point in the game where I need a stronger weapon and I can't afford one. There is not enough gold earned from quests and none dropped by enemies. This tells me I can only purchase gold with the ridiculously high priced gems and that is not a premium game. They need to fix that asap.

11. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Try farming items for re-sale?

The limited inventory sucks, especially with items not stacking.

Let's see what happens when the devs update this game.

Interested to know the play through time. Even if you get 8 hours out of it... That's a dollar per hour of entertainment. Where else can you do that? Hell, even console games you pay 70 bucks for you sometimes only get 30 hours worth. This is a total bargain.

12. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Re gold, I was shocked to find frogs legs sell for 14g. I guess the other trash goes for similar too, haven't had chance to try.

13. azerti14

azerti14 Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Try to farm trees On the forest, 48 gold for each leaf.

14. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    I'm too weak to kill trees yet lol I'm a level ten and I think I have the level five sword. So is seahaven the only town in the game? I just beat the first boss and realized I'm too weak to get far in the woods but I was really hoping there was another town or a city somewhere. Also, do you ever get any more quests past level 10? It would be nice if multiplayer worked for me I could team up with some of you guys and really kick some butt :p

15. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    I'm at the same, lvl 10 and wondering if I've got to grind a silly number of levels before the next quests open up or I'm 20 for the next boss.

16. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    #116 Repulsa, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    It's 20 to the next boss the trees in the forest are killable I am just trying to hack my way up the levels haven't attempted the elves in awhile but the last time I did I got creamed Have you gotten the song in the chest at the bottom of the lake yet? It lets you instantly transport to places you have already been

17. azerti14

azerti14 Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes, more quest will be availabe when you lvl up. Dont, worry about money, it will be easier at the end game, some monsters drop swords and shields that you can sell for 480 gold each. Im playing with a second character full mage its great ^^ hés lvl 13

18. AppWhore

Dec 24, 2008
    Yep! Luckily spotted it in the sponge hunt.

19. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I think I can see why folks had such a low initial opinion on this game. I'll try and detail my reasonings below. Know that these are based on only a couple hours of gameplay, as I lost interest after that (I got to level 5 before I called it quits).

1.) People are skeptical of IAPs.

If the game asks for a price upfront and then offers options to buy more stuff with money in-game, even if it is cosmetic, folks get suspicious. Why did the devs feel like this cosmetic stuff requires another purchase separate from buying the game? Why didn't they just go with a more expensive upfront cost and ditch the IAPs entirely? In theory, the amount of money earned is the same either way. Surely there's a way to implement cosmetic items in a game without locking them behind a paywall.

Not only that, but folks have pointed out that some of the IAPs give stat boosts to your character, and that means shelling out for the best gear is apparently the most effective strategy. This adds more to the cost of the game beyond its up-front selling point, and there are folks who believe that doing this is unethical because it advertises an initial price but then surprises you with other costs that you did not anticipate. Sure, you could argue that buying the IAP is unnecessary. But if you want it, you have to pay for it, and that on top of an initial price is often seen as unfair and anti-consumer.

2.) The game's controls are bad.

Sure, they function, but being functional is not the same as being fun to use, a judgment which is more subjective but will lead to satisfaction for the player more often than not. Panning around with the camera is janky as all heck, as holding the camera to a certain viewpoint while moving around with the thumb stick causes the camera to "shiver". Not only that, but you can't examine around your feet, even when you are in the air, as the camera locks itself to a select few degrees of motion up and down. Sure, there's a toggle for first-person perspective, but you can't move/attack/do ANYTHING while in that perspective, making it impossible to use when things are intense, and useless for everything else other than occasionally taking screenshots if you're one of those folks. Also, don't get me started on the indoor camera; being indoors seem to amplify these problems more than you would think.

Also, the flying system is kinda borked: try tapping the fly button (DO NOT hold it down) as you are walking around the ground, and try not to get motion sickness. Also, you recover flight stamina while you are hovering (in the air, but not moving). This means that, with patience, you can fly anywhere you want, as the only penalty for using up your flight stamina is a few seconds of doing nothing. As Egoraptor put it in one of his Sequelitis videos: "Waiting is the bane of exploration." Having to constantly interrupt yourself as you are flying around makes flight tedious and boring, rather than an interesting combat/platforming challenge.

3.) Even with good controls, the game would still be boring.

The quests are variations on MMORPG quests, which go something like this stereotypically speaking:

"Go kill/collect X monsters/items for Y reason."
    "Go here, talk to this NPC, do their tasks."
    "Go here with this item and do Z with it."
    "Get B item and bring it to me."

The quests in the game do not deviate from these broad templates, meaning that they become monotonous as you progress through the game, as you encounter the same kinds of quests that ask you to do the same kinds of things over and over again. Sure, they add flavor text to try and disguise that fact, but it becomes apparent the more you play.

The central storyline isn't compelling. New characters are dumped into the main town and then given an info-dump about where they are and why they are there, with zero clue as to why all these words thrown at them are as important as the NPCs claim they are. Then you're let loose to do whatever you want, and it isn't as exciting as that sounds (see the last paragraph).

Character progression is uninspired. Nothing from the Angel tree feels tailored to, well, Angelic things. There are no abilities that feel like only an Angel could do them, which was odd because the character is supposed to be an angel. Why not tweak animations or rename spells to make them seem more angelic? Any wizard could cast lightning bolts, and any human could swing a sword. What makes your character so special that they absolutely have to be summoned to fight the 'big bad evil thingymajigger' (The game doesn't call it that, but it felt like that, so I call it that :p ) other than maybe-sorta having wings? If there was an explanation, I must have missed it, because again nothing showed me why it was so important to pay enough attention to make sure I not miss details like that.

Also, there are no unique suffixes or rarities to equipment, meaning that character progression in terms of armor is highly linear: does X new piece of equipment have better stats than yours? You better swap it out, even if it clashes with your current wardrobe, otherwise you won't keep up with the damage output from enemies. Also, it seems that the only available armor/weapons/etc. is found in the shops, never as loot drops from defeated enemies. This takes the enjoyment out of looting enemies, as you will either get trash to be sold at a vendor or a quest item (again, see the paragraph on quests for my thoughts on those). Why should you bother with loot if it is almost worthless outside of generic quest stuff?

Last but certainly not least, the game plays like an MMORPG, and you really feel it in the combat. You tap the icons as you fight to use your abilities and attacks, just like the hotkeys in any MMO... yet the game gives you only three buttons at a time to slot abilities to. Sure, you can cycle between each set of three, but only three at a time?! Not only that, but the buttons are small, so it is possible to wonder why your character is doing nothing and only realizing you were missing the tiny button when you double-check where your finger was landing. The tap-to-target is also deceptive: sure, you can target them, but each ranged ability has its own range to it. Of course, nothing in the game tells you if your target is in range until you finally guess correctly and your character does their ranged attack. That could have been easily eliminated by changing the targeting reticle color once your character was in range to attack, or maybe even highlighting the buttons once they were in range.

The non-stacking items and super-limited inventory have already been mentioned by other folks. Also, you will get destroyed if you engage enemies that are one level higher than you, no matter how well you play.

4.) Even if all that was fixed, the game does not hold up in terms of graphics.

Sure, your character model is pretty detailed, which makes your character stick out like a sore thumb among the other lower-resolution townsfolk and enemies. Also, the environments are flat in their geometry, with low-resolution textures over everything from buildings to grass to trees to the stone towers. Heck, the graphic that plays when it rains is the quality of a random .gif meme on the Internet; it looks bad and glitches awkwardly. Not only that, but there is zero personality given to these models and textures. Your face is always a dumb blank stare regardless of whatever else is happening, and the townsfolk are even worse, as their faces are often flat textures rather than the detailed model of yourself, giving them even less room for personality.

5.) Aralon: Sword and Shadow did this better.

If anything, the game is similar in some respects to Aralon: Sword and Shadow, but this game doesn't have the strong art direction or the better writing quality of Aralon to be a fair comparison. Everything about Aralon is better, even though you don't get to fly around using wings. If you want a fun and expansive RPG of this type, go play Aralon. It's almost guaranteed to be a better time than this game....

....except, well, if you happen to be one of those people who enjoys playing through bad games and getting a kick out of how bad they are. On occasion, there is a moment of neat quest design (the steps needed to find the Song of Time stick out in my mind as the most memorable thing of the first couple hours of play time), and the way you learn new songs once you get the harp is a neat idea that could be implemented better in future games. If more work was put into everything else about this game, then more folks would enjoy it more. But then again, the standard is Aralon, or Ravensword: Shadowlands if you happen to like that game over Aralon. For a mobile RPG, that can be a high standard to beat. Perhaps the devs should have tried something less ambitious to build their skills; they have a couple neat ideas, but they are not enough to salvage this game IMHO.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Make of them whatever you will.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

P.S. I think the game deserves a 1-star rating, not a zero-star rating. They tried, but ultimately failed, in my humble opinion.

20. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Wow, how thorough, good work. Question... How many iOS games have you developed ?