iPad Anaglyphs! (in Stereoscopic 3D)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BoiledGoose, Feb 11, 2009.

1. BoiledGoose

BoiledGoose Well-Known Member

#1 BoiledGoose, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    UPDATE: The game is live in iTunes!

UPDATE: Added gameplay video - YouTube link

Hey everyone. First time poster, long time lurker :)

I just received my acceptance email from Apple for my first game. It won't go live until Tues, Feb 17th, so in the meantime I thought I'd post some info and get your opinions on features, pricing and any other feedback you have (or update ideas that I can start working on now).

One of my hobbies is 3D photography (3D Flickr set) and I noticed there aren't any Stereoscopic 3D iPhone games, so I made one.

[​IMG]

"Anaglyphs!" is a Stereoscopic 3D Memory Match game. In many ways it's like other time-based pair matching games, but it's designed to be used with red/cyan (commonly known as red/blue) 3D glasses. So... a tried and true concept with a twist.

The main features are:
    + Two 3D themes (Classic and Winter) plus a 2D mode (Classic 2D).
    + Time-based. Earn extra time by matching 2 or more pairs in a row (chain combos).
    + For the 3D effects, the card symbols appear to float above the iPhone screen and the backgrounds are set in recessed 3D space. The Winter theme also has falling snow particles. If you have 3D glasses handy check out the screenshot below.
    + Scoring is based on clock time when matches are found.
    + Top score is saved and is user-resetable.
    + Volume control for owners of 1st gen Touches.
    + Auto-Saves at the start of each new level. (Saves time, level, score and current theme).
    + Level progression with changing backgrounds for each level (up to level 15, past that they randomly rotate).

[​IMG]

My questions are:

Pricing - Existing match games run from free to $1.99. But there are no other 3D games to compare prices to, and I'm assuming this is a very small niche. Meaning I don't expect it to be a top 50 game, but it would be nice to make enough sales to fund future game ideas. My initial idea is $.99 as an introductory price, then go to $1.99 with the first major update. Does this sound right or am I crazy to go over $.99?

Feature updates - I already have a "Spring" theme in the works, and would like to add Summer and Fall down the road. Beyond adding themes, what other things would you like to see in a game like this? As simple of a concept as it is, my goal is for it to be worth the asking price even if it's only played in 2D mode. If you could add any feature to a memory match game, what would it be?

3D Glasses - This a barrier to entry and I realize most people don't have 3D glasses on hand. (And the Superbowl / Chuck glasses won't work - they use weird colors that deviate from the red/cyan standard). I already put a list on my site for places to get the glasses, but do you think I should offer them for sale (not as a money maker, just as a service) or do you think my list approach is OK?

3D Effects - what kinds of visual effects would you like to see added to give it that extra 3D kick (beyond floating cards, snowfall and recessed backgrounds)?

Opinions, feedback and thoughts are welcome. Thanks for any ideas you can share!

The website is boiledgoose.com.

2. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I'm not sure if you have this on your site, but I would suggest that you post a link to a place where people can purchase cheap 3-D glasses (for those who don't have them)! Otherwise, you are limiting your audience quite a bit, I would assume.

It looks like an interesting app - definitely innovative due to the use of 3-D glasses!

Any promo codes to test out your app would be appreciated!
    :D

3. BoiledGoose

@vandy1997 - Yep! I have links to Amazon and other places on the site, but it's at the bottom of the page. I should probably put something right at the top - something nice and bright. RainbowSymphony.com will send you glasses for free if you send them a self addressed stamped envelope. But yeah, the 3D glasses issue is my biggest concern :(

I'm sure I'll have a few promo codes left over. I'll shoot you a message when I figure all of that out. :)

4. akame

akame Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I like a promo code too to test your app and give review and comments

5. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    The 3D approach is really interesting. I think I still have a 3D glasses but I'm not sure is the right one for such game... I'll surely check this game tho I'm a bit tired of memory match games.

6. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Yeah, make sure to make that information very obvious!! Thank you for the pomo code offer. Cheers!

7. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Wow! What an innovative idea! I love anything 3-D. I took out my trusty 3-D glasses and checked out all your flikr pictures, as well as the game screens. Really nice...love the picture of Lexie.

As far as pricing, I would definitely start with the 99 cents, and see what kind of response you get. Obviously, most people don't have a pair of 3-D glasses lying around the house so that's a major barrier. Offering it in 2-D may help a bit, as you said.

I think you should prominently feature the address where people can buy them or get them for free. If all of your games (and I know I am being optimistic here) are going to be in 3-D, it's more of an incentive to get the glasses--as opposed to just one game. Even offering a set of your 3-D images as an app--either paid or free--may induce some people to buy the glasses. I think that if people see that they can use the glasses for more than just one game, you will attract more of a following. The more 3-D, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not that big on memory matching games or match 3 games--I kind of overdid it with Aurora Feint and Bejeweled--but I would most likely buy your app for the 3-D effect. Unless, of course, you want to send me a free code! :rolleyes: Good luck!

8. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Hahaha.

Thought this said Analglyphs, and was like wtf is that.

Cool concept though.

9. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    .99 is a good starting point as metioned above. Just DON'T MAKE IT FREE. Search old threads to find out why. Anaglyph-whatever-I-can't-remember sounds really cool!

BTW, people, don't ask for codes or you could be banned! I don't mean to sound like an old woman or anything...:p

10. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Oh, sorry...I didn't know. :(

11. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    It was just somethin' the adminstrators dislike. I hate to see people banned for this.

12. BoiledGoose

Thanks for the input everyone, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!

It seems the consensus is that 99 cents is a good starting price, and that I need to make sure it's VERY easy for people to find 3D glasses. Also, that people are tired of memory match games, so hopefully the 3D aspect, themes and imagery will set it apart - and a Lite version down the road as well.

@s0mah - Anal Glyphs sounds like a different game altogether, though not one easily approved for the App Store! :D

Strangely enough, I hadn't thought about it, but if I saw the word Anal (even by mistake - "Stereoscopic Anal! WTF??!!) in the App Store, I might be inclined to click on it, so that's fine by me if it got your attention. :rolleyes:

@gekkota - Thanks for the thoughtful response (and for the comment on Lexie - she's 12 and slowing down these days, but always a willing subject for photos. :)

You mention that if there are several games in 3D there is more of an incentive to get the glasses - I totally agree!

Assuming the gameplay is solid, the Lite version is well-received, I respond to support emails and am quick to resolve issues and do my best to get the word out about the game - after that it's all about user response.

If there is enough response, it validates the development time on more complex stereoscopic games. The memory match formula lends itself well to the 3D visuals (floating cards, changing backgrounds), but it also allows 'testing the waters' with something simple to see if there is even a demand for stereoscopic games.

If so, it could show other devs there is a market for 3D games. Many existing games in the store could be retrofitted with a 3D mode by swapping textures, so hopefully others take note and jump on board! I myself have several other games that I would love to develop in stereo.

That's an interesting thought about releasing an image pack as a free app to encourage 3D use. Or what about a stereoscopic Photo Hunt game? Has that ever been done?

13. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    interesting idea. Though the gameplay should be somewhat more interesting than a puzzler. but it's a bold move don't you think? when people buy this app, they're gonna need to buy themselves a geeky lookin' 3D glasses. Can't imagine myself wearing one on the sub...

14. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm pretty sure Anal Glyphs 3D was the Unity Engine sequel to iFart :D Anyway, back to topic: 3D is a nice twist on the memory game genre. I hope this does well for you. I might take a look at this myself when it's available, though usually me and 3D don't get along - I think my eyes are red/cyan intolerant!

As for providing the glasses, if it's not too much hassle for you, I'd consider it. Just shows an extra level of developer commitment to their product. Of course, the fact that you're even looking for opinions before release shows you want this to be a product for the users, which is always cool.

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    This is an interesting concept. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

BTW, Denver FTW!

16. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I love 3D - that is a wonderful idea. Luckily I have the necessary glasses sitting at home. Can't wait to check it out!

17. BoiledGoose

@yongkykun - You're right about the glasses, which is why I thought a puzzler might be a good way to test the waters, so to speak. The idea for the game was more a thought that there are probably people like me who have glasses already, and are always looking for fun ways to use them. I'll find out soon enough if there's perhaps a reason no one has spent development time on a 3D game, or if it's an undiscovered niche. (In which case we'll be crawling in iFart clones, er... 3D puzzlers!) :D

But yeah, if the market is there I can see all kinds of uses for 3D glasses.

@PointOfLight - 3D certainly has downsides for some, but I appreciate the kind words. :)

I should say though, my expectations for this are fairly conservative. :cool: Leo Laporte (and friends) made some comments recently that success in the app store isn't about targeting the masses, but finding your niche. In this case I may have found the absolute smallest possible niche in the world!

I don't expect it to hit the top 50... but it would be nice to be able to fund future and better games.

@ Everyone - Thanks again for the feedback. If you are interested in checking it out, make sure you have red/cyan glasses. The recent glasses from the Superbowl promo use weird colors (dark blue and yellow) and won't work. The game uses the red/cyan industry standard glasses. Take a look at the screen shots - if they look 3D you have the right glasses! :)

I've had several people contact me about a gameplay video. I'll work on getting one up today.

18. BoiledGoose

19. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Very nicely done. At first I was thinking "what's the point if I can't see the 3D", but it was still cool to see the game in action. The overall quality of the video was very professional, and I loved the word bubbles out to the side of the device.

20. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008

It looks really nice. :)
    I especially like the winter theme with the falling snow!