And the most abused word in the store is ....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by markx2, Jul 25, 2009.

1. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    addictive.

Here's the thing - in the store I generally like to read what the game is about. Devs want me to give them money and I want some idea of what it is I will be playing. But no, so many games are so addictive, it'll have me addicted instantly, I'll not be able to put it down due to it's addictiveness.

Come on - be original.

Addictive instantly? So I shouldn't start playing until I've several days empty? Should I arrange food parcels and some IM fluids?

Try this: if I knocked on your door and told you that the pretty box I was holding was addictive and can I have 59p for it would you buy it? No, of course you would not. You'd want to see it, maybe touch it, ask questions about it. So please, stop with the word addictive and all it's derivatives. Use the space to tell us about the game. You are otherwise wasting some incredibly valuable space in the store.

Sell your game not the effect you think it will have on us.

/rant

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Addictive with a close runner up of polished. Those are probably the two most meaningless words you could pick when describing something.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I'm sick of the phrase, "Easy to learn, but hard to master."

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    "For the price of a cup of coffee" is also repeated ad nauseam.

5. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    That also seem s pretty prominent on these forums. I don't even buy coffee!

6. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I usually take "addictive" to mean "causes slight itch and feeling or mental discomfort whenever the game comes to mind as you are doing something more tedious and important such as working or paying bills or anything else that is relatively understimulating

"Addictive" without "fun" means you don't really care about playing the game except to sooth the brain while it is withdrawing from not playing it. The withdrawal is not from fun per se, but from however the brain was being soothed or stimulated during the game. For example, a match-3 game that is activating certain areas of the brain normally used only transiently in everyday activities causes the areas activated as such to individually "withdraw" due to being suddenly deprived of chemicals artificially sustained at higher levels during either exposure to the patterns - not only visual but those involved in coordination and execution of fine control. Patterns playing in the back of the mind during other activities is one way the mind eases the transition from overuse to underuse of those regions. I find game with control novelty - especially motion control or something involving drawing a line such as flight control- to be potentially more addictive than any game that is trying to hook me with graphic violence - so passe.

7. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Not really overused but the most stupid "review" I've ever seen for any game is IGN's for Rolando 2, "if you do not like Rolando 2, then you do not like video games". I think I played my share of games and no I do not like Rolando in any way. Even if I did, that review would immediately put me off from buying Rolando 2, since apparently they're too lazy to come up with a serious comment.

8. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    What about "on sale"?

9. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #9 Alichan76, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    After the mountain of sh*te appearing in the app store, it's not really surprising that people might want to say 'this game is polished'. It's a rarity, less so now admittedly, but even so...
    And honestly, I think a game being 'addictive' (or 'addicting'...whatever) is about as important as it gets. I'm not sure I would believe a devs blurb on iTunes, but if I hear a gamer say it then it's important, to me at least.

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Actually people say addicting more than addictive =P

11. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    First time in my life that I'm according to you, and to a Canadian in general.

"On Sale" is abused.
    I guess you've already talked about it on TA, but it's very pathetic how some games are "On Sale" forever.

"Special price. Only for a limited time" is also very annoying to read.

Everybody knows you're not going to raise the price of your games, devs...

12. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

And also IIRC technically illegal, at least in the UK, prices must at some point (can't remember the time frame if one is specified) return to a non sale price.

13. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm going to go change all mine to say addictively polished.

14. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I hate how apps include something along the lines of "Enjoy games like blah blah blah? Then you'll love this app!". Much of the time it's not true and a very sneaky way of putting in keywords so their app becomes more popular.

15. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    We need to see less of the formentioned annoying descriptions and see more of "Who is driving that car? Oh my god, a bear is driving! How can that be?!"

Straight to the point.

Nuff' said.

16. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    "Deceptively simple" is beginning to grind my gears. :p

17. RealRacer

RealRacer Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    All of the previous example dont even come close to the members of this site's compulsive use of the word "impressions"

it's absolutly sick how all of you follow eachother like lemmings.

"impressions soon"
    "first impressions"
    "my mom has impessions"

but that's acceptible to you where as "addictive" isn't?

18. I'm going to use the phrase "habit-forming." :D

19. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    ... I fail to see a point in this incohesive writhing mass of the english language.

20. RealRacer

RealRacer Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    #20 RealRacer, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009

You can put together a statment like that & yet you can't or fail to see the point of my post just because it's about TA members?

Well I'll help you....it's the same point as the op, only it's about TA members & their lack of originallity.

& the next time you want to appear articulate don't make yourself look stupid just because you want to look or seem cool.

End of lesson