Am I just being over PC about certain words used here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BrettArchibald, Feb 17, 2009.

1. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    gg- we share similar sentiments concerning censorship.

Someone Pulitzer Prize me for that alliteration, btw.

Anywaysanywaysanyways.

Once the satisfaction of bleaching mildly offensive words wears off, the care police will move to strike again. Eventually, we all start speaking in diluted euphemisms and the victorious PC crowd will smile, throw back a handful of granola, and consider how much their social standing would improve if they were to arrive at their next public radio station fund drive, behind the wheel of a smartcar hybrid.

ATTN PPLZ!!!! KILLING TEH WORDS ISN'T WINNING TEH WAR ON INTENT!! YOJOES!!!!

No one is saying:

Yo! I just dled that Puzzle Quest, and dude it's a faggot! Also pplz, -1900 rate downs for this dev cuz in the game script he mentions that he's an austic, crippled gimp, retard.

Words are just words until paranoid people assign personal meaning. When someone falls victim to a personal attack based on prejudiced, bump this thread and I'll hop on the bandwagon. Until then, we should all try to realize that personal opinions are subjective. Because like srsly, people trying to censor because they are offended, really offends me.

imo, lemme issue a rally cry.

2. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sir, im sorry, but i couldnt understand your post. i guess im not hip on the slang or whatever.
    but, if for nothing else

do it for the devs.

it doesnt help if they get reviews that say

"this game is retarted"
    "this game is gay"
    "this game is (censor)"

give them something to work with

i have a question.

If we were allowed to say gay, retared, ect., when would you say them?

3. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I think some people might have misinterpreted Brewster's words...

Where he said:
    — the key part to pick out there is the inclusion of the word "immature", so he's therefore excluding the entire section of the younger generation who are NOT immature. Now of course we have to interpret what "immature" means exactly, but I'm guessing by that he meant the small percentage of the younger generation who are not well-behaved / polite, etc.

4. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    #64 ibelongintheforums, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    ahh............excuse me, i apologize brewster, i read that and rose the defenses
    ill edit my post

5. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    BrettArchi, I really don't use the word 'retarded' all that often. This was just an example of how silly and convulted political correctness is in general.

6. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #66 BrettArchibald, Feb 18, 2009
    I did understand him, and for the *most* part, I do agree with the general points being made. However, I did disagree with the end of his post though, specifically where he said:

Words that form coherent sentences always have some meaning behind them (as opposed to the gibberish meaningless rantings of a madman), I'm sure you'll agree, but who are you to decide that it's only paranoid people who assign personal meaning to them?
    By your definition I'm probably being paranoid right now by picking that out, right?

Anyway, whether or not you personally believe other people have a right to attach personal meaning to words they hear is quite besides the point. What is the point is that, whether we like it or not, the society in which we live has deemed certain words and phrases (and the contextual usage thereof) unsuitable for usage in certain situations, those situations ranging from where you are amongst strangers, elders, in the general public, where politeness is required, etc.

This forum falls into the category of the general public, and therefore one should display some degree of politeness and respect towards other peoples feelings here. You might have to alter what you would normally say from time to time, but people will appreciate you all the more for it.

Thicker-skinned people can say whatever they like in their private lives and amongst friends. And I am one of those people. If you heard how I talk amongst my close friends and how I talk in the general public, you'd swear I was two different people! ;)

7. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    #67 s0mah, Feb 18, 2009
    It's kk. I think that I can easily understand how my usage of complicated grammatical devices such as captilization, and proper sentence structure could confuse true masters of the language. I mean, true masters such as yourself.

Next time I'll try to remember to leave a special translation- just for you. Let me get your technique though. You compose your posts by randomly pressing buttons followed by throwing your keyboard to the floor, right?

ps.

I'm growing fond of the way people are placing their own personal and subjective defintions on TA; like they signed their name under arn's on some secret Illuminati charter.

Which I guess, really sums up the reason that I joined this particular thread:

We're all very attached to this place, and because of this we are all concerned with it's direction. None of us however, are in charge. Have a coke, and a smile, and a moment to reflect that:

Your views are not everyones.

We are Touch Arcade.

You are not.

8. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm not sure whether I want to cheer you on, laugh, cry, or do all at the same time. That was hilarious!

9. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    Sir, I did not say it was a bad point. You just dropped many vowels it was hard to read. Excuse me. I'm sure I would understand your point if you stopped writing like a teenager.

Now I have have to go figure out the teenage slang launguage. ;)

10. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Very true. And it's because of my attachment to this place that I have no desire to see it go downhill because ill-informed people post offensive comments. (I'm generalising on this, rather than alluding to any specifically earlier-mentioned point.)

If by "us" you mean us mere members, then true, but that viewpoint totally ignores that there *ARE* other people in charge here. Admins who make rules and moderators who enforce them.
    If you break or continually bend the rules, then you get to face the consequences of doing so.

Exactly. It's a community. So please respect other people as you would expect them to respect you.
    Do this and I'm sure we'll all get along.

11. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    s0mah

I not trying to enforce my views.
    I'm simply stating them
    If we aren't allowed to do that then what is TA for?

Btw, mr.grammer king, I believe you meant "your" instead of "you're"

12. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Whoa, I forgot, don't correct other peoples' grammar. The Secret TA Police don't like it.

13. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    Uh oh

I can hear the sirens now
    Nananananana
    You will never take me alive!!!!!
    Owww!!!

must............edit............post
    ;)

14. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #74 DHrox, Feb 18, 2009
    Heh, they don't use sirens to announce their arrival. You just suddenly disappear one day.

15. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    they're arrival, or their arrival? ;) :D

16. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    LOL
    Brett
    I'll see u in grammer jail right?

17. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #77 DHrox, Feb 18, 2009
  18. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    not to offend the feline community, but this thread is getting really catty

19. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    Thanks. Alexcieffel.
    Now we have to start another 7 page thread disscussing wether the word feline should be disscussed

*sigh*

20. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    I do agree, and I am definitely not that person.

tbqh, that paranoia comment was first cooked up in the flavor of troll. It was then slightly sauteed in an ad hominem-white wine-rose petal-mixture, in order to deliver a less pungent bouquet.
    ^^^

That's a secret recipe, btw. shhh.

My point though, is this:

ΣK(init) + ΣU(init) = ΣK(final) + ΣU(final)

You (the rhetorical one) invest into this belief that some word is harmful, and eventually the word kills. The word then becomes taboo to an entire society, and is quickly prohibited. Some idiot mutters the word (almost entirely out of original context), and we all line up at the general store to purchase pitchforks.

This process is ridiculous to me.

What if we all just went:

oh, lol. I was confused at first by your description. I now understand that you evidently d/led a homosexuality simulator from the appstore. I applaud the bravery involved announcing to a public forum.

Then of course, they go:

wtf mate, are you retarded or something?

Then again, us:

I don't think that there is anything slowing me down. As a matter of fact, I just got back from a 110m High Hurdles race. I finished in like 13 something, so I dont think so.

last time them:

u sux nub gtfo ur prob a virgin.

Or whatever. At this point, I guess we decide either to become offended by the casual use of virgin, or not.

No it hasn't. Morality isn't enforced anywhere, afaik. Besides, the above concepts are entirely too subjective.

I had premarital sex with my gf last night. Does anyone care? Maybe a 90 y/o app fanatic, who's here to complain because he thought Dr. Awesome was an arthritis diagnostic kit. Should he be allowed to rally all of his WWII vet buddies to have me TOed?

What if I went on to describe that penetration occurred in a place that rhymed with, 'hut'? And this location was chosen because I'm a christian and I don't participate in premarital sex. Count how many people I could have possibly offended.

I mean granted, I'm not thread jacking, nor am I in the Dev forum.

What if I gave you this particular argument under the stipulation that you define a model that represents all who post here.

You'd be hard pressed to find an American, aged 18-30, offended by anything discussed in this thread. As a matter of fact, I fall into the higher end of this range (lolololol believe it or not), and TA is a very, very tame place to me.

I dunno, maybe i'm from teh infrawebz, and nothing offends me. I just feel like establishing ambiguous rules to combat ambiguous things is the wrong way to go.