Am I just being over PC about certain words used here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BrettArchibald, Feb 17, 2009.

1. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    OP is trolling us >_<

2. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Your Majesty, King Grammar. thxthx

Before that, I was Prince Grammar- never once a Mister.

3. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I would, but it'd be too long.

Most of what you said was actually intelligent. Congrats, iBelong. Your first cognitive post. Mostly.

Thank you. I reread to avoid generalizations, which I thought that I succeeded in doing so.

4. Rozzwell

Rozzwell Active Member

Nov 28, 2008
    OK, first thing is, languages evolve. Words take on different meanings through different generations. 'Gay' has had many changes, from 'prostitute' to 'happy', from happy to gay, and now gay can also mean 'lame' as well as 'happy' or 'homosexual'.

In a few years time you will be able to look in a dictionary, look up 'gay' and one of the definitions will be lame.

I'm not saying I'm for against the current usage of gay. I'm just saying that lanuage evolves whether you like it or not.

Here's an article from the good ol' BBC describing current insults in English schools.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7289390.stm

5. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
  6. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #86 BrettArchibald, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    @ s0mah:

Whilst your sarcastic exaggerated witticisms certainly make for humorous reading — and I mean that genuinely, not bitchily — the very fact that they are sarcastic and exaggerated takes away a lot of the validity of any points you might be making.

Example:
    Who's metaphorically purchasing pitchforks here? No-one, I'd say.
    If you go back to the original post, I said it was "a bit much". Hardly pitchfork-brandishing now is it? Is asking for a little "toning down" really that big of a deal?

Moving on...

I said "deemed unsuitable", not "enforced". Those two terms are worlds apart.
    And if you want to test the subjectivity of these terms, then try using them in a crowd of "real" people, rather than through the anonymity of a website forum, and then see if anyone blinks.

The mods would disagree. All comments I've seen with the mis-use of the words "gay" and "retarded" have been edited or deleted.

To end off for the evening, I think this conversation has deviated somewhat from its original course, and with each post made, more and more mountain is being added to this mole-hill.
    I think a lot has been said, some valid points were made on all sides, as well as some not so valid.
    Personally speaking though, I'd like to draw this to a close. Well, at least as far as my involvement in it goes. I'm going to bed now and probably won't be bothered to drag myself back to this behemoth of a conversation tomorrow morning.
    Feel free to continue without me. ;)

7. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #87 DHrox, Feb 18, 2009
    I guessing that you already know what he said just by the nature of his posts.:D

8. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    #88 pablo19, Feb 18, 2009
    what? an insanely long paragraph that you just keep reading because of how well written it is, even though the topic and opinion don't interest you at all?

I love his posts;)

9. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    You've lost me. What are you talking about?:p:O

10. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I think at at certain point, people need to mind their own business. I hate the way some people dress or people with H2s, but i don't go out of my way to try to correct their habits. Especially on the internet, if you're personally offended say something, if you're worried that other people may be offended, well then you need to find something else to do with your time.