Am I just being over PC about certain words used here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BrettArchibald, Feb 17, 2009.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Within the past mere 10 minutes, I have come across two separate posts on this site where people had used the words "gay" and "retarded" to convey their negative feelings towards a couple of games...

Now I really wouldn't call myself an overly PC person at the best of times, but jeez, I *DO* draw the line somewhere, and I think using those words in that context is a bit much.

And no, I'm neither gay nor retarded myself, in case anyone was wondering whether I had taken offence personally...

Is it just me? What's next? Calling a game "a bit too black for my liking"...???

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    what do you mean by "overly PC"?

And I agree with everything else but this isn't news sadly the internet is a breeding ground for those types of comments

3. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    PC = "Politically-correct"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Yeah, I know, it's unfortunate. :(
    But I suppose what I'm asking here is, should the mods jump on this, or should we just ignore these kids...?

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I hear you, and agree with you.
    I think maybe we as users should report that we find the post offensive.

5. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I already replied to him with a link to this thread (the person who posted "gay"). But I guess only thing you can do is report them, and them getting a warning, which is a good thing, but most people don't report b/c they are kind of afraid everyone hates them after.

6. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    #6 Thorero, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    Brett, I entirely agree with you. There is a limit to describing things, and this passes that limit. How about "The game was way too Red Neck for me...." I'm not any of the things listed above, but I imagine if I was Homosexual, or Mentally Retarded, I would take offense to these terms being used on what's meant to be a nice, civil forum.

Pablo, by overly PC he's wondering if he's being to Politically Correct.

EDIT

Wow, I thought I typed that out rather quickly. Sorry for describing PC again.

7. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    Yeah, I've got that, he explained in his next post, I was wondering cause I thought he meant windows.

8. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I like this forum because most of the people are polite and patient. However, it is getting like the Ipod Touch Fans Forums.

You don't have to agree with everybody, but we should respect each other. I just don't understand why some people are so angry.

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one bothered by this (though would it be offensive if I described Hill Billy as "too Redneck"? - j/k :D)

10. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    #10 s0mah, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
    No, but I'm sure that you could easily get away with:

The graphics were cheap, and the whole production was ghetto.

imo, essentially no difference between the statements.

11. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    So what are you saying? Only black people live in ghettos?

12. I completely agree about certain words used. The "gay" comment has now been changed by the poster to be fair to them, so I have now changed the quotes on it too, and removed the post from Pablo which directly refers to that comment as it is now redundant.
    I also changed the "retarded" comment to "silly".
    Using these words for description in this manner is not right. If anyone does see any more, then just report the post and we'll do the rest ;)

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Personally, I believe political correctness can be more of a problem than anything. I went to school in San Francisco where they are EXTREMELY liberal and always try to be politically correct. I think it's great that they're trying to create equality, but the hot word over there is "tolerance." They use it to mean that we should all get along, but it really means that we should just put up with each other and hide our feelings. It creates tons of passive aggressive tension.

I do think that we should all get along and put up with each other, but I don't see the need to pretend you don't feel a certain way when you really do. Pretending you're not prejudice isn't going to help anything. Lynching people for using politically incorrect words is just an attempt to hide the problem. One the other end of that, you really shouldn't get offended by something a complete stranger says.

I'm talking about the outside world here, not the forums.

As far as the forums go, I won't delete something unless I think it's actually offensive to someone. If I get a report about a post, I'll definitely delete it or edit it.

I think this is a good discussion. Don't think I'm trying to be opinionated here. I'm actually curious how others feel about it.

14. A statement I completely disagree with.

Something I do agree with. That's why I said what I said in my last post. If someone is offended, report the post and we'll deal with it.

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I definitely don't practice that all the time. If I hear a public figure say something that I personally find offensive, I get very irritated. If it's just some random person... let's just say I've been known to get in people's faces... especially when I lived in New York City. But that's another story... actually, that's quite a few stories.:rolleyes:

What I was getting at in my statement, though, was that people will think and say things we don't like all the time, but you cant take offense to all of it. You can have pride and keep a stiff upper lip at the same time. A lot of it is cultural too. I know that opinions on this topic vary greatly in different countries. It even varies between different areas of the US. Where I grew up, passive aggressiveness was pretty much unheard of. People didn't generally hide it when they had a problem with somebody else. When I lived in California and New York, it completely the other way around.

16. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I disagree. Never ever censor yourself (well, other than the obvious i.e. shouting fire in a crowded theater or if you might get fired/in trouble for your rhetoric). People need to get thicker skin, and I don't like the idea of someone else telling me what I can and cannot say.

17. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Some phrases used in the threads are completely uncalled for. In Ireland the kids use the term 'gay' as an everyday offence to anyone who's different. For starters it's not what gay actually means and secondly there's nothing wrong being a homosexual. I'm not gay but I can imagine what they have go through in today's society. It's quite ironic, the people who call people gay usually have gay tendencies themselves.

18. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Nope, but thxthx for attempting to color me a racist (also for the slight dose of poison in my wells). There is however, a popular public inference that 'black' and 'ghetto' are almost entirely synonomous. I'm speaking entirely from an American prospective, btw.

Which is slightly ironic imo, seeing as how 'American' has become such a popular synonym for the word, 'ignorant' around the world.

Blah, blah, blah.

My very loose (loose like hookers? rhyming with noose?) point is something like this:

Anyone can find anything offensive about everything.

Initially, you said 'black'.

I'm offended that you didn't use the afro- prefix. ie. African-American, Afro-Japanese, whatever, whatever. etc, etc, infinity, infinity.

Fire extinguishers retard, and Jet magazine has what's new in ghetto chic. My tag was invalid, but I parked there anyways for the sake of my invalid grandmother's convenience. It's not yet springtime, but I still feel pretty, witty, and gay.

I hope that your black (lol), fascist markers have enough ink to scribble out everything.

19. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    My point is that people are overely sensitive and there are way too many non-PC words to keep track of, so why bother? For cyring out loud, calling someone deaf or blind are now supposedly insulting; we're supposed to say they are instead hearing or visual impaired.

I mean, is it just me or is that retarded.

20. highonlife

highonlife Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    OK, you guys need to realize you're going totally overboard.

Retarded means slow/delayed/decelerated. Do you guys call the city when you drive by a sign that prohibits brake retarding? Calling a game retarded shouldn't offend anyone. It just means it was stupid, or they didn't like it. You are definitely trying too hard to be politically correct in this situation.

I can see how people could be affected by gay, but there's no reason to censor it or report it as a violation on the forums.

I wish more people on the internet worked a real blue collar job for a week so they could get an idea as to what life outside their cozy universities and khaki jobs is like. I live in one of the highest per capita income counties in all of America and go to a very esteemed university, and I can't help but shake my head reading this pathetic little PC **** measuring contest.