Am I just being over PC about certain words used here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BrettArchibald, Feb 17, 2009.

1. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Retarded:

–adjective
    1. characterized by retardation: a retarded child.
    –noun
    2. (used with a plural verb) mentally retarded persons collectively (usually prec. by the): new schools for the retarded.

2. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Correct.

This is what really makes me lolololol.

Because you can imagine the effects of homophobia, you suddenly are tapped into the collective consciousness of every gay, lesbian, and bi person on the planet and share similar sensibilities.

How do you come to that conclusion? Where did that entitlement come from?

I think that this would be a good question to ask, I mean for the sake of relevancy:

Did any gay people take any actual offense to the statment?

If not:

How long can we continue the selfrighteous rhetoric? Like, I'm running out of Propaghandi mp3s.

3. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Well, I would assume that if he lived in a place where there were mostly homosexuals and they would use the word "hetero" as something to describe stuff they don't like, that he would feel kinda bad.

Also somebody said that the people who say stuff like "gay" and "retarded" hate gay and retarded people, that is not true in my opinion. I'm sure that most people who use the terms have absolutely nothing against gay or retarded people, but have become so used to hearing the word that way that they have started to use it too.

Hope that makes sense

4. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I think the worst comments on here are not just the ones with "retard" and "gay", but the ones with ""sh*t" and crap like that. I don't apreciate reading someone's post when they say, "This was sh*t!" One could say, "This was crap/bad!" Expletives are unnecessary.

5. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    what's wrong with bad?

6. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    No, I was saying that "bad" could be an alternative to cussing.

7. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Got it. ;)

8. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    #28 s0mah, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    DHrox, I like you, and I enjoy your posts. I'm making this clear up front, because of the internet's natural ability to destroy jkjk;););)jk type undertones (with special predeliction concerning this type of conversation).

Anyways.

What kind of ammo is the shitgun in Hill Billy gonna use?

Are you still waiting for it?

9. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #29 DHrox, Feb 17, 2009
    IDK about the ammo, but now I'm saving up for it AND waiting for it. And thanks for the comment!

EDIT: Just realized your joke. Nice, you pulled a fast one on me!:O:p

10. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    #30 BrettArchibald, Feb 17, 2009
    Yes, well, there's a very good example of a point I made in my original post about how I'm not actually all *that* PC myself, because that particular usage bugs the crap out of me!
    I do agree with the point you were *alluding* to there, because Africa is a continent and being African implies that you're from that continent.
    I myself was born and raised in Zimbabwe, a country in Africa, and I'm proud to call myself both a Zimbabwean (despite what that cock Mugabe has done to the place!) and an African. But I am white. Does that mean I can't call myself African? Like hell it does!

When the term African-American is used to describe a black American who has never set foot in the damn continent, I do think that is indeed a case of being overly politically-correct.
    There's nothing wrong with being called black, just as there's nothing wrong with being called white.

Aaaaaaaaanyway... :rolleyes:

It's all opinions isn't it? And that's what I was asking for in the OP...

11. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #31 BrettArchibald, Feb 17, 2009
    Oh absolutely. I fully believe that too. It doesn't make it OK though.
    The ignorance on the relaxed and thoughtless usage of such words in a crowd of people who may not appreciate them is what the "problem" is.

It's all about there being a right time and place for everything. I'm OK with calling my best friend a c*cks*cker, to his face, and he's OK with it too, because he knows I'm just kidding around.
    But I'm not gonna come on the TA forums and start calling other people around here c*cks*ckers, no matter whether I'm joking or not.

I just feel that what *should* be a nice friendly forum is not a place to use words that, come on, let's face it, are quite obviously considered offensive by most people, when mis-used.

12. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I think what you're trying to get at there is: Who am I to talk about gay people if I'm not gay. Well I have been subject to rascism so therefore I can imagine how it feels having felt these emotions myself. Also, I don't understand how my comment would offend gay people.

They weren't always called blonde jokes...

13. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    I also agree, however, i've flagged a few posts now, and they have gone unchanged. I'm not sure if if im not being taken seriously, or maybe, the mods dont care. either way, I think it reflects badly on the reputation of this site and its members, when a guest, or current user looks through the forums and finds, " yea, I played this game for a bit, and the graphics are gay".

Just my opinion, personally, I strive to be a little more progressive than this.

Also, many claim TA to be "heavily moderated". but examples kinda prove otherwise.

14. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Well, SalsaMD, wastedyuthe, notyou... all of them do a great job at keeping threads on topic and adding additional video links and info to specific game posts.

15. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Yea, for 3 mods and 2 admins, all of them having their own jobs and lives, this site is running surprisingly well and I tip my hat to each and every one of them. As for these words, they're really immature and people are expected to outgrow using them by the time they hit high school, or just not use them at all. All these kids posting those words are clearly just young, and I'm not saying it's OK, but they just need to grow up some and realize something as simple as saying "stupid" online on these forums works better than saying "gay" or "retarded".

16. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Ya, sadly, to the American youth today both gay and retarded are considered synonyms to stupid...

17. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA

A friendly bit of advice: I'd watch what you quote Brett, a friend of mine was banned permanently for just such an action......

18. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Huh? What have I quoted that you're referring to there...? :confused:

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #39 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    No, no, no. I may have been unclear. My buddy edng, was banned permanently for quoting an expletive, that another member used; I'm simply saying I would be careful even quoting words such as those.

I do agree with the thread topic, people here should understand that anything deemed discriminatory has no reason to be used here, a video game forum site.:rolleyes:

20. No, EDNG was banned for other reasons (which we won't go into). In this case, quoting these words because they are the reason for the discussion is fine.